Corsair Community

Can the h60 pump be installed sideways? And other related questions

natheraf

I just installed my h60 and have installed the motor sideways with pipes going in from the top. Is this an issue? Also I plugged in the motor into a system fan instead of the cpu fan. I read online that the motor should be plugged into a system fan slot. Please correct me if I'm incorrect.Also does the setting on the system fan that is connected to the motor have to be on pwm or dc in bios?

image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vvK-NMhVXCi34n2hQGTYnefA8zWeMfA0

The pump orientation should not matter in a properly working unit, so it is fine to put the hoses at the top. If you start to hear a lot of gurgling from the pump at some point down the road, then it might bear another look or some gentle rocking to free the air bubbles.

It really does not matter what type of header you use to power the H60 and there are varying reasons to use one or another, most often based on location. However, there are some things you must do. The pump needs 12v at all times. Technically it is a DC device, but a common fail safe is to set it to PWM which is 12v all the time. You do not want your motherboard to try and control the pump like a fan. Set the controlling header to 100% or "disabled" on some boards. You can additionally set it to PWM, just in case.

Something has to be on CPU Fan for your system to boot. On some boards, putting the pump header there is advantageous and CPU fan is not a useful header for case fan control. Usually the BIOS will let you know when you don't do this and you get a boot error. You can also power the pump from a molex or sata to 3 pin connector and power it straight from the PSU. That doesn't mean you should, it just goes back to the rule you need to give the pump 12v at all times. Make sure your SYS FAN header is set to 100%.