Corsair Community

Ordered a 1000D, need help choosing parts for dual systems

gutcheck

Hey guys,

It's been years since I have done this. I want to build my son a itx system and myself a new PC in the 1000D. Do they make x99 based itx boards at all? Was hoping to salvage my 5820k for the itx build.

How much clearance do you have to cool the CPU on the itx board? Will a waterblock be possible if the mail ATX board only has one card installed?

Sorry for the random questions, but I want to start getting parts.

Any fan suggestions? I want to do a push only dual loop system as a push pull would just be too nuts. I will likley use EK rads and blocks. I have some actually in my 900D so I may try to salvage them.

Hey guys,

It's been years since I have done this. I want to build my son a itx system and myself a new PC in the 1000D. Do they make x99 based itx boards at all? Was hoping to salvage my 5820k for the itx build.

How much clearance do you have to cool the CPU on the itx board? Will a waterblock be possible if the mail ATX board only has one card installed?

Sorry for the random questions, but I want to start getting parts.

Any fan suggestions? I want to do a push only dual loop system as a push pull would just be too nuts. I will likley use EK rads and blocks. I have some actually in my 900D so I may try to salvage them.

Nice case and perfect use case!

So you are "handing down" your old system and building a new one? While there were ITX motherboards for x99, they were not produced as much as your normal ATX board. You will be hard pressed to find one. x99 boards weren't cheap and I am seeing them starting out for $250 on eBay for a "refurbished/used" one.

Though here are two other options:

• Use the existing ATX motherboard and getting your self an ITX for the new build
  • Look at a budget CPU and MB to replace your existing system and give old system to a nephew, etc.

If you are looking for RGB fans, I prefer the HD-120 as they have the highest static pressure of all the RGB fans and they are quite enough for me. Most seem to prefer the LL-120 or ML-120 fans. I really haven't looked at many non-RGB fans lately. If you go with EK, don't get their kits as their fans have an alarmingly high failure rates according to many complaints I have seen on OCN and watercooling subreddit. You would be better buying the WC parts al-la-carte. I know this is a Corsair forum, though when I was looking at the HD-120 I was concerned spending that much money on fans, though I had couldn't find anyone with bad experience with the HD-120 fans.

I think it is a good idea that you are doing a dual loop as you don't have to take apart/drain lines for both when you need to do maintenance on one system. I am not the hugest fan of the EK's, though if you have existing parts I would use them, though I would want to go with 480mm rads to take advantage of the full size. I am a big fan of XSPC's CPU Blocks & res/pump combo. HW Labs makes well built and well priced radiators that out preform larger radiators, though I concede for your use case the XE from EK is the top overall performer for it's size.

Most go with the HW Labs GTS as it delivers a lot of cooling for 30mm. So space is a limitation for most, but not you. Also barrow makes the best fittings and they are the best priced. A lot of EK sells is overpriced, but very well marketed. I try to avoid nickle plated components, it doesn't add much other than looks and can react to some coolants. Not a huge concern, though just FYI. Lastly everyone on the internet seems to agree that the D5 is the best pump you can get for your system in regards to performance and reliability.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will go all new and ebay the parts....

Thanks for the watercooling advice. My current 900D has a custom loop so I already have 2 480 rads, D5 pumps, and a ton of stuff. I think I will get new fittings and blocks, just because.... kinda want to go acrylic this time around, and have two colors for show.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I will go all new and ebay the parts....

Thanks for the watercooling advice. My current 900D has a custom loop so I already have 2 480 rads, D5 pumps, and a ton of stuff. I think I will get new fittings and blocks, just because.... kinda want to go acrylic this time around, and have two colors for show.

Great to hear, I bet you will love that case. It also looks like you are all set. I would love to have 1000D, though it might be a little bit to big for me. Would love to see something closer to the 500D, but can fit my 2x360mm radiators. Would love to build a custom loop in that.

Also I would avoid acrylic and go with PETG. It is more user friendly and over taking acrylic in popularity. If you do avoid coolant that is ethylene glycol based, as it can degrade the PETG. Good luck and post some progression pictures, etc.

Never done hardline tubes before.... kinda scared. I will let the case show up and try to figure all this out. No rush this time.

It isn't that difficult, you just have to have patience. There are a lot of good youtube guides out there. The PETG is more forgiving when it comes to bending, if you get either two hot you can get some blistering/bubbles, though the acrylic has much larger bubbles, when it occurs. Also acrylic is very brittle, compared to PETG, you can use PVC cutters with PETG.

As you have such a large case you have a lot more options, when doing loops in a smaller case it is more limiting as you have to go around a lot more and things can be a little tighter.

Lastly I would recommend going with a 16mm OD as the thicker tubing looks better in larger cases IMHO.

Agreed, yes, larger tubes this time. Just means I will need all new fittings because mine are 5/8. Probably should do that anyway....

I actually using 5/8th and soft tube fittings in my PSU's basement. I had to drill 4 holes into it. I think I have about 6x 5/8th fittings for it and 8x 16mm fittings for my hard tubing. Sometimes basements/shrouds can be annoying, when you don't have a lot of room.