Corsair Community

Do I have a faulty H150i Pro?

Jez

Hi all,

I need some help to determine if I have a Semi-Faulty H150i Pro RGB Cooler

The problem that I have are specifically related to two primary things and one additional issue:

Primary Concern #1.

"RGB lighting" on the pump itself, as it does not fully power up, but briefly flashes on and then off whenever I turn on my PC, or have a reset due to CPU Overclocking.

Primary Concern #2.

No USB detection after fresh install of windows - this is a strange one, after I initially built my pc and accidentally loaded up a windows installation on the drive that I was going to use for the build, I was able to find a CorsairUSBxp Driver detected under the Universal Serial Bus controllers, however after I re-installed windows it was no longer there and no longer detected within the system.

- I have a suspicion that this may possibly be related to the ASmedia USB Controller on AMD motherboards but I'm not fully certain. As I have one more test to attempt.

Additional Issue 3.

No Signal to CPU_FAN header, when I plugged the header into my CPU_FAN on my motherboard, it gave no reading what-so-ever, however my multi meter did read a value from the connector coming from the pump. - I initially suspected a problem with the motherboard, but plugging in the PWM fans from the H150i to the Motherboard CPU_FAN header gave a reading from the fan. - At this moment I'm not too concerned since I know that the pump is physically running and actually cooling the cpu so I have CPU_FAN set to "ignored" on the motherboard for the time being.

Here are the things that I tried so far.

looking through the forum there was a recommendation to check the power cable going to the AIO Cooler itself. In doing so I've taken my multi meter and tested the Voltage from the FAN headers coming from the AIO PUMP and they all come back with 11.98v.

This tells me the device itself is getting adequate power, and I can see that it is because my CPU stays cool around 40~44C @ 4Ghz idle. I can also feel and hear the pump operating.

In Windows, Corsair Link does not detect my AIO cooler, and in the Windows Device Manager, there is no detected corsair device. - I've also read that there are issues with Corsair Link Version 4.9.6.19

I've tried using the USBdeview application recommended by this forum and couldn't find any corsair device listed.

I have already attempted to route a USB cable from the device to the rear motherboard USB 3.0 ports instead of the single USB 2.0 header that is built into the motherboard and I didn't find any device at all. However, there is just one more test that I haven't gotten around to attempt yet, which is taking a USB cable from the H150i plugging in to a laptop computer to see if it is detected on that device.

One other note that I should mention: I am not using the fans that came with the Corsair H150i, I am instead using the three RGB fans that came from the Corsair Crystal 570x case instead. These are three pin fans instead of the 4 pin PWM fans that came with the H150, and I have already attempted to rule this out by not running any fans at all from the H150i Cooler and I did find that the RGB lighting on the cooler itself did not light up.

Is there anything else that I could do to troubleshoot my Corsair H150i Pro Cooler? Or did I hit most of the troubleshooting bases already?

Thanks for the help,

Jez

You have pretty thoroughly run through all of the diagnostic steps.

Using the SP-RGB fans shouldn't cause any issues. However, keep in mind that you'd not be able to control them from the H150i PRO ... control of the fans requires PWM fans. They'll work but they'll run at full speed all the time, which may not be desirable.

One thing that I didn't see on here was to check the USB settings in the BIOS. On some motherboards, setting Legacy USB Support and/or XHCI Handoff to both enabled has fixed the issue.

That said, I'm quite concerned that you aren't getting a reading from the fan header. On the Pro series coolers, this will be the same as the pump RPM. Now, you've indicated that you can tell the the pump is actually working so this may indicate an issue with the microcontroller in the pump ... which is also indicated by the lack of USB detection.

Let us know what the laptop USB does. I'd be surprised, at this point, if it picks anything up. If it doesn't, I think it's safe (and fair) to say that the pump's microcontroller is bad.

Hi DevBiker,

That was a good catch, I had forgotten about the bios USB settings, I do know that the Legacy USB Support and xHCI Handoff are indeed enabled in my bios.

And a few minutes ago I actually just noticed that I am getting a reading from fan #2 in Corsair Link, it's apparently reading 85 rpm, now to my understanding, is the reading is half of the actual pump speed? If that is correct the pump is at 170 rpm, I am assuming this is not optimal at all for cooling. I can confirm this later when I get home from work (by unplugging the header from the motherboard, then Fan#2 should read 0 rpm)

30725229_794270667425569_6456186550060318720_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeE0QBdbH2w9Q8di_GqQvullTB9uIzg5JJyDiY4ibZ3sKNZolOL2pnIiVEN0QGt89JQQMzDQHcfrFOR89rMrNmxnfnGbC_WPGnES8Bm8NjZGng&oh=3f91dc7248d4972d5564141ea2bbd4c7&oe=5B5BBAD5

Edited by Jez

Assuming that 85RPM is the actual pump speed, no, that's not optimal, not in the least. And on the PRO coolers, it's the actual pump speed - it's the previous generation where it's 1/2 pump speed. IF the pump was ACTUALLY at 85RPM, your CPU wouldn't be at 35.6C ... it would go very high very quickly. But it's not. So ... I'm still think bad controller.

Do me a favor and double-check the settings for USB. Maybe switch them up? At this point, I really don't think that it'll make a difference but let's just cover all the bases.

Ok, Finally got through testing different Bios USB Settings

Legacy USB Set to enabled

xHCI Hand-off enabled

no device found.

Legacy USB set to disabled

xHCI Hand-off disabled

no device found.

Legacy USB set to enabled

xHCI Hand-off disabled

no device found.

Legacy USB set to disabled

xHCI Hand-off enabled

no device found.

Legacy USB set to Auto

xHCI Hand-off Enabled

no device found.

So it seems changing the USB settings in the bios has had no effect.

I also noticed that the Fan #2 is no longer appearing in Corsair Link now after unplugging the header from CPU_FAN and after reboots from trying the different BIOS USB settings.

So I plugged the H150i directly into my laptop via a USB Cable, the laptop doesn't detect the device, I tried another USB Cable to eliminate the possibility of a cable problem, and again no device was detected.

I think at this point it would be safe to say the microcontroller is bad.

Edited by Jez

Sounds good.

The Corsair H150i Pro RGB Cooler was purchased from an online retailer then imported to my country from USA. So chances are I might have to end up buying another one and maybe try my luck to see if I get a good unit.

But I will try to see if I can get an RMA on the device.

Anyways, thanks for your assistance DevBiker.