Corsair Community

h115i without Corsair Link on Z370-A

tenduece

Hi,

I'm building a new Linux based system, and having a hard time figuring out the best installation without Corsair Link. I've read the Liquid Cooler FAQ, but it's still not fully clear.

The motherboard is an Asus Prime Z370-A.

A setup with Corsair Link:

With this setup everything is monitored and controlled by the Corsair Link software.

* The two fans are connected to the fan splitter (1) and (2).

* The SATA cable (3) is connected to the PSU.

* The 3 pin cable (4) is connected to CPU_FAN header on motherboard (z370-a).

* The USB connection (5) is connected to a USB header on the motherboard.

A setup without Corsair Link:

With this setup the fans are controlled and monitored by the motherboard BIOS. But there's no control or monitoring of anything else e.g. RGB, liquid temps, pump, etc.

* The two fans are connected to the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT fan headers, and the fan splitter cable coming off the cooler (1) and (2) is ignored.

* The SATA cable (3) is connected to the PSU.

* The 3 pin cable (4) is ignored?

FAQ A7. My pump is powered by a SATA power connection. Do you need to plug in the fan header?

If your pump is powered by a SATA power connection, the pump does not need to be plugged into a fan header for proper operation. The fan header connection on your pump is there to provide a tach signal to the CPU_FAN header so that you don't get a CPU fan warning on boot. Because of this, this should only be plugged in to the CPU_FAN header. This includes the new PRO series coolers as well as some of the previous generation coolers.

I'm assuming "the pump" fan header means the 3-pin cable (4). And it literally only prevents the CPU fan warning, so for example, connecting it to something like the AIO_PUMP fan header won't do anything.

* The USB connection (5) is ignored, because in this setup we're not using Link.

---

What are the alternative setups, if any, without Corsair Link on the Z370-a?

Thanks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/Ghostbird/CorsairH115cables_zpsvmrgdxhy.jpg

capture_001_03112017_222919.thumb.jpg.f94d2d987e4a30e964cbc35134f61699.jpg

Edited by tenduece

Your understanding is correct. Without Link, you will want motherboard control for fans, SATA for power, and the 3 pin will only provide a half speed for the pump. It is not required. I would start as you described above with radiator fans on CPU/OPT. The only reason not to do it that way is if the cpu/opt headers are too reactive. Sometimes Asus boards ignore their fan delays on CPU fan. If that becomes an issue, you can put the dummy 3 pin on cpu and move the two radiator fans to a CHA header through a splitter.

Thanks. Am I right in thinking:

If I want use Corsair Link (maybe a Linux open source one), but still control the fans by the BIOS, all that needs to be done is connect the USB cable to a motherboard USB header - the 3 pin cable (4) is still ignored i.e. doesn't need to be connected (I know this might seem obvious, but it's nice to be sure)?

Yes, connect the USB and then load Link (and driver). Not much there except LED control and coolant temp. You can approximate coolant temperature with an radiator exit side thermistor for regular monitoring. The good news is the LED should stay set, once you do this the first time.