Corsair Community

H115i Pro Pump Noise

Richard_Muehli

Hello,

today I finished the config of my H115i Pro.

I have a question about the pump noise.

Quiet - Inaudible

Balanced - Inaudible

Performance - High Pitched/Humming Noise but no rattle.

Video: [ame=

]
[/ame]

All fans are at lowest speed!

Is this normal?

This is my second H115i Pro.

The first one rattled about all the time. I think bad pump bearing.

Edited by Richard_Muehli

Yup. Anything at 3000 rpm is going to be loud and high pitched. My $200 EK pump is the same. Fortunately, that top run speed doesn't really matter for most CPU/AIO combinations. Only someone running a heavy 12-18 core processor is going to see much difference and even then flow rate is rarely the limiting factor. I would suggest setting it to balanced and leaving it there. You can use quiet if working on the desktop, but the lower speed will have some performance deficit under load.

I’ll take a deep listen when I get home and have my own sound equipment, but yes, it is generally normal to hear the high pitch whirrrr when you kick the pump up to 3000. Mine also is virtually undetectable at Quiet and Balanced. On a 8700K at 5.0/1.30, I cannot see a measurable difference between balanced and extreme. For comparison, I need to set my gpu loop pump to 3500 to see a 1C difference and that is on 330-350W.

No, Corsair pump speeds are fixed rather than dynamically adjustable. This is also why I suggest Balanced. It’s not loud and you still get all the same performance as extreme.

I do ... it's not very loud. Of course, the perception of how "loud" it is does depend on the case and the installation location. My case is big and does a good job muffling noise. It's also under the desk.

What you described doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary.

Okay thank you for you words. I'm happy.

Do you also have a H115i Pro?

How loud is yours?

Yeah, that is bang on normal from what I have gathered from other H115i and H150i Pro owners. It sounds exactly like mine as you shift up the speed ladder. If you take something the size of your palm and make it spin at 3000 revolutions per minute, it is going to have a buzzy tone. There is no way around it. If you want to use it when fully loaded to compare the differences, go ahead. The fans likely cover the noise. There is no reason to use Extreme when sitting on the desktop doing regular work.

Yeah, that is bang on normal from what I have gathered from other H115i and H150i Pro owners. It sounds exactly like mine as you shift up the speed ladder. If you take something the size of your palm and make it spin at 3000 revolutions per minute, it is going to have a buzzy tone. There is no way around it. If you want to use it when fully loaded to compare the differences, go ahead. The fans likely cover the noise. There is no reason to use Extreme when sitting on the desktop doing regular work.

You are right the difference are only 1-2 Kelvin but its a little bit strange. I had a H150i Pro before and the pump speed on performance was a little bit quieter.

You can hear even the pump in perfomance mode if the fans are on.

WHO also have a H115i Pro or a H150i Pro and could say something about the performance Mode?

I have an H115i PRO. It runs on extreme mode. Nothing that you've described sounds out of the ordinary.

Just for kicks, I did open the side of the case and listened ... I could hear it and it's a little louder than Balanced mode. BUT ... I also have a total of 12 fans running, none of which are MLs. So it's pretty difficult to distinguish between the coolers and the fans. Additionally, things like mounting and case construction can be a factor - the pump does vibrate a little, especially on performance/extreme mode. Those vibrations can propagate, possibly causing the sound that you hear.