Corsair Community

Question about Radiator FANS

nfanis

I know that LL120 Fans have poor Static Pressure so they are not suited for radiator fans but i like the RGB effects on them alot.

Has anyone measured actual thermal difference between LL120 fans and lets sayu ML120 Pro or Vardar EVO? il be running a custom loop with 360 rad and will be cooling 1x Titan XP and 1x 8700K. So im considering buying 6X LL120 Fans and place them in push pull config to my radiator

Please note that im not fun of noisy things even if ill buy for example the vardar fans i will never run them more than 1.2k rpm

Edited by nfanis

Ah, familiar combination. I would not say the LL is a poor static pressure fan. Something like an AF-style blade (11-15 blades) with a sharp rake is not a good choice and you usually see mm of H20 values below 1.00 for airflow designs, even at high speeds. All the Corsair RGB fans are hybrid designs between the AF and SP archetypes and suited for multiple uses, including radiators.

Performance differences between HD, ML-RGB, and LL fans are elusive. I don't own the LL because of the mandatory active software requirement, but I guarantee there is no difference between the ML-RGB and HD fans at comparable speeds. The 1.78 vs 1.62 (ML to LL) is NOT a meaningful performance difference. The coolant temp differences for both my H115i Pro and Hardware Labs Black Nemesis 280mm (GPU) between the HD and ML is 0 and I have been alternating for the past 4 months. The only difference is I can push the ML about 100-200 rpm higher for the same noise level, so if you want to go by perceived volume, that might be a slight advantage. Nevertheless, I would give up 1C of coolant temp for the fans I wanted and most people should be choosing for appearance and sound, not specifications. The final wrinkle might be if you are using very thick restrictive radiators. A45-60mm dense radiator might stretch out some differences, but going push pull on the LL should solve all these problems regardless of density. That might also be appealing for visual reasons, depending on your case.

Fans like the Vardar, Noctua Industrial, and ML PRO series that run 2000+ rpm can squeeze out more coolant temperature differences, especially in a combined loop with a big GPU. However, you need to run those high speeds to benefit and a ML120 PRO at 1000 rpm will be exactly the same as a ML-RGB at 1000 rpm. Differences are all slight below 1000 rpm, although again a super restrictive radiator might alter this slightly. I chose my HW Nemesis because it is well suited to these 800-1000 rpm speeds and a good match for all these fans.

Edited by c-attack

Ah, familiar combination. I would not say the LL is a poor static pressure fan. Something like an AF-style blade (11-15 blades) with a sharp rake is not a good choice and you usually see mm of H20 values below 1.00 for airflow designs, even at high speeds. All the Corsair RGB fans are hybrid designs between the AF and SP archetypes and suited for multiple uses, including radiators.

Performance differences between HD, ML-RGB, and LL fans are illusive. I don't own the LL because of the mandatory active software requirement, but I guarantee there is no difference between the ML-RGB and HD fans and comparable speeds. The 1.78 vs 1.62 (ML to LL) is NOT a meaningful performance difference. The coolant temp differences for both my H115i Pro and Hardware Labs Black Nemesis 280mm (GPU) between the HD and ML is 0 and I have been alternating for the past 4 months. The only difference is I can push the ML about 100-200 rpm higher for the same noise level, so if you want to go by perceived volume, that might be a slight advantage. Nevertheless, I would give up 1C of coolant temp for the fans I wanted and most people should be choosing for appearance and sound, not specifications. The final wrinkle might be if you are using very thick restrictive radiators. A45-60mm dense radiator might stretch out some differences, but going push pull on the LL should solve all these problems regardless of density. That might also be appealing for visual reasons, depending on your case.

Fans like the Vardar, Noctua Industrial, and ML PRO series that run 2000+ rpm can squeeze out more coolant temperature differences, especially in a combined loop with a big GPU. However, you need to run those high speeds to benefit and a ML120 PRO at 1000 rpm will be exactly the same as a ML-RGB at 1000 rpm. Differences are all slight below 1000 rpm, although again a super restrictive radiator might alter this slightly. I chose my HW Nemesis because it is well suited to these 800-1000 rpm speeds and a good match for all these fans.

Thank you so much your answer its exactly what i was thinking about as well!

Im not planning to run fans higher than 1.2k RPM so im going for 6x LL120 in Push Pull. My radiator is 45mm

hi nfanis, just sharing that i am using ll120s for my h100i v2 cooling an i5-8600k @4.6Ghz.

So far i haven't had an issue with it's performance and been using a Cooling Mode profile in iCUE.

One thing to note though, is the flickering issue that seems to be common from what I can find in the forums. Haven't found any solution yet or even pinpointed if it's hardware/software issue. Just putting it out there.