Corsair Community

Can't decide: ML120/140 Pro LED or RGB

hi-ban

Hi!

So i just got a new PC case (from another brand), and i'm going to purchase all the ventilation fans i need for it. I'm choosing corsair because it makes better performing fans than other brands, and i'm going to get a Lighting Node pro aswell, so i can have pretty lighting i can see through the tempered glass side panel.

But i'm stuck here: i can't decide which fans to get for my case.

My case is a mid tower, with 2 140mm front intakes (with dust filter), a single 120/140mm top exhaust and a single 120mm back exhaust. But as many cases out there, it has a non-grilled front panel, so it gets the air for the front intake through two holes on top and bottom of the front panel. You might guess the brand and model of it, as it's a very popular case model.

I'm running an i7-4790K and a GTX970 dual fan model.

Just to add more data, i'll be cooling my CPU with an air CPU cooler with 2 120mm fans in a push-pull configuration. So this makes a total of 6 fans i must get:

2x140mm fans for front intake

1x120/140mm fan for top exhaust

1x120mm fan for back exhaust

2x120mm fans for CPU air cooler

Since i want all fans to be the same series (for aesthetic reasons) i must choose between the super-high-performance ML120/140 Pro LED (fixed red color) or the not-so-high-performance RGB versions.

So the question is:

Do you think i really need the extra performance from the fixed-color LED versions? Or maybe the RGB versions are more than enough for my case so i can get these and experience the full RGB experience?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hi-ban

Hi there,

I think that you'd be OK with the ML-RGB fans. There are diminishing returns as you increase fan speeds in most cases and the ML-RGB fans provide a good balance overall. You don't have anything crazy that requires extreme cooling. Additionally, since the intake is somewhat restricted (based on your description ... the two holes at the top and bottom), additional performance may do you no good.

• Confused 1

Hi there,

I think that you'd be OK with the ML-RGB fans. There are diminishing returns as you increase fan speeds in most cases and the ML-RGB fans provide a good balance overall. You don't have anything crazy that requires extreme cooling. Additionally, since the intake is somewhat restricted (based on your description ... the two holes at the top and bottom), additional performance may do you no good.

Thanks for the reply. Since all the fans i need are quite expensive, i want to be sure that i make the right choice before spending 200€ on them. That's why i considered the option of getting the non-RGB fans, because the higher static pressure from those might force more airflow into the case.

I've added my system specs info on my profile so there's no need to guess my parts anymore.

Note that, if the intake airflow ends up being insufficient, i might end up modding the closed front panel and replacing it with a custom grilled panel to provide for a better intake airflow. But the aim is to avoid the need to do that.

They are literally the same fan, so to get that extra performance you have to be willing to run the case fans at 1500-2000 rpm. That's a lot of speed and a lot of noise. Only someone running a really toxic set-up is going to benefit from that kind of air exchange rate. It would be disappointing to go with the higher speed fan, then wind up running them at sub 1000 rpm like everyone else and miss out on the RGB flexibility. A full case of fans is expensive either way. You might as well go for the one that makes you the happiest or offers the longer term utility. If there are specific deficiencies, you can spot troubleshoot rather than plan for disaster from the start.

the original ML fans are really loud at high speed. i ended up running them at 33% fan speed. i do like that there is just the 1 pwm cable so less clutter. but since i love rgb i went with 9 LL fans + 3 of the lower speed ML radiator fans. temps in my case + h150i pro have been good so the high maximum of the original ML fans are unneeded. really having a case that allows good air flow will make the biggest difference.