Corsair Community

How to buy just HD120 RGB fans with lighting node?

techjedi

It looks like the HD RGB fans only come with the hub and older static controller with three buttons (speed/color/mode) that don't have all the color or animation options. In order to get the more advanced effects, you need a lighting node or commander pro to use with Link or iCUE.

The newer fans like ML RGB and LL RGB have the lighting node in the multi packs, while the HD RGB do not. I don't need the expensive commander pro and I think the HD fans are the best looking, so I feel like I have to buy ML or LL fans just to sell the fans and keep the lighting node for use with the HD fans. There is also the lighting node Pro kit with the lighting strips, but I don't like/need lighting strips and they don't resell as well as ML/LL fans.

Can I just buy a lighting node for $20 somewhere by itself?

The HD fans are an older product and came before the LL/ML series. Those fans come with a lighting node pro because they do not work without it. I agree the HD fans are much better when utilized with software controls and the irony is all of these fans require iCUE to be active to make their patterns work at this time. Prices vary by region, but typically the HD multipacks sell for less to accommodate this. In my area the HD120 x 3 is $74 compared to the $107 for LL120 x 3 with LNP. That is pretty close to equivalent.

As for your resale and depreciation values, sorry you are looking at the wrong thing if you consider these fans value assets. This is a luxury good for sure and their acquisition should judged as such.

It looks like the HD RGB fans only come with the hub and older static controller with three buttons (speed/color/mode) that don't have all the color or animation options. In order to get the more advanced effects, you need a lighting node or commander pro to use with Link or iCUE.

The newer fans like ML RGB and LL RGB have the lighting node in the multi packs, while the HD RGB do not. I don't need the expensive commander pro and I think the HD fans are the best looking, so I feel like I have to buy ML or LL fans just to sell the fans and keep the lighting node for use with the HD fans. There is also the lighting node Pro kit with the lighting strips, but I don't like/need lighting strips and they don't resell as well as ML/LL fans.

Can I just buy a lighting node for $20 somewhere by itself?

You could always try ebay as people do buy multiple sets of LL/ML fans and don't need duplicate fan hubs and LNPs. I have seen the LNP w/ strips sell for ~$50 at Best Buy and some other online retailers. The strips are a good quality and have magnets so you can easily mount them to your steel case.

One advantage to getting the HD-120 set w/o the LNP, is if you buy multiple sets of them. The lower up front cost saves money saves money, if you buy multiple sets of 3, like I did.

The HD fans are an older product and came before the LL/ML series. Those fans come with a lighting node pro because they do not work without it. I agree the HD fans are much better when utilized with software controls and the irony is all of these fans require iCUE to be active to make their patterns work at this time. Prices vary by region, but typically the HD multipacks sell for less to accommodate this. In my area the HD120 x 3 is $74 compared to the $107 for LL120 x 3 with LNP. That is pretty close to equivalent.

That's great its cheaper, so if the lighting node was available by itself, it would even out. Having to buy HD120x3 for $74 and then LL120x3 for $107 to then sell the 3 LL fans is a lot of pointless work. I am really bought into this system and I like it, I am just asking Corsair to let me spend more money with them instead of getting frustrated by the buying options. When I build my daughter's machine, I really hope I don't have to go through this whole ordeal of buying fan packs I don't like just for the node and sell the fans to keep the node, etc.

As for your resale and depreciation values, sorry you are looking at the wrong thing if you consider these fans value assets. This is a luxury good for sure and their acquisition should judged as such.

Who said I considered them assets for resale or depreciation values? I am just optimizing what packs I must buy to get the parts I need and be able to sell the parts I don't need. Corsair should let me buy the parts I want without requiring me to buy a bundle and sell off parts of it, etc.

You could always try ebay as people do buy multiple sets of LL/ML fans and don't need duplicate fan hubs and LNPs. I have seen the LNP w/ strips sell for ~$50 at Best Buy and some other online retailers. The strips are a good quality and have magnets so you can easily mount them to your steel case.

I just don't like RGB strips. While that pack is less expensive, the strips don't sell as well as the fans, so I actually pay less buying a ML or LL 3 fan pack and sell the fans vs buying the lighting node strip pack and selling the strips, etc.

One advantage to getting the HD-120 set w/o the LNP, is if you buy multiple sets of them. The lower up front cost saves money saves money, if you buy multiple sets of 3, like I did.

Yep. I would pay as much for the HD as the ML/LL if they had the lighting node, I just think they have a superior look.