Corsair Community

ML140 RGB Pro Lightning Issue

ViperAttack

Hello,

So I've got my 6x120 ML RGB fans and the 3x140 ML RGB fans.

The issue is 2 of the 140 fans are not lightning up correctly.

Here is an image: https://imgur.com/a/hsYC45Q

What could be the problem? I took them out to try rearrange the connections, I have plugged them where the 120 where connected to and working on the RGB hub, however the 140s don't seem to work.

The first 140, works as intended.

The second 140, only 1 LED lights up and it's only 1 color.

The third 140, doesn't even light up.

I've got 1 Commander Pro, 2 RGB Hubs.

- The first RGB hub I use it for the 140s. (3 connected)

- The second RGB hub I use it for the 120s. (All connected)

I connected the RGB hubs to the Commander Pro and the fans to the Commander Pro too. SATA cables are all connected, USB from the Commander Pro is also connected to a USB 2.0 Port on the Motherboard.

Edited by ViperAttack

First, how do you have them configured in Link? Can you show the configuration screen?

Second ... how have you rearranged them? Let's start with calling them Fan A, Fan B and Fan C in Ports 1, 2, and 3 (respectively).

What happens if Fan B is in Port 1 and Fan A in Port 2?

How about Fan B in port 3 and Fan A in Port 1 and Fan B in port 2?

The fans operate in a series ... so one bad fan can take the rest of them out. It looks like Fan B may be bad but I'd like to confirm that.

Hello and thank you for the replies.

My setup:

- I have RGB Fan Hub #1

- RGB Fan Hub #2

- A Commander Pro that has H150i USB connected to it and also the HX1000i PSU.

- On the Commander Pro: The Fans Secction - The first 3 Fans are the 120 ML RGBs fans and the next 3 fans are the 140 ML RGBs fans.

- In the image I provided the 3 fans starting from the one that lights up and top it goes in Fan #4, Fan #5 and Fan #6.

- Connecting the RGB Hubs to the Commander Pro - The first RGB Fan Hub is connected to Lightning Port #1 on the Commander Pro and that Hub is used for the 3x140 Fans.

- The second RGB Fan Hub is used for the 6x120 Fans that are on the radiator and are connected to the Lightning Port #2 on the Commander Pro.

- For the fans on the radiator: The 3 bottom fans (push) are connected to the H150i and the 3 top ones (pull) are connected to the Commander Pro (Fan #1, Fan #2 and Fan #3).

- On the second RGB Hub the 6x120 fans are all connected to it randomly and they all work fine, I connected them to the first RGB Hub to see if the Hubs are both working and they are.

- On the first RGB Hub (3x140), Port #1 is Fan #4 that lights up.

- Port #2 is Fan #5 and Port #3 is Fan #6.

I’m using the iCue software, the latest version for it and the latest version of firmware for all of the devices such as Commander Pro.

What could he the problem? Maybe I need to reset the 2 fans that are not working properly?

I am aware that connecting the fans randomly (6x120) on the RGB Hub will result in RGB out of sequence for the case, however that’s not problem since they are basically out of sequence for only one lightning and that’s the Rainbow, all of the others work fine such as Spiral and Colour Shift.

Edited by ViperAttack

Also:

The interface on iCue is

Lightning Port #1 - ML Fans connected and 3 of them. (For the 3x140)

Lightning Port #2 - ML Fans connected and 6 of them. (for the 6x120)

When you say one bad fan can take the rest out, what do you mean? Do you mean one bad fan can break all of the other fans?

Edited by ViperAttack

Also:

The interface on iCue is

Lightning Port #1 - ML Fans connected and 3 of them. (For the 3x140)

Lightning Port #2 - ML Fans connected and 6 of them. (for the 6x120)

When you say one bad fan can take the rest out, what do you mean? Do you mean one bad fan can break all of the other fans?

Yes. The fans run in serial ... the color data goes to the first, it pops off the values it needs and passes it down the line to the next fan. The Fan hub is truly a dumb device ... just passing power and data without any intelligence whatsoever (the only thing in there is a capacitor and traces, no ICs at all). So if one fan is bad, it doesn't pass the data stream back to the fan hub for the next fan in the chain. That's why rearranging the fans is so critical to understanding what's going on.

