Corsair Community

Compatibility Question

Eastside

I'm building a system, if all goes right it will look like this: IC7-MAX3 MB Intel P4 3.20 Ghz CPU ATI Radon 9800 Pro vid card 2x WD 36 gig SATA Raptor HD's set up as Raid 0 on Intel chip set 1 IBM Deskstar 60 gig HD set up on IDE channel as backup Plextor CD RW Sony DVD I Have 1 gig of Corsair XMS 3200PRO (2x 512 megs) and 1 gig of Corsair XMS 3700 (2x 512mgs) If I use all four strips (2 gigs) of RAM do you think this system will boot? Can I mix and match the speed of this memory, if so what is the max bus speed I can obtain without OC. :question:

That looks like a tough mix. I know the PC3700 will not run lower than 3,4,4,8 timings. Also, I don't think the PC3200Pro (if it is like the LL) will run CAS 3. If you get them to mix, I am certain that it will have to be done with the timings at 3,4,4,8 IF the 3200Pro will run CAS 3. As to your OC, I have not seen any OC posts with the PC3200Pro yet. But, if you run it with the timings at 3,4,4,8 along with the PC3700, I'm guessing that you could get into the neighborhood of the 210-220 mhz or DDR420/440 range. Obviously, the PC3700 will clock higher but you will be limited to the max speed of the slowest stick. That's an odd combo of RAM. You MIGHT have the best results in selling one pair and buying a second matching pair of whatever you decide to keep. Good luck, Mike.

• Corsair Employees
I would have to agree with Mike. But the only setting supported By XMS3700 would be Cass 3-4-4-8 so that’s what I would use. XMS3200Pro are based on Winbond -5 Rev C so they should support Cass 3-4-4-8. But I do not think they will run together to be honest. Ram Guy

Thanks Mike & Ram Guy. So if understand you right either the XMS 3200 Pro or the the XMS 3700 will work if installed seperately but not together? If I go with the 3700 will it boot with the default setting or do I need to OC it,change the voltage and or the timing..... I'm a novice :!:

• 2 months later...
Help I'm getting the Blue Screen of Death. Two seperate messages. First IRQ_Not_ Less_or_Equal. Second PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. RAM Guy is the PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA an indication of defective RAM I'm using two gigs of Corsair Twinx3700 set at v2.7 Cass 3-4-4-8 Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
I finally got a chance to rum MemTest-86 v 3.0. It's been runing now for 34 plus hours and posted 43 errors so far. I think it's pretty clear that there is some kind a faulty memory. RamGuy I purchased these DIMM's back in Sept of 2003. Are they still under warranty, and if so will Corsair replace them. Thanks :mad:

• Corsair Employees
Eastside, all of our modules have a lifetime warranty so yes we will be happy to replace them if they are failing. But I would suggest that you test the modules one at a time to be sure it's not some other problem.

Here are the individual results: DIMM # 1 in slot # 1 = 800 errors – test terminated DIMM # 1 in slot # 2 = 127 errors Pass 1 – test terminated DIMM # 2 in slot # 2 = 41 errors Pass 1 – test terminated DIMM # 2 in slot # 1 = 54 errors Pass 1 – test terminated DIMM # 3 in slot # 3 = 25 errors Pass 1 – test terminated DIMM # 3 in slot # 1 = 23 errors Pass 1 – test terminated DIMM # 4 in slot # 4 = 33 errors Pass 1 – test terminated (30 errors 1 min 30 sec in test) DIMM # 4 in slot # 1 = 72 errors Pass 1 – test terminated I have seen enough, can I please have a RMA? :brick:

• Corsair Employees
I would say you have a bad CPU or some setting set incorrect. Can you tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and the Speed of the CPU you have installed and it's FSB? You posted that you have a 3.2 Ghz CPU previously and you have both XMS3700 and XMS3200Pro are you trying to mix the modules?

After running MemTest-86 v3.0 my machine bugged out. At boot up nothing displayed on the monitor. I received a beep that according ABIT was an indication of a RAM issue. After clearing the CMOS (moving the jumper) and re-booting I was able to get to the BIOS setup but with only one DIMM strip in slot # 1. If I added the additional DIMM strips again nothing displayed on the monitor. Here are the current settings when I was able to get to the BIOS. CPU Operation 3200 (200) EXT 200 / 66 / 33 mhz Estimated New CPU 3.2 Ghz NB Strap CPU by CPU DRAM Ratio (CPU DRAM) by CPU AGP Auto Fixed AGP Frequency 66/33 Mhz CPU Power CPU Default CPU Core voltage 1.5500 v DDR SDRAM voltage 2.6v AGP voltage 1.55 v DRAM Timing selectable CAS – 3 Act to pre-charge delay – 7 DRAM RAS # to CAS # - 4 DRAM RAS # pre-charge – 4 Memory hole at 15m – 16m – disabled I did not mix to DIMM I’m using all XMS3700 with a Intel 3.2 Ghz CPU on the Abit IC7-MAX3 MB Running MemTest really screwed up my machine; I once had an occasional error at boot, now I have a $3,000.000 paperweight.

• Corsair Employees
That tells me as I said something is really wrong with the system, either CPU, MB, or maybe PSU. If you have tested the modules one at a time and the system runs with out problems I would check the CPU on another system. Also what PSU do you have?

Archived