Corsair Community

Should I be returning this RAM?

Cory Nelson

I posted this in compability forum and realized that was probably the wrong place so please forgive the duplicate post. :) I Just built two brand new systems (Shuttle SB81P cases) with default settings and the following RAM:

CORSAIR TWINX1024-! 3200XL 2X64X64 400MHZ 2X512MB (MATCHED PAIR) 2-2-2-5 DDR DIMM W/HEAT SPREADER

System #1 seems to finally pass memtest86 but only if I set the voltage at 2.9. Anything lower and it starts hitting errors. Everywhere I see posts it talks about setting them to 2.7-2.8 but never as high as 2.9. It pass at this setting but I'm curious as to whether or not this is considered too high (ie, am I going to burn the thing out or shorten its life or is this setting within acceptible norms).

The reseller will accept exchanges within a week and the 2nd system has one stick that comes up with a pile of errors regardless of setttings so I need to go exchange one set anyway, just not sure if you'd recommend that I go ahead and exchange the first set as well.

Also, I also noticed that the website now recommends CMSS1GB-400 RAM for this motherboard (a week ago when I ordered it recommended the memory listed above). I'm guessing both will work but are there any issues with the 3200xl RAM with this board (ie, the problem I've been running into) or was that just an that just an updated recommendation. If there's an issue recently discovered with this combination I'd obviously be better off exchanging it for something that'll work better for the system.

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest using the module suggested CMSS1GB-400 with this system. In addition, I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with the Dim Voltage set to 2.8 Volts to make sure one is not failing. But I doubt you would get 2 modules to run at Cass 2-2-2-5 on this system. If they both pass you might try and set the Rass to Cass to 3 and see if it will pass http://www.memtest.org. However, based on what you have posted I would suggest testing the modules on an approved desktop MB, IE, ASUS, ABIT, or MSI just to test the modules if you can.

Ok, so I found where the RAM recommendation came from. Your website has two 'find my ram' selections, one is for the stock system (which recommends CMSS1GB-400) and one is for the barebones. The barebones system (which is what I have) suggested the 3200xl and says that's it's compatible at 2-2-2-5. I'm not overclocking the system so which would be better?

2-2-2-5 @ 2.9 (which seemed to work overnight, doing another test run now) or...

2-3-2-5 @ 2.8 - Will test tonight.

On the second system I tried 2-3-2-5 at everything up to 2.9 and it failed everytime immediately. Assuming that one is just bad unless you've got another recommendation there.

• Corsair Employees

Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS for your MB and load Setup/optimized default settings, and try the following BIOS settings;

TwinX1024 or TwinX512-3200XL

Frequency Voltage Control

Spread Spectrum: Enabled

Dram timing Selectable: Disabled/User define/Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 2T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Burst Length: 8

DRAM Clock: 400 MHz

CPU Clock/Freq: 200

PCI-EX/PCI clock: Fixed 100/33

Memory or Dim Reference voltage: 2.8 Volts

All other settings should be set to default settings!

Then please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org and let’s make sure it's not some other issue! I would run the test for at least 2-3 passes to be sure!

Ok, so I did a bit more testing last night.

System #1

2-2-2-5 2.9v passes (not sure if the voltage is too high for prolonged use)

2.5-3-2-5 2.8v passes

2-3-2-5 2.8v currently testing, also going to try 2.5-2-2-5 2.8v

System #2

2-3-3-5 2.8v passes

Any other setting fails immediately regardless of voltage. One of the chips is works fine but the other fails if either the burst or the CAS to Ras setting is at 2.

So, I've been able to get both systems to pass at 2.8 volts as long as I slow down the RAM a bit. A bit disappointing that I'm not able to run them at 2-2-2-5 as advertised but somehow I doubt it'll be noticable.

Archived