Corsair Community

Dominator Platinum SE Overclock?

jayliu89

Hello Peeps,

I just bought the 32GB Dominator Platinum SE memory, it doesn't seem I can push the sticks further than stock settings (3466 16-18-18-36). I tried to bump up the frequency to 3600 and tighten the timings to 16-16-16-36 at 1.35V and got motherboard code 49. Higher frequencies end up with code 55. Am I unlucky or is this because I bought the dual rank 2x16GB kit?

I heard dual rank memory doesn't overclock as well as single rank. I'm a tad bit disappointed since I saw another forum user overclocking the poop out of their torque SE edition...

The board I use is Maximus VIII Gene.

16GB modules are a bit harder to overclock in general and have less oc headroom. You probably asked a bit too much out of it with raising the frequency and tightening the timings while keeping the Vdimm at 1.35V. Maybe try DDR3-3600 with 17-18-18 and a bit more voltage first, raise that step by step (1.36, 1.37, 1.38, 1.39) to see if the system does pass POST and gains stability in Windows/MemTest86.

I had a Maximus VIII Gene before i jumped the gun to get my Apex and from my experience with 16GB modules you might have to start setting subtimings manually if you decide to go over DDR4-3600. The tertiary timings you can recycle from the screenshots in my user review, but leave tRDWR_sg/dg/dr/dd at AUTO initially, since your MB probably needs them set to a value of or at least very close to CAS latency.

16GB modules are a bit harder to overclock in general and have less oc headroom. You probably asked a bit too much out of it with raising the frequency and tightening the timings while keeping the Vdimm at 1.35V. Maybe try DDR3-3600 with 17-18-18 and a bit more voltage first, raise that step by step (1.36, 1.37, 1.38, 1.39) to see if the system does pass POST and gains stability in Windows/MemTest86.

I had a Maximus VIII Gene before i jumped the gun to get my Apex and from my experience with 16GB modules you might have to start setting subtimings manually if you decide to go over DDR4-3600. The tertiary timings you can recycle from the screenshots in my user review, but leave tRDWR_sg/dg/dr/dd at AUTO initially, since your MB probably needs them set to a value of or at least very close to CAS latency.

Thanks for the information. I tried to hit 3600 MHz and the sticks won't do it even at 1.5V. That's somewhat strange imo since I rebooted my BIOS and few times and was able to get into windows at 16-16-16-36 3600 on 1.35V, but got error 55 on the following restart. I will probably need to use manual figures as you've mentioned, but I'll have to go read up on that first.

I keep seeing ASUS warning about memory overclock being dependent "on the CPU's capabilities". Are they suggesting memory OC mileage will vary based on specific CPUs? I use 6700K but actually have some 7700Ks sitting around. I've never used them since they're supposed 20C hotter with barely any gain in performance. What's your take on that?

I also have an unrelated question. I chanced upon the Samsung IC page and saw the model ending with BIWE. Those ICs start at 3200 MHz at stock. Have you had a chance to test those yet? I'm wondering if those would be able to hit crazy frequencies since they already start at overclocked speeds lol.

I had several 6700K and 7700K and all of them were limited by the mainboard when it comes to memory frequency. So yes, while IMC quality also plays a role and entry level CPUs usually have weaker IMCs, most 6700K and 7700K should have no trouble with DDR4-3600/3866/4000 and will be limited by the board unless you are working with ASRock Z170M OC Formula and the likes. Also please keep in mind that manual settings will also involve VCCSA and VCCIO in addition to secondary and tertiary timings.

Some general timing advice: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79034-GUIDE-Skylake-Memory-Timings-on-Asus-Motherboards-!

Some B-Die specific things: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/160179-ultimate-b-die-tweaking-guide-for-asus-rog-maximus-viii-series/

Ignore the extreme settings and voltages used for benchmarking, but take notes on how to properly set tertiaries and how they affect secondary timings.

Samsung BIWE speed bin is not really very exciting, when you realize what timings it utilizes. For B-Die based kits it does not really matter since the inhouse binning by manufacturers like Corsair is way more useful. For example a lot less ICs will be able to hit DDR4-3200 CL14 or DDR4-3466 CL16 under 1.35V than DDR4-3200 CL22 1.20V (BIWE). Very good B-Die based kits easily run DDR4-3200 CL16 at 1.20V, so -BIWE is not really useful to determine improved IC quality vs lower Samsung speed bins and with that being said my best kits were all binned from lowly -BCPB :laughing:

I had several 6700K and 7700K and all of them were limited by the mainboard when it comes to memory frequency. So yes, while IMC quality also plays a role and entry level CPUs usually have weaker IMCs, most 6700K and 7700K should have no trouble with DDR4-3600/3866/4000 and will be limited by the board unless you are working with ASRock Z170M OC Formula and the likes. Also please keep in mind that manual settings will also involve VCCSA and VCCIO in addition to secondary and tertiary timings.

Some general timing advice: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79034-GUIDE-Skylake-Memory-Timings-on-Asus-Motherboards-!

Some B-Die specific things: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/160179-ultimate-b-die-tweaking-guide-for-asus-rog-maximus-viii-series/

Ignore the extreme settings and voltages used for benchmarking, but take notes on how to properly set tertiaries and how they affect secondary timings.

Samsung BIWE speed bin is not really very exciting, when you realize what timings it utilizes. For B-Die based kits it does not really matter since the inhouse binning by manufacturers like Corsair is way more useful. For example a lot less ICs will be able to hit DDR4-3200 CL14 or DDR4-3466 CL16 under 1.35V than DDR4-3200 CL22 1.20V (BIWE). Very good B-Die based kits easily run DDR4-3200 CL16 at 1.20V, so -BIWE is not really useful to determine improved IC quality vs lower Samsung speed bins and with that being said my best kits were all binned from lowly -BCPB :laughing:

The information on BIWE is reassuring to know! I was beginning to think I had sunken near $1,000 on older generation B-Die with new toys on the horizon.

I actually saw your response to a similar question on a German forum I stumbled upon, but the translate feature failed me hah.

I will go read up on the secondary/tertiary timings when I get home, hopefully I can get 3600 CL16 under 1.4V. :sunglasse

Archived