Corsair Community

New extra RAM and Computer stalls

Dave0311

I bought some extra RAM and now when I'm in the middle of a game the PC stalls or shuts off.

The RAM I bought is the same as the RAM I already have. (TWINX512-3200LL 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 Ultra Low Latency Dual Channel.)

The Computer is a

2.8 Ghz P4 800FSB

MB Aopen AX4C Max i8765P

120 GB Hard Drive

GeForce 6800 256MB

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

350W Antec Power supply

I have had the PC over 1 year and it has ran good with 512MB, but not with 1024MBs. I have also taken the identical memory I already had out and left the new memory in and the PC ran with no problems. Do I just need a larger Power Supply? Thought I would ask before I go and buy another power supply.

What version of each module do you have?

Well crap I orded the same thing, from the same place, and the same item number. The only place it says anything about the version is the sticker on the memory itself.

The versions are XMS3205v1.1 and XMS3205v2.1 So does this mean they aren't copatable?

An update to my situation. I have read a lot of problems from other people the past few days and focused on all the similar problems I could find and there is a few. I even found a report of the exact same problem on my motherboards manufacturer's site only with kingstun memory. I took a little from everything.

(1st) I reinstalled Windows XP the first suggestion made by the MB manufacturer. I then got the BLUE screen ERROR shut down randomly on start up. Took the extra RAMM out still got the error unlike before reinstalling XP.

I downloaded "Memtest86" and "Windows Memory Diagnostic" and ran both. I got errors in less then a minute.

(2nd) I read how someone had changed the frequency and the voltage of the RAMM in the BIOS from AUTO to a set rate. I looked and mine was on AUTO. I set the RAMM Mhz to 2.00 and the Voltage to 2.8V I still had the same errors. I then set the Mhz to 1.60 so the RAMM was running at 320Mhz and Left the 2.8V. I ran both tests and had no Errors for 40 minutes.

(3rd) I installed the a game. My computer was crashing every time I tried to play any game more then 1 minute. I installed and played it for 10 mins with no problem. I then reset everything and ran the game it stalled and froze after less then 1 min. I then set the MHZ to 1.60 again and started the game in the same place with no problems.

At the moment the PC is running good, but the memory is at 320Mhz instead of 400Mhz. Is the 2.8V too high? I haven't had an issue with that. Is this just a Band-Aid or a real fix.

Any suggestions or ideas from anyone?

You really should be using a bigger PSU with the system configuration you gave, at least 400 Watt if not 450 Watt! And I would test the modules one at a time and please set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts as well. You can use http://www.memtest.org to test the modules!

I tested each module one at a time then 2, 3, and 4 at 400mhz. Only one of the new sticks of RAM gave me errors the other did not. I also got errors with all 4 at 400Mhz, but not at 320Mhz. So the one stick that gave me errors is defective?

I think this is what your are asking.

DRAM Timing is Manual on all Tests as well as these settings.

2-6-3-2

The Errors for the test with all 4 sticks is

Four in test 4.

Two in test 5

Two in test 6

One in test 8

Then the test stalls 7% through the test on 8.

When I did the test on each stick alone. I only had one stick give me errors from the new pare and they were in pretty much every test. I couldn't count them all. I also had the same setting running.

Sorry for the reply, but I have to work don't and have alot of time.

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry I dont understand your reply?

Exactly how many modules do you have and what is the part# and revison of each module?

And did you try a bigger PSU? With 4 modules you would need 48 watts just for memory so depending on the system configuration you may need to have a 450 Watt PSU or bigger.

And did you test the modules one at a time?

OK?

(1) I have 4 Modules of (TWINX512-3200LL 512MB DDR400 XMS3200 Ultra Low Latency Dual Channel.) 2 of them are XMS3205v1.1. "These I have had for over 1 year and they work fine."

I bought 2 more modules of the same memory except they are XMS3205v2.1.

(2) I have tested all modules 1 at a time.

(3) Only one module has give errors in memtest. 1 of the new XMS3205v2.1

(4) I get errors only when running it at it's full settings. It's DDR 400 and it runs at 320.

All this information is already in this thread and you seem to not be reading whatever I type and asking me to type the same stuff again.

If my problem had anything to do with the PSU then I would not have gotten errors like I did. I tested the modules 1 by 1 and only got errors on 1 module. That I have already typed in an above post.

I'm not sure what settings you want. I have stated every setting I know of in this thread already. I also sent a RMA request to the seller, but I think I was 1 day late as that must be made within 15 days so now I most likely am stuck with the defective module.

• Corsair Employees

Please try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and test the suspect module again and if you still get errors I would suggest you send all four modules for RMA so they all match. If the modules passes I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.8X volts and see if it will pass with all four installed.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

The Voltage has been 2.7 Volts for every test after you said to put it there. I did however buy a new PSU, because the system was underpowered and that may have caused some occasional errors not related to the memory. The new PSU made no difference in the errors of the 1 module.

If I send them to the manufacturer is there any chance of getting a pair of XMS3205v1.1s instead of XMS3205v2.1s? Does that really make any difference? Nobody has ever told me if it does yes or no?

• Corsair Employees

Dave

Rev 1.1 of XMS3200LL has not been in production for more than a year. But if you are having problems with your modules we will be happy to replace them for a new set.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

• 3 weeks later...
The Voltage has been 2.7 Volts for every test after you said to put it there. I did however buy a new PSU, because the system was underpowered and that may have caused some occasional errors not related to the memory. The new PSU made no difference in the errors of the 1 module.

If I send them to the manufacturer is there any chance of getting a pair of XMS3205v1.1s instead of XMS3205v2.1s? Does that really make any difference? Nobody has ever told me if it does yes or no?

just to chime in...

aren't those v1.1 of the 3200LL of the winbond BH5 variety? if so, those are treasures to some overclockers... you can probably get good money for them.

i think v1.2 are winbond CH5.

Ideally, you need to have the same revision in all 4 slots. So, this can in fact cause problems like you are having. However, some modules will mix better than others so, in this case it could be the single bad stick you are getting errors from. Since you have the bad stick, I'd suggest an RMA like RAM GUY said. If it was purchased as TwinX send in both sticks so that you will get a new matched pair in return.

In the long run, your safest route is to ensure that you have all 4 sticks exactly matched in revisions etc. If you cannot match what you have, I'd suggest 2 pairs of the TwinX PC3200XL if you want 2gb of RAM.

Also, if it was not mentioned above, some people mixing revisions have had to manually set the RAM timings as opposed to using SPD. They usually have to loosen the timings somewhat to overcome the instability of mixed revisions. You may have some luck with 2,3,3,6 or even 2.5,3,3,7.

Good luck, Mike.

Archived