Corsair Community

need an rma

Junior2k4

hey, i have a gig of cmx512-4000pro that seems to be malfunctioning. i keep getting video corruption whenever i use it. it doesn't matter what i set the memory frequency to, it just refuses to give me clear pictures when i play video games. i swapped it out for some mushkin 3200 and everything works fine. i was reading about getting an rma and it says i need to post in here first so that is what i am doing. i'm running the memory in an asus p4p800 deluxe mobo. let me know if you need any more information to help me get this memory replaced.

thanks ramguy,

Junior2k4

• Corsair Employees
Can you tell me the make and model of MB you have along with the CPU speed and it’s FSB as well? In addition, please tell me the bios settings you have set for both CPU and memory and any performance settings that you may have set?

asus p4p800 deluxe

pentium 4 2.4c (800mhz fsb)

bios:

memory timings 3-4-4-8 burst length of 8

240mhz fsb

agp/pci frequency 66.66/33.33

ddr voltage 2.85

cpu voltage 1.65 (not sure if this is the right voltage)

everything else is set to standard except for the devices that i shut off like the serial ports etc...

corsair tech support finally got back to me and walked me through the setup. i'm still experiencing the video corruption during video games, so tech support told me to get memtest and test my memory. i just got it and realized that i need a floppy drive and i don't have one. what should i do? do i need to run this in order to get the rma because i really need to get this memory replaced.

thanks ramguy

• Corsair Employees

No problem, but we can go ahead and try replacing your modules, but this type of issue is usually Video or PSU related.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

well i ran memtest, which didn't find anything.

i don't think it is my video card or my psu. when i replace the memory everything looks perfect. on top of that i have replaced my video card twice and that hasn't made any difference. i went from a radeon 8500 to a radeon 9700 to a geforce 6800gt and back to the 9700. none of them fixed the problem. i'm going to request an rma now. i'll keep you posted.

thanks ramguy.

PS which post number should i use? the first one on this thread? 173109?

• 2 weeks later...

well, i got the new memory and installed it. at 200mhz it wasn't giving me any problems. i then took it up to 215 and still had no problems. i did notice that i can't take it up to 250mhz or even 240mhz (which is what i was running at with the old memory). now i don't know what has happened in the last week, but i'm getting that video corruption again. it seems even worse than before because now it is really slowing down my games. also, i'm starting to have bad information placed on my hard drive. do you think this is just some incompatability with my motherboard and the memory? once again, i'm using an asus p4p800 delux mobo and i have the newest bios (1019) installed.this is incredibly frustrating! any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

PS do you think that i might need to go with a completely different model of memory?

i'm not exactly sure what you mean by s-spec. i went to overclockers.com though. i looked in their cpu database and it looks like someone with my processor and motherboard managed to overclock to 3.8ghz. my standard voltage is 1.55 and they have theirs set to 1.75. i'm not sure what he did, but it seems like he found a way to unlock his cpu. anyways, i wont be able to try my ram in another motherboard until saturday at the very earliest. is there anything else i can do until then?

• Corsair Employees
How do you know it was your same CPU? The S-SPEC is the code for the Core of the CPU you have. And the data is stored by the S-SPEC # like SYL6C. In addition, the user may have been using exotic cooling to get that high of an O.C.

ok, i checked it out and i am using the sl6wf made in malaysia. i checked the cpu database at overclockers.com and saw that someone using stock cooling and voltage got up to 3.4ghz. again, i'm not and overclocking expert, so i don't know how he acheived that speed. anyways, let me know if there is anymore information that you need and if you have found the solution to my problem. thanks a lot!

• Corsair Employees
Just a after thaught, are you using active cooling on the chipset? And can you tell me the make and model of PSU you have and the make and model of Video card? Also what bios version are you using?

• Corsair Employees
Yes, based on your configuration, you would need about 320 Watt Max continuous power and a 350 Watt would be rated at about 200-250 Watts Max Continuous. And as you over clock the power needed would go up in relation to your frequency.

:/ another thing is that i used to have some geil 3200 memory that let me overclock to 2.73 (which is about where i want it) and it didn't give me any video corruption at all. also, i would appreciate it if you shared the source of your information reguarding power requirements. it would be helpful for when i plan on adding extra HDDs :)

Archived