Corsair Community

Increase in side- and bottom intakes - reversed cooling fans?

possulintu

Hi,

I'm building a new system based around Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic, and I've had trouble finding decent looking fans for the bottom and side intakes. Since these have to be mounted "upside down" from the viewers perspective, that, in my humble and perfectionist opinion, make fans look less appealing.

I've been thinking to go with 9 pieces of LL120 RGB fans, but 6 of those has this black rear facing towards me. Is there any way to make a replacement fan with opposite airflow, would it be efficient and could it be worth producing?

Thank you in advance for your time!

Edited by possulintu

The LL might be a bit of a downer if a lot of them are rear facing. I’ll let people using them speak more to that. You might consider the HD. More of its frame is clear and I don’t notice the rear side as much in my reverse flow 740.

Thank you for your reply. Indeed the backside of the LL's is quite a downer. HD's in my opinion are too flashy, considering the plan I had for the LL's. I like the dim ambient light, single colour option in the LL's.

HD's have those leds exposed, which made me turn away from those.

All in all I'm not the "RGB" guy. The subtle distributed light from the lightloops, just barely to lighting up the parts to be visible outside the case is my goal for this build.

My point here was to start a conversation, if more people need these reversed fans. I think those might be pretty easy to make, just mirror the blade design in the existing ones and keep the rotation the same. Could be even just the blades sold separately, for "enthusiasts" like me.

Having reverse-flow or switchable LL fans would be a good thing ... I agree. The LLs are gorgeous fans but the one-sidedness of the RGB is a bit of a downer. I have both LL and HD fans in my case, depending on usage and direction.

And while the HD's are more "flashy", deep in mind that you can lower the brightness to make them less "flashy".

Thank you for your reply. Indeed the backside of the LL's is quite a downer. HD's in my opinion are too flashy, considering the plan I had for the LL's. I like the dim ambient light, single colour option in the LL's.

All in all I'm not the "RGB" guy. The subtle distributed light from the lightloops, just barely to lighting up the parts to be visible outside the case is my goal for this build.

My point here was to start a conversation, if more people need these reversed fans. I think those might be pretty easy to make, just mirror the blade design in the existing ones and keep the rotation the same. Could be even just the blades sold separately, for "enthusiasts" like me.

I think the HD-120s look better in cases that have darker tint and when you have fan filters in front of them that diffract the light. I think that is the main reason Corsair used them in their 1000D demo, instead of the LL-120. I can understand your point.

To be honest as much as I love what they did with the Dynamic and I was contemplating getting one. Though I didn't want to see the backside of the fan as I like to have my custom loop fans as intake. Also, the deal breaker is I wouldn't be able to fit my 1080 as my water block is too big. In order to get it to fit, I would have to use the vertical GPU mount, though that would prevent me from using a bottom radiator.

I only know of one fan that is setup in reverse, though it is 38mm thick, which is 13mm thicker than you 25mm standard fan.

Having reverse-flow or switchable LL fans would be a good thing ... I agree. The LLs are gorgeous fans but the one-sidedness of the RGB is a bit of a downer. I have both LL and HD fans in my case, depending on usage and direction.

And while the HD's are more "flashy", deep in mind that you can lower the brightness to make them less "flashy".

Would be cool and I could see Corsair coming out with a fan as the side mounts are becoming more popular with some different cases, though I don't know if they will come out with one, unless they come out with their own side mounted. I wonder if side mounted fans/rads will just be a fad or will the trend be the next norm?

Indeed. Maybe I'm too nitpicky, but I think it wouldn't still be "enough" for me.

I'm honestly quite confused by the fact, that to my knowledge, no company hasn't done this yet with these high-end rgb fans - although these are made to make the system look better. Many have done the rear look more appealing, including for example HD's and Lian Li Bora RGB.

The ML-series was an option as well, but there's the same problem. This is propably a big fat "first world problem". Here's a picture from HardwareCanucks' video about the case:image.jpeg.e99f18cc4454cd83a823e9d0eb4ebb2b.jpeg

I think that, perhaps, having a reflective sticker with the Corsair logo that the end user could apply to the rear of the fan would be cool. You could then cover up that ugly spec mess that's on the back side. Or ... perhaps ... a small switch that would reverse the direction of the fan. But that'd probably confuse the heck out of a lot of folks as system fans just don't do that.

I think that, perhaps, having a reflective sticker with the Corsair logo that the end user could apply to the rear of the fan would be cool. You could then cover up that ugly spec mess that's on the back side. Or ... perhaps ... a small switch that would reverse the direction of the fan. But that'd probably confuse the heck out of a lot of folks as system fans just don't do that.

When the blades are directed to the normal airflow, and the rotation is changed, I imagine the efficiency drops quite significantly since the bladestructure and the curve is pointed to the other direction.

When the blades are directed to the normal airflow, and the rotation is changed, I imagine the efficiency drops quite significantly since the bladestructure and the curve is pointed to the other direction.

Hmmm ... yeah, good point.

Yes, that was my original impression of the HD as well. However, once you take software control and now especially with iCUE's flexibility, you can make very subtle patterns. I most often run a "spark" of light racing through the fans. It's basically a blackout case, motherboard lighting, and the spark. You can make it subtle and use effects that do not maximize the spotlight nature. I also prefer subtle and would not have thought I would settle on the HDs, but they really seem to fit the set-up and I like the clear and black enough to accept it as the best solution.

I think many of the LL orientation problems have been noted, but the ship may have sailed on that for now. That in combination with the required software always being active is the reason I don't own them. I would normally suggest the ML-RGB, but you have a good shot of what it would look like. I think the HD would be better, but none of these may be tick all the boxes.