Corsair Community

Bad TWINX XMS3200 dimm

veratio

I believe I have a bad module. I purchased a double pack of TWINX XMS3200 from ZipZoomFly.com (who doesn't support memory modules). After the machine started behaving strangely (programs crashing, etc) I tested the RAM with the Microsoft memory tester. Only one of the tests was passing each pass. I took out one of the dimms and they all still failed. I took out the second dimm and replaced the first and everything passed with flying colors. I'm now using my computer with one of the 512 MB dimms and it hasn't crashed since, so I assume that it is a problem with the RAM. Need an RMA # so I can send it back for testing and replacement.

Thanks

You seem to be asking this of other users:

I'm running a Pentium 4 3.2 GHz in an ABIT IC7-G. I have tested the good and bad ram dimms in all the mobo slots. I believe the FSB on the processor is 400MHz, I haven't done any overclocking of the processor. The SPD settings as detected by the motherboard were 2.5, 2, 2, 5 latency timings. I tried testing them with this setting as well as with 2, 2, 2, 5, which is what the ram is advertised as being capable of. I'm currently running the working dimm at 2, 2, 2, 5. The voltage given to the ram was originally set on the mobo as being 2.4v, I think. I tried it at that, and upped it to 2.8V, (what i'm running it at now.) If I remember correctly, the mfg. suggested voltage was 2.7V, but my mobo will only give 2.6 or 2.8. I tried both, and got the same results.

• Corsair Employees

Please put the memory module on slot 1 & 3; make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB, and set the following settings on your BIOS;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200XL

Softmenu Setup

CPU Operating Speed: User Define

CPU Clock/AGP/PCI: 200/66/33

Memory Clock: 400MHz

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1

AGP ratio: Fixed

AGP/PCI: 66/33

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

DDR Voltage: 2.8/2.85 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced Chipset:

SDRAM Timing Settings: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Please put the memory module on slot 1 & 3; make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB, and set the following settings on your BIOS;

TwinX512 or TwinX1024-3200XL

Softmenu Setup

CPU Operating Speed: User Define

CPU Clock/AGP/PCI: 200/66/33

Memory Clock: 400MHz

CPU/DRAM ratio: 1:1

AGP ratio: Fixed

AGP/PCI: 66/33

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

DDR Voltage: 2.8/2.85 Volts

AGP Voltage: Default *unless you have ATI (9200 or 9600) or NVIDIA (5200 or 5700) then 1.6 Volts suggested!*

Advanced Chipset:

SDRAM Timing Settings: User Define

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

I've already done everything you've detailed, with the same results.

Archived