Corsair Community

RMA done quickly but concerned about heatsinks on new RAM

tigerstyle

Hello

I recently RMA'd some memory, TWINX, 2 CMX512-3200C2PT modules. I received new modules last night. I must say that the RMA was completed much faster than I expected. It was less than a week from the time I shipped that I had replacement product. Thank you Corsair, your service is fantastic!

I have a concern with the replacement modules. They work fine, but physically they are different than before. The heat sinks do not seem to fit the modules properly! The metal is too small for the PCB inside. The circuit board prevents the ends of the heatsink from meeting each other. This would be fine if it were designed that way, but the last modules were not like this. Also, the clips used to hold the heatsink plates on the module keep the center of the plates touching, so the plates actually bow open at the ends where the PCB sticks through. I know heatsinks require good surface contact with the IC's in order to sink any heat. There cannot be significant contact on the outer IC's if the heatsink is flexed away at the ends.

This may seem like a small issue, but it concerns me. It does not seem consistant with the quality of the original product. Is there anything that can be done about this? Should I be concerned?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue.

T :confused:

Hello

I recently RMA'd some memory, TWINX, 2 CMX512-3200C2PT modules. I received new modules last night. I must say that the RMA was completed much faster than I expected. It was less than a week from the time I shipped that I had replacement product. Thank you Corsair, your service is fantastic!

I have a concern with the replacement modules. They work fine, but physically they are different than before. The heat sinks do not seem to fit the modules properly! The metal is too small for the PCB inside. The circuit board prevents the ends of the heatsink from meeting each other. This would be fine if it were designed that way, but the last modules were not like this. Also, the clips used to hold the heatsink plates on the module keep the center of the plates touching, so the plates actually bow open at the ends where the PCB sticks through. I know heatsinks require good surface contact with the IC's in order to sink any heat. There cannot be significant contact on the outer IC's if the heatsink is flexed away at the ends.

This may seem like a small issue, but it concerns me. It does not seem consistant with the quality of the original product. Is there anything that can be done about this? Should I be concerned?

Thank you for taking the time to consider my issue.

T :confused:

I have noticed the same thing :sigh!:

• Corsair Employees
You are welcome to contact customer service by replying to the email you got your RMA# with and we will be happy to replace them again at our expence. Or you can call them at 888-222-4346 and dial "0" that wqill take you right to them.

Archived