Corsair Community

Asus A7N8x Rev 1.06 doesn't work properly with Twinx1024-3200C2Pro

steff

Hi there,

i upgraded my computer from Athlon XP 2400+ Thoroughbred to 3200+ Barton and 1024 Infineon to Corsair Twinx1024-3200C2Pro on Asus A7N8X non-deluxe rev. 1.06.

The system worked fine with the Barton CPU and the Infineon memory. CPU @ FSB 200 MHz and Memroy @ 166 MHz. After installing the Corsair Memory and setting the memoryclock up to 200MHz, the computer freezes after a few minutes. Only th reset-button lets my computer reboot. I tried several things i have read in this and other forums.

Bios-Settings i tried (with the latest Bios rev. 1007 and 1008 for my MB)

CPU External Freq. (Mhz) - (200Mhz)

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting - (Menu)

CPU Frequency Multiple - (11.0x)

System Performance - (User Defined)

CPU Interface - (Optimal) [Greyed Out]

Memory Frequency - (100%)

Memory Timings - (User Defined)

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay - (6)[7]

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay - (3)[4]

SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay - (3)[4]

SDRAM CAS Latency - (2.5T)[3T]

FSB Spread Spectrum - (0.50%)[disabled]

AGP Spread Spectrum - (Disabled)

CPU Vcore Setting - (Menu)

CPU Vcore - (1.650V)

Graphics Aperture Size - (128MB)

AGP Frequency - (Auto)[66]

System BIOS Cacheable - (Disabled)

Video RAM Cacheable - (Disabled)

DDR Reference Voltage - (2.7V) [2.8V]

AGP VDDQ Voltage - (1.5V)[1.6]

AGP 8x Support - (Enabled)

AGP Fast Write Capability - (Enabled)

FSB Jumper is fit to 2-3.

The memorymodules are fit in the blue slots (2&3), Dual-Channel Mode.

With all those settings i had no luck, my computer only runs stable with a memoryclock of 166 MHz. Memtest is running without errors on FSB 166MHz MHz.

What else can i do to get the full performance of the Corsair memory (which where really expensive :sigh!: )

thx for help

steff

• Corsair Employees

Please test the modules one at a time, and I would load setup defaults and set these settings manually.

CPU External Freq. (Mhz) - (200Mhz)

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting - (Menu)

CPU Frequency Multiple - (11.0x)

System Performance - (User Defined)

CPU Interface - (Optimal) [Greyed Out]

Memory Frequency - (100%)

Memory Timings - (User Defined)

SDRAM Active Precharge Delay - 6

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay - 3

SDRAM RAS Precharge Delay - 3

SDRAM CAS Latency - 2.5T

FSB Spread Spectrum - [disabled]

AGP Spread Spectrum - (Disabled)

CPU Vcore Setting - (Menu)

CPU Vcore - (1.650V)

Graphics Aperture Size - (128MB)

AGP Frequency - (Auto)[66]

System BIOS Cacheable - (Disabled)

Video RAM Cacheable - (Disabled)

DDR Reference Voltage - 2.7V

AGP VDDQ Voltage - (1.5V)[1.6]

AGP 8x Support - (Enabled)

AGP Fast Write Capability - (Enabled)

Please use http://www.memtest.org to test the modules one at a time.

Hi,

now i've tested what you told me.

One module showed, after 4,9% progress with memtest, 48 errors. With the other module, the display had many errors after rebooting. Only some lines across the monitor, i didn't see any desktop icons.

Remember, with 166MHz memoryclock everything is fine.

What should i do next?

I can test in a epox mainboard with nforce2, but i have to wait till monday. what is PSU?

Well i try the nforce-driver from the asus website. Actually i have the drivers from nvidia.

[EDIT]

Enermax EG365AX-VE with total power of 353W.

3.3V with 32A

5V with 32A

12V with 26A

After CMOS-Reset, loading Bios-Defaults and setting the Bios, everything seemed fine. Memtest showed no errors. Then i tried Prime95 and this stresstest for my computer reported an error. [Tue Jan 01 20:29:13 2002]

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4

Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.

First i ignored it, because the computer seemed to be stable, but after 10 minutes, the system chrashed with a bluescreen and rebooted itself. I also tried the nforce-drivers from the Asus website, but without succes.

On monday, when i am at work again, i try the memory modules on an epox EP-8RDA3+

Hi!

Now i have tested the Modules on an Epox EP-8RDA3+ with Nforce2 Ultra 400 Chipset, Athlon XP 3200+ Barton, Dual Channel, CPU & Memory Clock synchronous at 200 MHz.

Bios settings for the memory-timing is 2-2-2-5 (has been setted automatically, i recognized it too late).

With these settings, Prime95 was running 4 times the Lucas-Lehmer iterations without errors, Memtest.org was running all 12 tests without any errors, too.

Your question: the modules have been in slot 2&3 (the two blue ones). FSB Jumper is set to 200MHz (2&3).

• 9 months later...

I replaced my Asus A7N8X with the Epox EP-8RDA3+. Everything was fine since yesterday. My computer crashes with bluescreen directly after booting the operating system (win2k). Replacing my Corsair-Ram with Infineon-Modules lets the computer boot normally. I think the Corsair-Modules have gone defective. What should i do now? My problem is now, i cannot find my bill for the Corsair-Ram. Maybe it is in my locker at work. Do i still have warranty without a bill?

p.s. sorry for digging out this old thread :roll:

Well, the problem is solved. After trying the Infineon-Modules, i wanted to be sure that the Corsair-Modules are defective and i put them back into the socket. Memtest86 was running about 2 hours, without error. Then i tried Prime95 about 5 hours, without error. I've been at a lanparty and it seems that the memory wasn't fit right in the socket any more and had some contact problems. Now everything is fine :biggrin:

Glad to hear it!

FYI, pre Rev 2.0 A7N8X models weren't verified to run a BUS above 333. The Rev 2.0 came out when the 400FSB Barton's appeared and some of the older revisions had troubles running the faster BUS or really aggressive modules on said BUS.

PLUR

CK

Archived