Corsair Community

H80iV2 Pump starts only in Windows

TIO

I have a weird issue with H80iV2. The pump wont start until in OS which creates boot crashes and the possibility to spend only 10 secs in UEFI. The pump has been connected to different fan headers, Commander Pro, MOBO W_PUMP and CPU_FAN -headers. Same issue persists. MOBO fan headers are in full speed mode. I have tried as well to remove the usb plug from the block. No help either.

Opened the lid and have tried with my hand that indeed even if the light is on immediately the pump wont spin until in Windows.

Are you sure about this? There is no "off" on a H80i v2 and it will always be running when supplied with power. The only way to prevent that is to cut the voltage at the source, the motherboard header. Whether or not the USB is plugged in should have no bearing on its start up, only in communication with the software.

How are you able to determine the pump is not running during the boot cycle?

For the sake of completeness, which software version are you running? iCUE (#) or Link (#)?

Thx for your answer. Link is the latest. Never used iCue. I’m determining that the pump isn’t running from the lack of vibration when holding my hand on the block. The pump is on performance mode, so you would hear the noise too. Vibration and noise start at Windows startup which I can clearly feel.

I don't know about accuracy with the "feel" approach at start-up. There is an awful lot of things going on and likely the board has your other headers doing a 12v power on fan start and causing a lot of noise elsewhere. A more scientific approach might to be get the Link window up the moment Windows boots and check the H80i Temp. If you pump is not running at all, the coolant temp goes up very quickly, something like 1C/second. So in a 20 second boot cycle, your coolant temp might go +20C over ambient and likely into the mid 40s. As you open Link, you would be able to see that H80i v2 Temp then slowly drop back down. It might take 1-2 minutes to get anywhere near back where it should be at +4-7C over ambient. This is the opposite of a normal boot cycle where you are +2-3 over ambient for those first few seconds after the OS loads, then it very slowly ticks up a few more degrees over 5-15 minutes (with minimal load).

You also might be able to hear the "whoosh" of fluid moving at the moment of 0 rpm to start. You can pop the H80i v2 motherboard header off for a second and see how that really looks and sounds. Just don't leave it that way for long.

The whoosh what you mentioned comes when windows loading roll begins. At the same moment you can feel the pump to start vibrate and the water lines will start to shake that little normal shake when the pump pumps.

When I’m in Bios Cpu temp rises 1 C per second until a crash at 100 C. When I arrive to windows succesfully the cpu temp is 70-80 C before dropping in 10 secs to 35 C.

Changed new pastes to Liquid Ultra just a minute ago. Idle temp was 40, now its 35.

Edited by TIO

Wow, that is exactly what seems to be happening, although it should not be possible without something cutting the voltage during boot. Definitely one of the weirdest things I have seen. I would contact Corsair Tech Support through the ticket system. They may have an idea and even if not that is the first step to replacement.

Is there any thing else installed that might override the BIOS settings? Something like AI Suite or the AS Rock equivalent? Any aggressive BIOS level power saving features (ErP) that might suspend the motherboard headers during boot?

No AiSuite, only HW monitor. All UEFI settings are now at default, except overclock, no power savings applied. The issue still persists. Next thing I will check is fan header voltages at startup. Maybe there is sth wrong with the mobo. The pc works otherwise. Only problem as I said that can’t spend more than 10 secs at UEFI.

Found a possible solution. Pump is running but at lower speeds therefore I can’t feel it. Getting not persistent voltages with my cpu. 1.35 V solid is dropping to 1.2 V at load and then bouncing up to 1.4 V. I think the cpu is getting too much juice at UEFI. My psu is Seasonic Titanium 850W so it can’t be that either.

Possibly an issue with Mobo