Yes. The fans run in serial ... the color data goes to the first, it pops off the values it needs and passes it down the line to the next fan. The Fan hub is truly a dumb device ... just passing power and data without any intelligence whatsoever (the only thing in there is a capacitor and traces, no ICs at all). So if one fan is bad, it doesn't pass the data stream back to the fan hub for the next fan in the chain. That's why rearranging the fans is so critical to understanding what's going on.

So, when talking about breaking, are you saying it can break the LEDs and they would not work again or break as in other fans won't turn on because of that specific fan but they are not broken just won't turn on?

I have tested both of the fans that do not work properly, I have tested them one by one and the fan with one LED that display still has the same issue and the other fan the LEDs won't even light up.

Now, I'm still confused about you saying that if the fans are not connected in the correct sequence they would not work.

I have 6 fans on the radiator.

- All of those 6 fans are connected to one RGB Hub randomly, I haven't checked the sequence to connect them but they all work as intended, the only down side is if I pick a rainbow sequence they would light up the way I have plugged them in.

- 3 fans (the bottom of the radiator) are connected to the H150i and are controlled by that and not the Commander Pro.

- The other 3 fans are connected to the Commander Pro, is this a problem?

So, when talking about breaking, are you saying it can break the LEDs and they would not work again or break as in other fans won't turn on because of that specific fan but they are not broken just won't turn on?

No, the fan lighting operates in a series circuit. So if you break the circuit by removing lighting plug #3, then 3-4-5-6 will not light. From a troubleshooting process, that means you need to move fans around and test to see which fan is the faulty one. You can try them one at a time on #1 on the lighting hub.

No, the fan lighting operates in a series circuit. So if you break the circuit by removing lighting plug #3, then 3-4-5-6 will not light. From a troubleshooting process, that means you need to move fans around and test to see which fan is the faulty one. You can try them one at a time on #1 on the lighting hub.

How are things c-attack :biggrin: I get it yeah, the 2 fans in the image are faulty so they will be sent back, no idea how they are faulty as they are new, straight from the box.

All the other fans are working fine now, I rearranged the circuit for the 6x120 and they are working just fine as before.

Just to clarify, here is a scenario:

- I have 6 fans, named Fan #1 up to Fan #6.

- I plug them all into the RGB Hub (6).

- None of the fans light up - This is because one or N fans LEDs are broken right?

- So let's say it is Fan #4 that is broken, I remove it and rearrange the circuit to 1-5 and now all the fans work.

This is how it works right?

I must start with 1 and not skip a port, I can't connect a fan to port 1 and skip to port 2 and go to port 3 right?

Also a question about the Commander Pro:

This Commander Pro: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81E0I9RZHAL._SL1500_.jpg

Look at the circle to the left, that's some LED right? I'm guessing it must light up right? In my case, it never lights up, what could be the problem or is it a problem, when should it light up?

Edited by ViperAttack

Correct to all of the above. Maybe Dev can’t second that.

Oh, no, I can second that. :biggrin:

And the CoPro light ... well, I guess it lights up sometime. I've heard that it does actually mean something but what, exactly, that is, I've no clue. I've never seen it light up on any of my CoPros.

With the borked ML fans ... did you put all of them in port 1 by themselves? And Fan B and C did the same thing?

Oh, no, I can second that. :biggrin:

And the CoPro light ... well, I guess it lights up sometime. I've heard that it does actually mean something but what, exactly, that is, I've no clue. I've never seen it light up on any of my CoPros.

With the borked ML fans ... did you put all of them in port 1 by themselves? And Fan B and C did the same thing?

Okay that’s fine, was just wondering if the light needs to be on, as long as the Commander Pro is working then all good.

And yes, I did connect the 2 fans individually to check and the same problem still persists, one LED lights up for one fan and the other just doesn’t light up. They were connected individually in Port 1 on the RGB Hub.

So I think the LEDs just don’t work.