Corsair Community

Goal: Have EVERYTHING run through iCue

Reap3r160

Hey guys,

with the new iCue software seemingly combining CUE and Corsair link, and most of my build consisting of corsair products, I'm looking to have my rig basically be completely controllable through iCue and am wondering what I need to buy to make that happen.

Here is what I currently have

Corsair 460x RGB Case(With the included lighting node)

3x SP120 RGB fans

2x SP120 Blue Fans

H100i(old version) cooler

So what do I need to buy to have fan speed, rgb, etc all controllable through the link software. I believe all my fans are 3 pin, and am unsure if even the commander node can control fan speed with those. I know the 4th pin is what gives that control but I've heard conflicting reports that the node can do it with 3? I would also like to add an RGB strip inside the case to brighten it up a tad.

What I THINK I need

Commander Node Pro

MAYBE Some 3 pack of PWM fans?

RGB strip kit

Thanks all!

Hey guys,

with the new iCue software seemingly combining CUE and Corsair link, and most of my build consisting of corsair products, I'm looking to have my rig basically be completely controllable through iCue and am wondering what I need to buy to make that happen.

Here is what I currently have

Corsair 460x RGB Case(With the included lighting node)

3x SP120 RGB fans

2x SP120 Blue Fans

H100i(old version) cooler

So what do I need to buy to have fan speed, rgb, etc all controllable through the link software. I believe all my fans are 3 pin, and am unsure if even the commander node can control fan speed with those. I know the 4th pin is what gives that control but I've heard conflicting reports that the node can do it with 3? I would also like to add an RGB strip inside the case to brighten it up a tad.

What I THINK I need

Commander Node Pro

MAYBE Some 3 pack of PWM fans?

RGB strip kit

Thanks all!

Fans can be controlled two was:

1) Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). Uses 12v constantly and pulses 12v at different length to adjust speed. It is more efficient and can achieve lower RPMs for a fan. (4th Pin Connector Fan)

2) Voltage Control: Adjust voltage to control fan speed. This steps down 12v to a lower RPM. Voltage conversion is less efficient and you can't slow the fan down as much as you can with PWM.

Yes SP-120 fans are 3pin. The newer RGB Fans: HD-120, LL-120, and ML-120 are all 4pin fans. A Commander Pro will give you the ability to change the speed of the fans via voltage control as well as give you two channels for running digital LEDs. You can buy the strip kit and put it to one channel and have your SP-120 RGB fans going to the other channel.

IMHO the HD-120, LL-120, and ML-120 is more so about looks. The HD-120 are the cheapest, though most powerful performance wise, brightest LED wise, though doesn't come with a lighting node Pro. If you do decide to get a PWM Fan and you want to keep the SP-120 RGB fans, then you will need a 3rd controller:

Option 1) No PWM

-4xRGB Strips kit

-Commander Node Pro

Option 2) HD PWM Fans

-Lighting Node Pro w/ 4xRGB Strips (cost only $10 more than RGB strips alone at best buy currently)

-3xHD Fan Pack

-Commander Pro

Option 3) ML/LL PWM Fans

-Commander Pro

-MM/LL Fans

-4xRGB Strip Kit

I would go with Option #2, but I am bias toward the HD-120 and I love them and have 6 :) The LL-120 do look nice. I saw the Lighting Node Pro kit on sale for $50 at Best Buy and they come with 4 RGB strips, though the strip kit alone generally don't go on sale and go for about $40, they only come with 4 strips as well, though not LNP. Both 3x LL and ML fans kits come with a LNP, though no strips. Lastly worst case fans can be controlled by the motherboard for both 3 and 4 pin fans, though you can't control them via iCue.

Take a look at Zotty's guide in my sig for more details on how the system works.

Thanks for the awesome reply!

So what node/hub is included with the 460 case? Is that not the same thing as the lighting node?

The details are in Zotty's guide in my signature.

Your case includes a RGB Hub (glorified powered cable splitter). In most situations you should have a manual controller plugged into the RGB-Hub. You use the buttons on the case or dongle to change the lighting manually. When you buy a Lighting Node Pro or a Commander Pro, you plug the RGB Hub into one of the LED channels on one of those devices. This is assuming you didn't already buy a LNP or a CoPro. The 460x doesn't come with either of those, only a RGB Hub and the manual controller.

Yeah I saw that shortly after.

So I noticed it says you can't mix fan types on the led hub(which I assume is what you were referencing in your comment about still wanting to run the SPs).

Thinking through this would the following setup work(this seems smiliar to the Advanced Diagram, indents indicate what's plugged into what):

Commander Pro

Fan Power

HD120 RGB Hub

SP120 RGB Hub

Lighting Node Pro

RGB Strips

Yeah I saw that shortly after.

So I noticed it says you can't mix fan types on the led hub(which I assume is what you were referencing in your comment about still wanting to run the SPs).

Thinking through this would the following setup work(this seems smiliar to the Advanced Diagram, indents indicate what's plugged into what):

Commander Pro

Fan Power

HD120 RGB Hub

SP120 RGB Hub

Lighting Node Pro

RGB Strips

The SP-120s have a different chip in them that is not compatible with chips in the LL/ML/HD fans. You can technically mix and match the HD/LL/ML fans, though iCue doesn't allow for mixing of these fans as of yet. The only issue with mixing those types fans right now is they won't give the expected effect.

Yes, what you are purposing will work. You will also have a free channel to add additional strips or other items as they come out. Again I am bias for the HD-120s, so check out the ML and LL fans as well you might like them better.

Archived