Corsair Community

iCUE doesn't switch to profile linked to World of Warcraft

DukeBlackberry

I bought a Scimitar Pro and love it so far, I only have one problem. With all my other linked programs, iCUE switches fast and reliably, but when I open World of Warcraft, the mouse just stays on the previously active profile.

Any idea why it won't switch? I'm playing on an earlier version of WoW, so the linked .exe is over a decade old and 32bit, but that shouldn't matter, right? Linking to another .exe in a working profile also doesn't work.

Thanks!

...Linking to another .exe in a working profile also doesn't work....

can you elaborate what you tried here?

I don't have the game but someone can probably tell you better if the exe may be not what it appears to be.

There is no loader or whatever like Battle.net for example?

Also, I know it is a pain, but you can manually switch if all else fails?

All Blizzard games use versioning for patching their games. This means that the actual location of the .exe that runs the game changes based on the current version. The launcher keeps track of the location and runs the most recent version of the game. Some programs I have run into do not handle some launchers correctly and assume the launcher's .exe is the proper one, or for whatever reason do not detect when the launcher runs the game. Try directing the profile to the specific version location of the .exe of WoW you are using and see if that helps.

can you elaborate what you tried here?

Oops, that wasn't very clear. So the automatic profile switch works for example for Battlefield. When I start the game, the mouse switches from my standard profile to the Battlefield profile. When I change the linked .exe in the Battlefield profile to the one of WoW, it will not switch when I start WoW. I just wanted to rule out that I made a mistake somewhere in setting up the profile.

And yes, manual switching works, it's just annoying because everytime I alt+tab out of the game, it switches to my standard profile (linked to explorer.exe) but not back again.

There is no loader or whatever like Battle.net for example?

All Blizzard games use versioning for patching their games

This version doesn't have a launcher, and I made sure to link to the correct (and only) .exe in that folder by using the taskmanager to get to the folder of the running WoW.exe.

Check you screen mode

Great idea! Unfortunately disabling windowed mode had no effect.

Edited by DukeBlackberry

In task manager right click the game eve that's running and open the file location. Maybe its not the main exe that running?

That's exactly what I did to get to the .exe in the first place. Other than the WoW.exe, there's a WoWError.exe, which is only active when something goes wrong and it isn't running when the game is active. There are no other .exe files.

inheritance he said he checked taskmanager i think.

So maybe do you use GLOSC or something like that? like a controller overlay? That might be part of the problem.

I do hope future iCUE releases have a title match mode or similar so we can broaden the profile specificity in case we want to have one profile apply to more than one application and that might also cover cases like this or when running windows XAML apps rather than executable programs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
All Blizzard games use versioning for patching their games. This means that the actual location of the .exe that runs the game changes based on the current version. The launcher keeps track of the location and runs the most recent version of the game. Some programs I have run into do not handle some launchers correctly and assume the launcher's .exe is the proper one, or for whatever reason do not detect when the launcher runs the game. Try directing the profile to the specific version location of the .exe of WoW you are using and see if that helps.

This is accurate. The only reason why iCUE isn't changing your profiles is because its not detecting the proper .exe in the foreground. There has to be an additional file that WoW is linking to for the application. I would contact Blizzard Support to see where that file is if you can't find the .exe in the build folders.

I'm still using CUE 2.24 and not planning on changing anytime soon, but I have a similar problem. CUE works fine with the current version of WoW, but it doesn't recognize when I play Vanilla WoW. Both profiles are pointing to the same-named executable (in different directories), but Vanilla isn't recognized. Granted, I haven't spent much time tracking this down, but I wanted to throw my experience into the ring.

Will be watching this to see if there is any resolution.

• 4 weeks later...
This is accurate. The only reason why iCUE isn't changing your profiles is because its not detecting the proper .exe in the foreground. There has to be an additional file that WoW is linking to for the application. I would contact Blizzard Support to see where that file is if you can't find the .exe in the build folders.

Thank you for your answer, but as stated previously, I linked directly to wow.exe, the only running .exe while the game is playing. The version of the game I'm playing does not use any launchers or other .exes.

Just as GumbyDammit223 said, it works for the current version of WoW, but not the original Vanilla WoW. Admittedly, it's an old program, but it works flawlessly with Razer Synapse, so it must be possible...

Maybe an older Corsair software works? Does anyone know what the oldest CUE is that still supports the Scimitar Pro?

• 1 year later...