Corsair Community

iCUE profile keeps flickering between program and default

Ticky

Recently, I found that as soon as I link a profile to a program in iCUE, whenever I switch to that profile to edit it, it keeps switching back to the default profile I have. Sometimes it lingers on the linked profile for a couple seconds, then switches back to default. Also, when I open that program itself, I can see my keyboard lighting flickering between the linked profile and the default profile, and the iCUE window shows that the selected profile keeps changing by itself between the linked and default profiles, as if it can't decide which one to settle on.

It seemed to be working fine last week, so I have been trying to work backwards to see what could have caused this problem to start, but I was wondering if anyone had any clues about why the profile would flicker back and forth like this. If I remove the link to the program and just switch manually to the different profiles, it works fine, but obviously it's less convenient, and I have several different linked profiles to different programs, all of which have the same problem.

This typically happens when the OS loses focus on the program. For example, you Link a profile to a game in Steam and its .exe. There is always that moment between launcher and full screen game mode. It would be normal to see the keyboard and any other lights go back to default for a moment.

Is it more than that? Sustained flickering? Are you on Win 10 1803? There certainly are some issues with the new focus assist and that feature now seems to cause more harm than good. Try disabling it entirely (ALL the toggles off).

It's not just when the program starts, it continues even though it seems like the program window is still in focus. For example, I have a profile for Microsoft Word that lets me use two mouse buttons for undo and redo, and just leaving the Word document open, the profiles switch back and forth every couple seconds.

Last night though, I disabled my XMP profile in the BIOS, and that actually solved the problem. iCUE Profiles were stable and didn't switch from program to default when I opened different programs. When I turned the XMP profile back on, the problem didn't come back either. I don't know enough to reason through why this resolved it, but I'm glad it worked.