Corsair Community

H60 2018 version, cable question.

Chunter

Good morning,

i will be putting one of these in my new build soon ( currently have the older version) and i'm curious if only using the sata pump cable will be ok.

I don't intend to use the supplied fan ( not a lover of pwm's) so therefore shouldn't need the "tachometer" cable.

Fyi i use my own 2 fans on my radiator, front and back, using a fan controller.

Regards.

The tach cable provides a signal to the CPU fan header so that you don't get a CPU fan warning on boot. It also provides a fail-safe; if your pump is completely dead, it'll give you a warning on boot, which is a good thing. It also provides an indication of the pump speed - I believe with that pump, specifically, it would give you the actual speed but some pumps provide 1/2 pump RPM as the tach signal.

You can remove it if you like. That's totally on you. I'd advise - strongly - against it.

Also, I don't understand why you are "not a lover of pwm's". That really doesn't make much sense. PWM fans provide control via a PWM signal (on the fourth wire) and give you far greater control and range over the fan speed than DC control mode. Most PWM fans will also operate in DC mode but with reduced control and range ... an exception is the ML fans (which ship with that cooler) as they require 12V to maintain levitation. These are excellent (and quiet) radiator fans. Again ... if you don't want to use them, that's fine, but automatically discounting them before you even have the device seems a bit ... premature.