Corsair Community

Issue with H80i V2

Kelsier

Hi guys, I've got an issue with my H80i form some time now, and I don't really now what to do anymore. Any time I play a slightly demanding game the liquid temp starts to rise quickly, as you can see in the attachments, and it easily reaches 45° (which is set as a warning in the corsair link). I forgot to screen the time in the first image, but it's 11:06, and as you can see it reaches 40° in 20 minutes and it takes more than 10 to cool down. I've even tried to play with the open case but it didn't do much, I don't know what causes this issue, nor how to solve it.

1418423494_Temp111-06.thumb.png.f70d926e3831938cad587e91dbf91d53.png

Temp2.thumb.png.ec8079dd346a25c67b7a357232941ae8.png

Temp3.thumb.png.2614462d947e4fe1c5984eafe7963b58.png

Temp4.thumb.png.438acb4ada34a7e5b6feee5c47cf04fd.png

From the slide show, it looks like your H80i v2 is more or less following your case temperature increases, plus the normal +6-8C when at load. Your starting Link image shows a 24C coolant temp. If you have an issue with a partial blockage or similar, it can't stay there for more than 30 seconds and you see high idle coolant temps of 35-40-45C and up. On your cool down, it drops back down to same temperature as your drives, which is about the best approximation I can get from the Link shots.

Is the H80i v2 mounted above the GPU in the back? Exhaust or intake? Unfortunately, that common placement does bring some additional local heat with it. A 1070 is not a blast furnace, but you will be affected by long duration GPU loads. Can you describe the rest of the case fans and their direction? It seems like we should take a look at total case heat management.

A +20C coolant delta is something to take notice off. However, don't worry about the 45C line. It is not a warning or fail point and nothing happens at 46C. However, that does become the baseline for your CPU temps and when you have a coolant temp that high, it does put you at a disadvantage with the current crop of high performance Lake CPUs.

Yes, it's right above the GPU. The only other fan is the stock one from the case.

A +20C coolant delta is something to take notice off. However, don't worry about the 45C line. It is not a warning or fail point and nothing happens at 46C. However, that does become the baseline for your CPU temps and when you have a coolant temp that high, it does put you at a disadvantage with the current crop of high performance Lake CPUs.

The thing is, the alert did worry me a bit and I always stopped there, but seeing how fast it is to reach 45° (it usually takes only 10 more minutes or so) I'm a bit worried it could keep increasing even further.

It seems like we should take a look at total case heat management.

That's more or less what I wanted to know. I mean, I thought that it was either the case or the H80, and wanted to know which one should be "fixed". The case is actually the last piece left of my old pc, so I've been thinking about changing it for some time. Should I change it, add more fans, or both?

P.s. I only had this issue with one game when I had my old processor (2600k), the problem started when I switched to the 7700k.

Thank you for your answer!

Yeah, Kaby and Coffee can run high right out of the box, unlike the older processors that needed a healthy overclock before temperature became an issue.

The easy, low expense thing to do it put two more exhaust fans up top (120mm x 2) and another 120mm on the bottom as intake -- if you can. Right now you have a single 140mm intake, the very small amount of air you exhaust through the radiator, and everything else is passive heat release through the top. If you have any other physical restrictions around the case (squeezed between desk and wall, under desk, etc.) that would be a pretty warm combination. With a rear mounted cooler above the GPU you will never see the same low coolant delta as someone with a gigantic case and a 360mm CPU radiator, but I would think you could knock off 5-10C from the case ambient temp and that is passed onto everything.

Ultimately, you don't have a lot of flexible options on that case and if you can't put a bottom fan in because of drives, etc., then the intake air volume is really limited. This does not mean you need to go buy a new case, but if you have been thinking of getting one, you might as well take all of this into consideration. The tricky part is there are not a lot of great fits for a H80i v2, The package is huge at nearly 100mm. The rear exhaust is a natural fit, but with heat penalties in GPU load scenarios. There are not a lot of cases where you can stick a 10cm cooler in the front or top and it doesn't look and feel awkward. Rather than let the H80i v2 bind you into a case you might not really want, it would be more practical and probably satisfying to pick a double panel cooler that naturally fits the case you do want. Coolers come and go. The case often tends to be the piece that survives the longest. Get the one you want. Find solutions for other things. That of course then makes the case + cooler a measurable expense and now may not be the time.

For general cooler health, there are a few things to watch for. If the cooler is slipping, it will also show it at idle. In a cool or just booted state, the H80i v2 Temp should be about +4-7 over room temp. It will start off at the ambient and then slowly tick a few degrees up until it levels, usually over 10-15 min. If you boot up and it goes +10-15C over the room temp, something is wrong. You are right, really slow to cool down is another warning sign, but the cooler can only be as low the case temp. This makes the diagnosis trickier after things like gaming. These coolers do not last forever and I don't see any clear signs of failure now, but they can be easy to miss when you operate in a warm environment all the time.

• Confused 1

I have it on a desk, with the wall behid, it's the best I can do unfortunately (and you're right, the room is hot usually). With the way things are set up I don't see a lot of space for more fans, the ram and the H80's cables seem to take a lot of the space to add more fans. The reason I wanted to get a new case instead of a new cooler is that the first is 7 years old, while I bought the latter only a year ago, when the air cooler of my old cpu died (I wanted to get a H100, but there wasn't enough room in the case, because of my old motherboard).

I was thinking of either 570x or 460x, the H80 shoud fit in there, shouldn't it?

Otherwise, my only option is a full tower I guess.

Edited by Kelsier

On the desk with a wall behind is not an issue. Every once in a while I'll have a long conversation back and forth and it turns out the case is in a cabinet with a cat that sleeps on top of it. Changes the priority list somewhat.

Yes, a H80i v2 will fit in either the 470 or 570x. Again the natural rear exhaust is available, but the better performing position will likely be the top 120mm position on the front rail. That will move the cooler away from the GPU while letting is dump its waste heat more or less right back out the top exhaust. That said, teh 470/570 is a very nice looking all glass case and it may be that chunky block is less appealing in time, but then you will have the option of a 240/360mm radiator (usually front mounted) at a later date.

That said, teh 470/570 is a very nice looking all glass case and it may be that chunky block is less appealing in time, but then you will have the option of a 240/360mm radiator (usually front mounted) at a later date.

I'm not one to fixate on the aesthetic, if there's a better case I'm up for it, what I liked was having 3 fans already in, without having to look for them. I've seen the 780T for a full tower that I also liked, I'm not sure what to do.

I think the 470/570 gives you a better option for dealing with the H80i v2. The 780 will be too long a reach in the front and the case dynamics make that a less appealing placement. Top mount gets a bit tedious, but is possible. Regardless, these coolers don't last forever and I would go with the case you like and fits your other needs.

I think the 470/570 gives you a better option for dealing with the H80i v2.

I have only one last question then: those cases have 3 frontal fans, which I suppose should be used as intake, will the H80 be ok as the only exhaust, or should I add another fan in the back?

Thank you for all your answers, you've been extremely helpful!