Corsair Community

115i Pro fan startup

JSX

I have a 115i Pro paired with 2x ML 140.

The RGB led's are hooked up to the controller and the fans are hooked up to the radiator.

During a cold boot one fan spins up and then maybe 5 seconds later the second fan spins up.

Is this normal?

Also I'm having trouble getting my case fans to spin faster. Again I'm using the ML140's but this time it's hooked up to chassis 1 and 2 on my motherboard. What setting do I gotta use to make them run at full or near full speed?

I wouldn't worry about the fans on the cooler. How is everything once it boots? Are the fans speeds approximately the same in Link when it's running?

On the case fans ... you have a problem. Your motherboard only supports 3-pin, DC controlled fans for the chassis fans. While most PWM fans can also run in DC mode, because of how the magnetic levitation works, this isn't advisable at all for the ML fans. So your only option for those fans is to run them at full speed. This will give them the full 12V that they need. Alternatively, you could hook them to the CPU header with a splitter; this appears to be PWM controlled. That would give you control of those fans.

No, on the X299 you will have DC/PWM capable headers - unlike the one in your specs. Look at what control variables you have to use. We can’t be specific without knowing what board you are on now. Don’t run it in DC mode. It’s not good for the fan motor.

About the same once running.

This is a X299 motherboard. Right now the fans are running at 400ish rpm. If I switch it to DC will it run the full 1200ish?

I was going by the system specs you have listed. Maybe you should update those? It'd be helpful ...

It's an Asus ROG X299 XE

Right. Please edit your system specs to reflect the correct configuration; it does save a whole bunch of trouble and time.

As for the fan, on a PWM header, as long as it's in PWM mode, it'll run at whatever percentage the curve has it set for. So if it's not running at the speed that you think is should be running at, you need to edit the fan curve. This can be done in the BIOS and, on the Asus boards, in Asus AISuite as well. If you've installed AISuite, I suggest that you dig around in there; it'll override any settings that you may have in the BIOS.

It's an Asus ROG X299 XE

I don't think you can set it DC if you have a 4 pin fan hooked up. It forces it back to PWM mode, so I guess it knows.

You can force DC or PWM mode in the Advanced BIOS -> Monitor tab, but it is best to leave it on Auto. It doesn't often make mistakes except on a few odd ball fans.

With X299, you should have VRM temp as a control variable for case fans. This was always my favorite on X99 and was a pretty good measure of system activity and with a decent temp range to make granular adjustments. Absent that, you can buy a 10K thermistor for $6 and connect it the motherboard temp sensor 2 pin prong. Where to stick the measuring end of the cable is a little trickier and may depend on the balance of your workload between CPU and GPU, but as long as it is some place that registers a decent temp change, it should be effective.

Okay guys, I figured it out.

I set the fan profile in the bios to full speed. Now it's running at 1100ish rpm.

I have to check again, but I do remember reading about the 2 pin sensor. I think I already may have it.

Anyways about my first question, is it normal that the right fan spins up first then the left 5 seconds later on the 115i pro? (cold boot only)

Pump is sata powered and the fan header is plugged into cpu_fan. Fans are plugged into the 2x 280 rad. ML RGB connections are hooked up to the controller. The leds do light up and do their thing.

System specs updated.

Edited by JSX

It possible the PRO coolers have a sequential fan start-up to minimize the initial current spike at power on --- the most likely moment for something electrically unfortunate to happen. Others have mentioned this and I think I have seen a few times, although I rarely look at the fans when I hit the power button.

Do you really want your case fans at 1100 rpm and stuck that way? You likely aren't making much difference and if you really need that kind of airflow, you might want a specialized fan for that purpose.

Well 400ish rpm definitely isn't doing anything. At 1100 it's only audible if I try, and that's what I have to start taking things apart.

The rad fans I left at the default auto which is connected to the splitters then cpu_fan. I'm not even sure that reading is correct, it says 2100 rpm? (x2 reading?)

Well if it's a per-cautionary measure I'm okay with that.

2100 rpm should be the pump in Balanced Mode. If you are fine with the 1100 rpm speed, then great. Yes, 400 would be the minimum and not likely to do much when under load. You will only see the radiator fan speed with Link open, if they are connected to the pump's controller. There are some other monitoring utilities (HWINFO) that can see the H115i Pro coolant, pump, and fan speeds, but you can't run it at the same time as Link.