Corsair Community

LNP External Mod?

solarity

Don't know where to place this thread as I use iCue and not Link. I got another LNP and I wanted to do some out-of-case lighting. First I love how the LNP has a standard USB connector on it. I know Zotty uses an external PSU, though I prefer using my existing PSU, small room and PC makes enough heat. I don't see any PCI slot pass-through for SATA Power, I guess I could also mod my case further and cut out a slot on the bottom and put a grommet. I am curious if anyone else has any great ideas/suggestions?

Even though it would be easier to use my DLED headers on my motherboard, I do like iCUE.

Lastly I know the LNP uses 5v, though I see another pair of cables coming from the sata plug, is the other 12v or 3.3v?

Edited by solarity

The other would be 3.3v - it's for the MCU that's inside the NoPro. While the MCU will run on USB power, it won't run in performance mode. This hasn't caused me issues in limited testing but may present problems in the long run.

Your other option is to make some custom extension cables and router them outside the case. This would keep the NoPro inside the case and connected to your existing system's PSU while allowing you to have lighted cables outside the case. See the link in my signature for the details on what's required to make your own cables.

The other would be 3.3v - it's for the MCU that's inside the NoPro. While the MCU will run on USB power, it won't run in performance mode. This hasn't caused me issues in limited testing but may present problems in the long run.

Your other option is to make some custom extension cables and router them outside the case. This would keep the NoPro inside the case and connected to your existing system's PSU while allowing you to have lighted cables outside the case. See the link in my signature for the details on what's required to make your own cables.

I could technically do that, though I would have to run the USB cable out of the case or unplug the front USB2.0 case header. I have 2xUSB2.0 headers (front panel and 1st LNP). I guess a question is what would be worst, my OCD about having a case connector not connected that I never use or having a cable coming out and to the system? I think Corsair would benefit from selling some external LED strips or an easy way to do it i.e. PC card slot pass through, etc.

An external Lighting connector could be made with a soldering iron, some parts from ModDIY and DigiKey and a very simple PCB. I've pondered such a beastie and it's certainly possible; I just haven't found the motivation to do all of that when I can more easily make cables that accomplish the goal.

There are some additional things that you can do and since we're monkeying with wiring anyway ...

The NoPro only uses/requires a single USB port but takes up both ports on the internal header. So ... you can get 2 single port USB extension cables and run both NoPros to the same USB header. (I'd really like to see Corsair offer such a combo cable that's prebuilt and runs the wires correctly but I digress ... probably not a large market for it.) For the record, I have my cooler and PSU wired up like this ... both use the same USB header on my CoPro.

Another alternative is to have an internal USB hub. I have one of these as well and despite the super-annoying Molex connector, it works quite well.

Or you could really jump on the Corsair train and get a Commander Pro. Then you'd have a spare NoPro that you could use for your outside-the-case lighting AND two more internal USB headers.

Hey,

I am using a LNP to power some RGB Stripes outside my case.

I connected my LNP inside my PC and only ran the one wire out of the case which is needed to power the stripes. In order to do so I bought some 1-pin-wires on Ebay (if you search a little bit you can find a pack of 50 for less than €5) and connected a 1-pin-cable on each pin of the LNP's RGB-Stripe-Connector and squeezed those three wires between my side panel and my PC. Then I just connected my stripes to that self-made-extension. Just be careful to mark which wire (pin) is on which side so you connect your Stripes correctly. If you mix up the wires your Stripe can easily get damaged.

I hope this can help you:)

Edited by LeSnakk

An external Lighting connector could be made with a soldering iron, some parts from ModDIY and DigiKey and a very simple PCB. I've pondered such a beastie and it's certainly possible; I just haven't found the motivation to do all of that when I can more easily make cables that accomplish the goal.

There are some additional things that you can do and since we're monkeying with wiring anyway ...

The NoPro only uses/requires a single USB port but takes up both ports on the internal header. So ... you can get 2 single port USB extension cables and run both NoPros to the same USB header. (I'd really like to see Corsair offer such a combo cable that's prebuilt and runs the wires correctly but I digress ... probably not a large market for it.) For the record, I have my cooler and PSU wired up like this ... both use the same USB header on my CoPro.

Another alternative is to have an internal USB hub. I have one of these as well and despite the super-annoying Molex connector, it works quite well.

Or you could really jump on the Corsair train and get a Commander Pro. Then you'd have a spare NoPro that you could use for your outside-the-case lighting AND two more internal USB headers.

Yeah thanks! I see the USB splitters are about $20, which is about a 1/3 the price of a Commander Pro. To be honest I don't really need a Commander Pro as I have two Temp sensors (1 ambient + 1 coolant) and 8 Fan headers on my motherboard. I completely understand the theory behind how the CoPro works and what it does. Though it would be interesting to play with one and sometimes I am unable to fully answer some question as I lack the CP to iCue/Link knowledge.

Hey,

I am using a LNP to power some RGB Stripes outside my case.

I connected my LNP inside my PC and only ran the one wire out of the case which is needed to power the stripes. In order to do so I bought some 1-pin-wires on Ebay (if you search a little bit you can find a pack of 50 for less than €5) and connected a 1-pin-cable on each pin of the LNP's RGB-Stripe-Connector and squeezed those three wires between my side panel and my PC. Then I just connected my stripes to that self-made-extension. Just be careful to mark which wire (pin) is on which side so you connect your Stripes correctly. If you mix up the wires your Stripe can easily get damaged.

I hope this can help you:)

Yeah, thanks this was another option I was thinking of as well.