Corsair Community

RAM Problem with Abit AV8 & TWINX1024-3200C2PT

brettmarl

Please Help!

I just built the following new-pc:

- Abit AV8 (up-to-date bios, stock config)

- AMD 64 3500+

- Thermalright xp-120 cooler

- Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PT 1GB DDR400 (Running in slots 3&4 due to oversized thermalright 120)

- thermaltake fanless PSU (350w)

- Samsung 80gb spinpoint (sata)

- Pny Verto GeForce 6800GT

I could not get the system running, everytime I started windows setup (xp-pro, sp2) it would blue-screen. the bluescreens mostly occured after i had loaded the via raid driver (for sata) and it started copying files. typical error looked like:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP (0x00000050, 0x866A96BC, 0x00000001, 0x80523B85, 0x00000000)

sometimes it was in ntfs.sys or other dlls, mostly no dll specified.

- My first thought was that maybe the 350w psu was pushing the envelope, so i put in an old video card and powered the floppy and cd-drive off another psu. same problem. after a process of elimination it appears to be related to the corsair ram.

- i tried the 512mb dimms in 3&4, and tried each one in slot 3 alone - same problem. i can't use slot 1 as the heatsink sits over it.

- i put an old stick of 512 DDR266 into slot 3 and everything worked fine - no bluescreens. windows setup succeeded as normal.

my question is...

- do i have a bad set of RAM?

- is this RAM supposedly compatible with my rig?

- do i need to set custom timings for this ram in my bios somehow?

Any help/pointers much appreciated.

Thx,

-Brett

• 3 weeks later...

still having problems building out my new PC :( ... here's some more info:

- i replaced the PSU with a 450w PSU with dual-12v rails. same problem.

- i ran the corsair memory in an old-pc - worked fine

- i ran an old stick of RAM in my new PC - worked fine

- if i set the AV8-ABIT BIOS setting for DRAM to "Auto" then i get a bluescreen on boot.

- if i change the setting to 'manual' and set "DRAM Command Rate" to 2T then things boot OK, but 30-50 minutes into use the PC will bluescreen in the same location.

can anyone offer advise? it's taken me so long to figure out i think i may have passed my deadline to RMA the memory at this point. the only possibilities i can think of are bad RAM or a bad MB?

Other ideas?

THx,

-Brett

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my situation:

- I RMA'ed the corsair memory and got a new pair.

- I also RMA'ed the motherboard and got an exact replacement.

Same situation as before - with this MB/RAM combo - I keep getting bluescreens almost everytime i boot.

Here's some more info:

- I noticed that the the default setting of the ABIT AV8 is to overclock to 204, so I reduced this to the standard 200 setting, but didn't make any difference.

- I put a DDR 512Mb 266 in slot 3 and the PC runs perfectly. Been up for 7 hrs with no issues.

Any ideas what to try next?

- I'm wondering if this RAM is not compatible with this MB? However, I see many posts from people that appear to be using the same config.

- Perhaps I should exchange for some corsair value-select? I don't care about overclocking - I just want a decent, stable system.

- Can someone please post their AV8 timings if they are using this RAM. I am using the default timings but am wondering if i can tweak them to get it more stable?

- Also, I'm still using slots 3&4 due to the oversized heatsink (xp120) - should I try moving to 1&2 and using a different heatsink? Does this really matter?

Thx,

-Brett

interesting... i should have tried that sooner. it appears that things are working fine with the stock amd heatsink and RAM running in slots 1&2. if i put the ram back in 3&4 i get the same problems.

my ultimate goal is to build a silent, powerful pc, of which the xp-120 heatsink was a key silencer... is there a known issue with this ram in slots 3&4, and can i adjust the timings to make it work? otherwise, is there a different type of corsair ram i can change it for that will work?

thx,

-brett.

interesting... i should have tried that sooner. it appears that things are working fine with the stock amd heatsink and RAM running in slots 1&2. if i put the ram back in 3&4 i get the same problems.

my ultimate goal is to build a silent, powerful pc, of which the xp-120 heatsink was a key silencer... is there a known issue with this ram in slots 3&4, and can i adjust the timings to make it work? otherwise, is there a different type of corsair ram i can change it for that will work?

thx,

-brett.

brett, not sure if this will help or not but you might try looking/posting at the ABIT forums. There are lots of users over there that may have some insight.

Good luck, Mike.

First update the mobo to 19 bios works well on my board ( AV8 3rd eye).

Then the following settings work fine by me when not overclocking. I haven't tried the ram dimms in slot 3&4 yet Will do on sunday evening here, I have the 3200XL ram that work at the foreseen settings at stock settings (2-2-2-5). I too wanted to upgrade to a thermalright XP120 but I checked their webbie and only the 90 model was compatible when using the dimm slots 1&2 (but sadly not available here). I opted for an Arctic Cooler Freezer type 64. Which is quieter than the stock one plus cools it around 4-5°C better than stock and it's cheap 25 euros here.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=10&disc=

For your ram try these settings :

DRAM timing selectable : Manual

DRAM clock : DDR 400

DRAM command rate :1T or go 2T is you still have lockups

CAS latency time : 2.5

Ras to Cas : 3

Min Ras ... : 6

Ras precharge time : 3

Row cycle time : 11

Row refresh time : 13

Ras to Ras delay : 3

Write recovery time : 3

Write to read delay : 3

Read to write delay : 3

DDR ram voltage to 2.8 and AGP/PCI locked at 66/33Mhz.

thanks for everyone's help. i'm a happy camper now :)

i removed the XP-120 heatsink, installed the RAM into slots 1&2 and then reinstalled the heatsink. the heatpipe nudge the RAM in slot 1 slightly but it appears not to be a problem.

silence and power - i love it!

thx!

-brett.

thanks for everyone's help. i'm a happy camper now :)

i removed the XP-120 heatsink, installed the RAM into slots 1&2 and then reinstalled the heatsink. the heatpipe nudge the RAM in slot 1 slightly but it appears not to be a problem.

silence and power - i love it!

thx!

-brett.

That's kool! You are the local guy that has proven that it can be done.

Mike.

Archived