Corsair Community

iCUE forgetting Pump Speed for H100i v2

fightinfilipino

basically the thread title. every time i restart my computer, iCUE forgets that i've set the pump speed on the H100i v2 to extreme.

i've tried saving the profile. i've double checked that iCUE is starting with Windows. can't seem to get the setting to stick. what is going on?

running Windows 10 x64.

OK, I was trying to differentiate between a few potential issues.

1) The cooler's fimrware forces you to balanced (~2000) without Link/iCUE. This could be by design or it could be related to how the cooler interprets the re-naming of the speeds in iCUE. You would think they are programmed as speed values like 1, 2, 3.. but I don't know. One way to check is to set Extreme, then reboot to the BIOS. In the BIOS you should be able to see 1/2 of the pump speed on CPU fan. If it is near 1000, it went to balanced and this is a firmware/settings issue. If at 1500, then the device has remembered and it's a software issue. That leads to #2.

2) There are various reports of the iCUE resetting to base defaults on boot/wake. Most of these relate to the Commander Pro, but if it can forget the settings of one I am not sure why the other would be immune. I don't know if you can set a fan profile without fans being connected, but change the imaginary fan profile to extreme as well and see if that sticks.

Then there is #3. iCUE has no way to manually save settings to the device, at this time. It is possible the pump speed is correctly reverting to the balanced setting you saved to the cooler at some previous point in Link. This then overrides the software setting or is incompatible in some other way on boot. I always use balanced and have not noticed this before, although we have different coolers and that may be key. However, I do an a lot of flip flopping between iCUE and Link and have not seen this happen. Still, there were changes in iCUE 3.4 that affect the device settings. People with RGB fans no longer get the forced rainbow and my prior colors settings saved to the device from Link now show on boot, before the software profile takes over. Other settings may work this way as well.

I would take a look at #1 first and see where this takes you.

Then there is #3. iCUE has no way to manually save settings to the device, at this time. It is possible the pump speed is correctly reverting to the balanced setting you saved to the cooler at some previous point in Link. This then overrides the software setting or is incompatible in some other way on boot. I always use balanced and have not noticed this before, although we have different coolers and that may be key. However, I do an a lot of flip flopping between iCUE and Link and have not seen this happen. Still, there were changes in iCUE 3.4 that affect the device settings. People with RGB fans no longer get the forced rainbow and my prior colors settings saved to the device from Link now show on boot, before the software profile takes over. Other settings may work this way as well.

I would take a look at #1 first and see where this takes you.

Yes, it does but it's a bit tricky to find - and certainly not intuitive. In iCue, do the following:

1) Select the device. Go to any tab. (Logical so far. Different from Link but logical.)

2) Go to the hamburger menu on "Profiles" (huh? Profiles? what?? Yeah, Profiles).

3) In that menu, you'll see something that looks like an SD card. (This is apparently the new-fangled save icon, replacing the "floppy disk" icon. Which I get as these young 'uns have never seen a floppy disk.) This will have the tooltip "Save Static Lighting and Performance to Device".

4) Click the SD Card icon.

Yes, it does

Yikes, 37 whiny posts later.... How did that not make the patch notes for 3.4.95? I have been complaining about this since day 1. Well, that's good and it also explains why why fans no longer spiral rainbow at every chance. I'll have to see what I can do with those, but it's already better rainbow free. (EDIT: Hmmm.. this is not working for me. 0 for 3 on trying to save a static white pump color. Back to rainbow cycle every time. You may have to explain this to me elsewhere).

So, now revised Step 1. Set it to Extreme. Then use the drop down menu to save it to the device (pump). Restart to BIOS and see what speed it is at. Remember the BIOS will show half of the actual speed.

Edited by c-attack

Yikes, 37 whiny posts later.... How did that not make the patch notes for 3.4.95? I have been complaining about this since day 1. Well, that's good and it also explains why why fans no longer spiral rainbow at every chance. I'll have to see what I can do with those, but it's already better rainbow free. (EDIT: Hmmm.. this is not working for me. 0 for 3 on trying to save a static white pump color. Back to rainbow cycle every time. You may have to explain this to me elsewhere).

So, now revised Step 1. Set it to Extreme. Then use the drop down menu to save it to the device (pump). Restart to BIOS and see what speed it is at. Remember the BIOS will show half of the actual speed.

I'm not sure what build it was first in; I found it quite by accident. I don't think it's perfect for all devices and it only applies to the coolers but it does appear to work on my H100i V2, IIRC.

so i ended up finding a fix in a different way.

i created a new profile, saved all my settings to that profile, deleted the original profile, and rebooted.

iCUE seems to be applying all my settings consistently now on reboot. i did install iCUE over an old CUE install (had LINK as well but uninstalled that per Corsair's Youtube video instructions). maybe the issue had something to do with the old profile being, er, old?

It’s possible. I am not sure why iCUE occasionally “resets” and puts you back to defaults, but that is what we digging at in #2 before our little side conversation. On the bright side, I had this happen 5 times in 24 hours on an earlier build, essentially remapped the settings similarly to what you have done, and it has never happened again. No reason to expect it to bork on every boot and the most logical cause of these forgetful moments might be a glitch in the profile preventing it from being read.