Corsair Community

Problems with H80i v2 and Asus z170

GA7B90

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my new liquid cooler and would really appreciate some help or guidance.

So about a year ago I got a custom pc from box.co.uk Everything was great until about 2 weeks ago when the liquid cooler started making a large noise, almost like a sludging noise and the CPU temp was running at 80+ degrees, even when idle. So I assumed that the water cooler had stopped working and bought the H80i v2.

I don't have much experience with computer hardware but foolishly thought I should give it a go. Everything seemed to go OK, took the old liquid cooler out, assembled the new one and installed it OK. I took pics of where what cables where attached to which headers before I took the old one out. It looked like the fan was connected to CPU_FAN and the cooler was connected to CHA_FAN.

With the H80i there's an extra fan so it had a Y cable that both fans connected into and then one connector I think was to be put into the CPU_FAN. Problem is, i keep getting a "CPU fan speed error" on the POST screen and when i enter the BIOS the CPU temp is also steadily climbing.

The only bit of success I've had is if i don't use the Y cable and plug the 2 fans and pump cable in separately. But even with this the temp still rises to 80+ degrees and both fans are running at 2700-2800RPM.

Thanks very much for your help and if theres any extra info you need please just ask.

Usually when you talk about the CPU temp "rising" up to 80C, that means you can see it tick up in the BIOS or desktop 40-45-50-55.. etc. This means the pump is not running or the flow blocked in some way. The H80i v2 will report half of its actual pump speed in the BIOS, so you should see something (about 1000 rpm indicated speed). However, the CPU fan error suggests the pump is on CPU Fan, rather than something else. It is also a further indicator something happened to the pump and the BIOS cannot see a operable device there.

The fans are maxed out because the coolant temp is very high. Again, something that should not happen unless your case temp is 40C or the fluid is not moving. I am afraid it is the latter.

Contact Tech Support through the Support Ticket System Link in the menu above. I am not sure of the requirements when it is a builder case rather than an individual purchase, but you are going to need a new cooler.