Corsair Community

Looking for a RMA

nikster

Ram Guy,

I've got some TWINX CMX512-3200C2PT memory of which one stick just died on me. It's about a year old, XMS3202v1.2. I've got an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 (latest BIOS), ANTEC TruPower480, and AthlonXP-M 2600+. My settings are:

FSB: 200MHz

Memory: 100%

Tiimings: 2.5-3-3-6

Vmem: 2.7V

Running MemTest86+ v1.50, I get errors as soon as the test starts with one of the sticks. The other stick will run through multiple passes with no errors. I've also tested this memory in a KT600 chipset motherboard with the same results. That setup was only running at 166MHz FSB with a Barton AthlonXP 2500+. No matter the settings, one stick tests out fine while the other gives thousands of errors.

That said, I'd like to ask a question on a related issue. Because I didn't want to wait for an RMA, and I build a lot of computers anyway, I went to my local Fry's Electronics and bought another TWINX pair. Both of those sticks gave me errors (not a lot of errors and only on tests 5 and 8), so I took them back and exchanged them. Those were XMS3202v4.1, and I tested them in two computers. Both of those computers were the same configuration, though. The new pair I just got last night in exchange is also giving me errors, but this time only on test 8. One stick gives me <10 errors per pass. The other stick gives me 50-100 errors per pass. These new pieces are XMS3202v4.2.

Do you have any advice for me on these new sticks that keep giving me errors? I hate to keep driving back to Fry's, 30 minutes away, to exchange them...especially since my truck got stolen out of their parking lot yesterday while my wife was exchanging these for me! Sorry....still in shock over that. I've read elsewhere on this forum about turning down the FSB with the mobile processors, but keep in mind that I have ONE stick from my original TWINX pack that tests no problem with these setting. Actually, it tests with no problems at 2-2-2-10. ;-) I really like that stick of RAM. I can test these in the KT600 board, too, but it will have to wait until early next week.

I forgot to add that I also have dual-channel pair of CAS2.5 Value Select Corsair memory (2x512MB) that tests out fine in all of my computers at the settings above. They are error free individually and as a pair. I am using the new TWINX pair in this computer right now with no noticed instability so far. I just ran 3DMark03 succesfully. The errors are only showing up with memtest.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you for your time and advice.

Nick Curcio

I would suggest you get that set replaced.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

For the TWINX pair that has one bad stick, do I RMA just the bad stick or both because it is part of a TWINX pack?

Thanks!

nick

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Second pair? Please explain!

Sorry for the delay. I was out of town unexpectedly.

My original post referenced two pairs of memory I had problems with. One pair I have been using for a year. The other pair I bought locally to replace that first pair that went bad on me. The pair I bought locally was bad, so I exchanged it....for another bad pair. I decided to RMA that instead of exchanging it at Fry's again. In total I had to RMA two pairs. I just got the second pair replaced this week (from Corsair) when I was out of town. I installed and tested them last night. They work perfectly, no errors.

Thanks again for your help and for Corsair's warranty team.

Nick

Archived