Corsair Community

Bad sticks of XMS Platinum

DigitalMice

I have 4 sticks of XMS Platinum (512) and believe two of them to be bad. My computer recently started crashing/restarting randomly. Having double and tripple checked every other part possible including swapping out CPU, HDD, Video, powersupply AND motherboard, I ran a full suit of memory diagnostics (memtest-86 v3.2.) which resulted in several full pages of errors across the various tests.

My system specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer (also tried Newcastle core)

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M (also tried ASUS k8V SE Deluxe)

Enermax Noisetaker 470W (also tried SIlverstone 460W Super Quiet)

Asus Radeon 9800 XT (also tried geForce 5200 Ultra)

Western Digital 120GB 8MB SATA (also tried Samsung 160GB 8MB SATA)

The two modules that appear to be bad are both:

CMX512-3200LLPT

XMS3205v1.1

My system is currently running stable the the remaining two (matched pair TwinX Platinum). I run at default power/clock settings, however I did try lowering the memory clock speeds when using the ASUS board which didn't appear to make much of a difference. I have recently sold that board and don't have the same luxury with the Gigabyte board.

Help!

- Mark

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time and please use these setting set manually. With socket 754 you would only be able to use 3 modules. and you would need to run the memory Frequency at DDR333 as well.

Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts

Resulting Frequency: 200MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T

Then please test them with http://www.memtest.org, if you do find errors with one module then please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! But if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem.

Archived