Corsair Community

How to oil a Corsair SP fan?

dcx4610

I've only had my Corsair Hydro for a little over 2 months and one of the fans is already making a squeaking/chirping sound.

I've had success with other fans in the past by removing the sticker and adding some machine oil to the ball bearings. I removed the sticker on the Corsair fan (SP model) and noticed it doesn't have a rubber plug like every other fan I've had but a hard plastic piece which doesn't seem removable.

Is there any way to oil these fans or do I no choice but to RMA?

No too many ball bearing fans in the upscale consumer market anymore. You need to be specific about which SP fan you have (there are at least 7 different ones). It sounds like these are some that came with a cooler, so the model number of the cooler will be enough. Regardless, it will almost surely be a Fluid Dynamic Bearing which is a sealed capsule. I am not sure I have ever successfully reassembled one. Usually when I take it apart, it is a matter of science and anger with no intent to resurrect.

Corsair will RMA the fan. Make sure you specifically mention the unit is relatively new (don't leave it to them to calculate from the invoice) and do not let them try and tell you the entire cooler needs to come back. However, my advice is to let it go and upgrade the fans to a model that is more soothing. We are probably talking about a SP120L or SP140L and I am not sure its worth the trouble when you can upgrade sound, performance, aesthetics, and longevity at the same time. The ML PRO fans are a like for like replacement with a gain in all of the above categories. Lots of choices, most of which I prefer over the stock fans.