Corsair Community

New Corsair Carbide Air 240 - system is overheating. What else can I do?

mkammes

Hello all:

Built a Hackintosh.

Everything has been going great, until I put the system under some heavy load. System even hard crashed at 1 point. iStat menus seems to show extreme temperatures, ambient seems to be around 95 degrees (F), but under heavy load, upwards of 150-200 degrees (F)

I've got the fans in the Corsair Carbide Air 240 (2 in front are stock fans, 1 up top that I swapped out for the Noctua 120mm NF-S12A.) I also used the Noctua Dual Tower CPU Cooler NH-D9L (Heatsink) which has a fan in the middle of the heatsink. Not sure what else I can do. I notice that the fans are auto throttle(maybe it's just the Noctua fan) so I suppose I can put those on full speed (?) all of the time.

My build also has a leftover Noctua NF-A8 PWM which I have yet to find a home for inside the case, if there are any ideas.

Case:

• Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 High Airflow MicroATX and Mini-ITX PC Case - Black
  • Corsair RMx Series RM750 Power Supply
  • Noctua Dual Tower CPU Cooler NH-D9L (Heatsink+Fan)
  • Noctua 120mm NF-S12A PWM (top of case)
  • Noctua NF-A8 PWM Premium 80mm PC Computer Case Fan (unused as of now)

• ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-G
  • Intel Core i7-8700K
  • Ballistix Sport LT 64GB Kit (16GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC
  • Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)

Thanks!

You have an airflow issue; that much is clear. You also have components that will put out some heat. You need to manage it ... it's do-able but we'll need some more information.

Also, please list temps in Celsius. That's the standard temp for system components. And yes, even in the US.

You only have 1 fan in that case? At the top, I assume it's configured as exhaust, is that correct? You'll need intake (in the front) as well. I don't have this case but from the looks of the documentation, you may have have mounts for 2 fans in the rear ... is that correct? It looks like they may be 80mm fan mounts. Just trying to get an clear picture of what we have to work with.

How did you test load?

Thanks for the reply.

Ambient is 35 degrees C, load is at 65-93 degrees C.

I have 3 total fans.

1 top fan (Noctua 120mm, replacing the stock Corsair fan)

2 front corsair fans.

The Noctua Heatsink also has a vertical fan that slides between the 2 heatsink pieces (as opposed to on top)

Load was while using heavily demanding video editing applications (rendering, transcoding, etc.)

Further research shows I can put a bunch of other fans in (8 total, see below). My first guess is to put 2 exhaust fans in back. I happen to have a Noctua 80mm handy that I may use, or just go out and buy a dual rear fan kit (do they sell dual 80mm?) since I'll have the machine cracked open anyway. Not sure 1 fan will make enough of a difference.

Front: 2 x 120mm

Top: 2 x 120mm

Bottom: 2 x 120mm

Rear: 2 x 80mm

Side: 1 x 120mm

Edited by mkammes

What exactly is 150-200F? CPU temps? You certainly are starting high with a 35C ambient, but with a 8700K on air, I am not sure how much better it can be. Before going to a lot of trouble installing more fans, you might want to see how much the case ambient goes up under load. It’s hard to make a lot of headway by pure air exchange.

My temperature readings are an average of the CPU cores, ambient temperature, GPU die, heatsink, Mainboard, and Thermal Zone 1 and 2, as calculated by iMenu Stats. They all seem to be within about 10-20 degrees of one another at any given time.

I added a rear 80mm Noctua fan, and I *think* it's helping. Under load, I'm now 10-20 degrees cooler than I was before. Ambient is about the same, *maybe* a couple of degrees cooler.

Thus, I think I may need to add a few more fans (increase the top to 2x120mm) and now increase the rear (2x80mm) instead of just 1 on top and 1 on the rear (plus the heatsunk+ fan and 2x120mm upfront).

Does this seem right or is there a larger issue that I'm just trying to solve with more fans? 6 fans (2 top, 2 front, 2 rear) plus a heatsink+fan plus the GPU on board fans seem like overkill, even with an 8700 and a 1070 GPU.

Thanks!

Are the front fans intake? Top and rear should be exhaust. Front should be intake.

What are the fan speeds and at what temps?

If you add 2 fans on the top, you'll need at least one more on the bottom, I would suspect, to maintain slight positive pressure.

Yes, 2 front fans are intake, 1 top and 1 rear fans are exhaust.

Fan speeds seem to be around 1000RPM. I currently don't have a way of determining which fan is which (the motherboard lists names for fans [CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, etc.], but the names don't correspond to "MB Fan 1, MB Fan 2, etc.) as listed by the OS.

Not sure of the Max CPU voltage. I suspect it's set to auto in the BIOS.