Corsair Community

Parts required for 2x LL140 and 1x LL120 on mobo with no RGB header

WiKDMoNKY

I just built a new computer with a motherboard that does not have an RGB header.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define Mini C

ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming AC (M-ATX)

Corsair H115i

32GB Trident Z 3200

ROG Strix 1070 GTX 8GB

I am wanting to get 3 RGB fans 2x LL140 for the H115i and 1x LL120 for the rear case fan (build is a 3 fan setup). I know I can get the 2 pack of the LL140's with the fan hub and led hub, but what about how do I control the rgb on the LL120? The Lighting Node Pro in the 2 pack only has 2 ports and the fans cannot be daisy chained. I have plenty of fan headers on my mobo, so a fan hub will not be needed. My only concern if dropping $150 on 3 rgb case fans and not working without another $50 in parts.

Here are my options as far as I can see:

Buy 2 pack of LL140's get the fan hub (not needed) and the Lighting Node Pro (needed)

Buy 1 pack of LL120 and hope to find some sort of splitter for the rgb.

Buy a 2 pack of LL140's

Buy a 2 pack of LL120's (get 2x fan hubs and 2x Lighting Node Pro's)

Buy internal USB header hub to connect 3 devices on 2 onboard USB headers (front panel USB ports, 2x Lighting Node Pro's)

Buy a 2 pack of LL140's (get Lighting Node Pro)

Buy a 1 pack of LL120

Buy Lighting Node Pro (by itself)

Why does this have to be so darn difficult and expensive? Why can't the fans be daisy chained like led strips?

Help!!!!

He is correct, to elaborate. The LED strips are connected to the LNP, which supplies the power and control of the strips, the strips can be daisy chained. On the other hand the LED fans receive the power from the RGB Hub and the control from LNP, in the case of the LL-1X0 fans. The Fans have a 4pin connector which allows them to be logically chained via the RGB hub. The 4th pin in these fans pass the signal in serial to the next fan in the line. This is why you have to plug them in order from 1-2-3-N into the RGB Hub. The reason the LED strips only use 3 pins as the Data is passed from one strip to the other.

I can't say why they did it this way, though it might have been easier/cheaper to manufacture a separate hub, than to make a really a different style fan housing that allows for daisy chaining. Logically both chained/bus and use the same 5v Power, Data, and ground. The Fans are just chained via logically inside the hub.

I can't say why they did it this way, though it might have been easier/cheaper to manufacture a separate hub, than to make a really a different style fan housing that allows for daisy chaining. Logically both chained/bus and use the same 5v Power, Data, and ground. The Fans are just chained via logically inside the hub.

Current draw and placement flexibility. 6 LL fans will just about max out (with a margin of safety) the current on a SATA connection. And daisy-chaining them is a worse wiring nightmare than using the hub, especially in large cases.