Corsair Community

H115i Hydro 40C issue

Gulerod

Hi

I've been searching for 2 days now for a solution, and i really hope someone here has the magic trick.

I have a H115i Hydro cooler set to quiet in Corsair Link. That works all fine just up until the temp hits 40 degrees celsius. Then the fans go from silent to a jet engine (100%). According to the Link profile for quiet, it is supposed to go to 60% at 40 C.

I've been googleling and seen many write about another monitoring software that might interfere with Link. I've tried to disable Q-Fan in my Asus bios, and i have no other monitoring software beside LINK. What could be the issue?

This is a known issue with these coolers.

Your best bet is to create a custom curve with the final point (last value) somewhere out "high" ... like 50C.

In looking at your system specs, though ... you probably shouldn't be hitting 40C with any kind of regularity. That may indicate an issue with overall airflow in the system. How do you have the cooler configured (exhaust vs. intake), what is your ambient/room temperature and when do you notice this happening?

Despite the appearance of the profile, most of them will max at out the 40C mark. There is nothing particularly special about that temperature (nothing happens at 41C), but it does represent a pretty large increase in CPU waste heat in a 20-23C. The problem is when the case temperature does not start off there or you add a lot of GPU waste heat and bump the temperature up that way.

Better or more efficient case heat management is not always possible, so the best solution is you use your own custom curve. Set the second to last dot at the highest speed you want to see/hear. Save the last dot for some fail-safe or warning point at 45 or 50C. If the pump doesn't start one day, you will know pretty quickly as the fans blast off, while still maintaining quieter normal use - even in warm conditions.

This is a known issue with these coolers.

Your best bet is to create a custom curve with the final point (last value) somewhere out "high" ... like 50C.

In looking at your system specs, though ... you probably shouldn't be hitting 40C with any kind of regularity. That may indicate an issue with overall airflow in the system. How do you have the cooler configured (exhaust vs. intake), what is your ambient/room temperature and when do you notice this happening?

I hit 40 when gaming World of Warcraft for some time, but not more than 40. Actually its a bit annoying because the fans go from 50% to 100% when i hit 40 for about 2-3 seconds, then it gets below 40 and goes back to 50%. Its like that the whole session. Like someone testing their jet engine.

I'll try that custom one and set it to 50 and see if i ever hit that point (dont think so)

I hit 40 when gaming World of Warcraft for some time, but not more than 40. Actually its a bit annoying because the fans go from 50% to 100% when i hit 40 for about 2-3 seconds, then it gets below 40 and goes back to 50%. Its like that the whole session. Like someone testing their jet engine.

I'll try that custom one and set it to 50 and see if i ever hit that point (dont think so)

Yup ... that's an issue of overall thermal management. I'm going to guess that your cooler is set up as exhaust; the heat from the GPU is going through the radiator and may actually be warming up the coolant. If you can better manage the heat from the GPU, you shouldn't ever hit 40C. In my system, I don't ever go over 38C (and even hit that rarely). I also have my case fans based on the temperature just above the GPU and monitor the intake temperature of the radiator as well, thanks to my Commander Pro. ;)

Just to answer some of the questions i missed by you.

You are absolutely correct. The cooler is set to exhaust.

My room temperature at the moment is 21C, and will probably rise to 25-26 during the summer i guess.

I have now tried to mimic the silent curve in my custom one by moving all the dots one step to the next dot and the last one goes 100% at 50C. The 2 first dots were the same anyway so yeah just moved them to mimic the silent profile, with the first dot at 25C instead of 20C.

I played some but didnt notice the jet, but wasnt sure i hit 40. I'll test a bit more tomorrow.

Now for a newbie question. If I wanted to change the fans to intake instead of exhaust, what exactly am i supposed to do? :)

Literally flip them around to face the other direction. Unlike a typical house fan, most computer fans take air in from the "pretty side" of the fan, what you perceive as the front. The back side or label side of the fan is the exhaust side. Usually flat, has vanes, and some kind of specification sticker.

I am not sure this is a positive change for most rear H80i set-ups. Rather than cooler air, you are probably pulling warm air back in and it still does not change the real issue -- the close proximity of the GPU backplate to the underside of the radiator.

With that ASUS board I believe you can install AISuite and control the fans through that. It works great on my system. The only downside is that you can't use the cooler temperature so you'll have to use other temp sensor like the CPU temp.

Now for an update..

I have now had the time to take it a spin.

As written I have made a custom profile in Link as mentioned above. THANKS for that suggestion. My last point in custom profile is now 50 C and 100% fan. Maybe I'll lower that to 45 C.

I've played for a bit now and see it stops at 40,5 C. It doesn't get above that, and I probably could lower that with better heat management of my case, and I will try that in the upcoming weeks.

But for now it works. The 40 C issue is now "solved" with a workaround using custom profile since Link quiet mode isn't working as intended.

Just if other sits with the same issue as me. Thanks a lot so far.

You can leave the max at 50C. In my testing with a H80i over a few years, I found the peak useful fan speed was around 1800-1900 for both fans. Anything beyond that was noise and I really did not need that much fan speed for cpu cooling. However, it was my only active exhaust port and I needed the speed to get the heat out of the case. The max speed is best used at an alarm function at a temp you should never get to unless something goes wrong. If you are st 40C now, it is possible you could see 45 at the height of Summer as the room temp escalates.

the best way to set a custom profile I found out with my H80i v2 was to set the last dot on the custom profile to a temp your cooler will never get to say 50c and them set the rest to your liking and max fan speeds you can live with the max on the H80i v2 I had witch I was happy with was 50% the rest was just like jet engine