Corsair Community

WARNING! Abit IC7-G MAX3 owners read this!

The_Restless

I just finished installing my new Abit IC7-G Max3 motherboard (previous was the IC7-G Max2) and with my 1024 Twinx PC3700PT kit the mobo would only get to the Intel branded boot screen with the line "Press ALT to see post or DEL to enter setup" and would refuse to enter the CMOS or react to any keys. I removed the mobo to make sure I am not shorting out something with the retainers (basic probelm) and made sure nothing else was connected to the PSU other than cpu +hsf + videocard and yet it refused to finish the POST. Then I remembered my problems a few years back with the NF2 Epox boards and the then popular PC3200LL TWINX modules and voila it's the same problem all over again. I pulled out an old dusty Kingston PC2100 (256MB) module, popped it in and the mobo booted without a problem. To make it short the bios (rev 11) by default has the memory settings at 2.5 xx xx xx and will NOT recognize the PC3700 modules even at the default "by spd" setting. After putting it the Kingston ram I manually set the timing to 3-4-8-8 as Corsair suggests, rebooted the pc and switched it off. After this the mobo booted up just fine with my PC3700 Twinx kit. (also raised to voltage to 2.7) So folks you better get a cheap 256MB module of PC2100 if you want to use the Abit IC7-G MAX3 with Corsair TWINX modules or else the beast wont boot at all. I hope RamGuy will look into this as Abit refuses to acknowledge this problem and even the newest rev 12 BIOS has the same exact problem. If you guys have any questions please post here. Specs: P4 3.2C Abit IC7-G MAX3 (bios 11) 1024MB TWINX PC3700 EVGA FX5900Ultra 256MB 2x WD Raptors Plextor CD-RW Plextor DVD-R WINX Pro

However, my TwinX3200LL (2x512) booted flawlessly on my Abit IC7-MAX3, I've had no problems at all with these modules. However I'm curious about your problem since I'll probably buy some Corsair PC4000 modules later when I can afford it.. Anyone who's got such a setup to work? RamGuy, what do you think of this?

The PC3200LL has an spd setting of 2-5-5-2 but it will run/boot at cas 2.5 settings. The PC3700 has an SPD settings of 3-4-4-8 and it will NOT boot as cas 2.5 setting and thats what the MAX3's default bios sets the memory settings too at first boot. Problem is if you cannot get into the freakin' CMOS to change the setings manually then the mobo is as good as dead. So the only solution is to insert that old pc2100, boot and change the mem settings in the CMOS manually before inserting the PC3700 modules.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got two sticks of TWINX1024-3700 DDR466 XMS3700 ram and I have the same problem with my Abit IC7-G max2. What is the solution? I'm stuck on an early bios revision (Revision 11) because the twinx3700 won't work with any of the newer bios updates. Ramguy? TIA! Abit IC7-G max Bios 11 (2x512mb) Corsair TWINX1024-3700 DDR466 XMS3700 Intel p4 2.6C Matrox G400 Max Vantec 550W PSU

Hi Ramguy, Yes, I bought a stick of pc2700 ram just for this purpose but the two XMS3700 sticks will not run in the Abit IC7-G boards with anything more recent than bios revision 11. Even after I boot the system up with a single stick of pc2700 and change the timings to 3-4-4-8, the system refuses to post. Oddly enough, the system will boot up fine with a single stick of XMS3700, but not with two sticks simultaneously. The hestsinks on my XMS3700 modules have "Version 1.1" printed on it.

• Corsair Employees
Let's try replacing your modules. please send us a email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]form[/URL] or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]Rma@corsairmemory.com[/email]. Or you can also use the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.html]On Line RMA Request Form[/URL] as well. If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the RMA please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Ram Guy

• 3 months later...
I have an Abit IC7-G Max2. Do you think I will have any problems with TWINX memory? I want to get the Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2PRO 1GB DDR400 XMS3200 Pro. I've written the RAM guy many times and he's never replied. I've tried to find other posts with the same issue I have but haven't found anything specific to my situation, deciding on what is the best memory I can buy for performance for my system. I am not an overclocker. Thanks, Tim :D:

Archived