Corsair Community

XMS 512MB 3200C2PT Problems?

wasmith

My setup:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe v2.0

Xorsair XMS 512MB 3200C2PT x 3 ("optimal setting and running in dual channel at 200mhz)

Athlon XP 2500+ (not overclocked)

Thermaltake SubzeroG TEC cooling system

350w PSU (came with my aspire x-dreamer II case)

EVGA Nvidia 6600GT AGP w/ 128meg DDR3

I have had these sticks (3) for a little over a year now (Jan. 04) and have always encountered random system reboots while playing graphic intensive games.

But, I always contributed it to an overheating or power supply problem.

After I started playing Counter Strike Source, I would get these reboots more often.

So, I d/l'd and ran motherboard monitor to watch my heat and voltages. They're all within tolerance when the reboots occur.

So, I was told to d/l Prime95 (instead of memtest) and run the torture test for most memory usage. I got critical failure immediately.

I adjusted memory timings from the "optimal" setting in the BIOS to 3 3 3 6 and manually to 2 3 3 6. Both settings still fail immediately in Prime95 torture test.

Although the documentation for Pime95 says that my PSU or overheating can cause such problems, I find it unlikely due to my stable temps and voltages.

Should running memtest on each stick individually be my next step? The reason I ask, is because I was told in an AMD mobo forum that Prime95 caught more failures than memtest. So, I figured if it would test more thoroughly, it was the logical choice in testing software.

What suggestions do you have for me?

Sure thing...sorry about that. I basically have all my BIOS settings at the default or Optimal settings.

CPU

Clock: 166

Multiplier: auto setting (multiplier of 11 shows greyed out)

Voltage: 1.65v (default)

System Performance: "Optimal" setting

Memory

Timing: "Optimal" setting (have also manually set timings to 2-3-3-6 and 3-3-3-6)

Frequency: "by speed" (have tried 100% as well)

voltage: 2.6v (default)

• Corsair Employees

Please load setup defaults and then set the follow timings manually and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

System Performance: User Define

Memory Frequency: 100%

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 7T

Hey, I've got almost the exact same setup as outlined above, except I only have 2 sticks instead of 3. I pulled 1 out and the other passed memtest 4 times (just to be thurough) and the other comes up with errors at the same byte address every time I run the test. It also happens in all 3 memory slots. I followed the tech support steps you outlined, resetting the bios to the default settings and manually specifying the voltages and timines and so on, but it hasn't fixed the problem. Where do I go from here?

Update:

I followed your instructions and tested (using memtest) each stick in the same slot at the settings your suggested.

I tested each stick 4 times and no errors were detected at all.

So, I put all 3 sticks back in and kept the suggested settings. I ran Prime95 (which puked everytime previously) and it actually ran for 3 hours with no errors before I stopped the torture test.

Bottom line: Your product works as advertised with the settings you suggested.

I'm not too sure why running the sticks at 2.6v and at "by speed" caused my problems. But, I'm just glad they're working perfectly.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

Archived