Corsair Community

Can I control fan speed with led hub using Link?

sfsccn

I'm using Link with an RGB fan led hub. I'm wondering if I can control the fan speeds as they're a bit noisy. The profiles all seem to be the same. I don't see any other way to control speeds in Link. Do I need a commander or some other part?

I just upgraded to 4.9.6.19, but before the upgrade changing the profile changed the speed big time, so it can definitely control speed (quiet was actually much louder than balanced). Now the all profiles seem the same.

Help appreciated, thanks!

Link will control fan speeds of connected Corsair coolers and fan connected to the Commander Pro. That's it. It cannot control fan speeds for fans connected to the motherboard.

Can you provide a bit more information about the fans that you are trying to control and what they are connected to? Filling out your system specs by clicking "Edit System Specs" at the top is also tremendously helpful.

I'm primarily interested in controlling the 3 front HD Series RGB fans which are connected to the led hub. They are not connected directly to the motherboard, only the top 2 fans are and I can control those via BIOS. I added some system specs. I'm not sure how the hub connects to the motherboard, I think it's via USB. The machine was built by DigitalStorm.

Help appreciated, thanks!

Can you post an image of your Link configuration screen?

The Fan RGB Hub only controls the RGB. It doesn't control the fan speed. So there is something controlling the fan speeds for these front fans. Unless you have a Commander Pro, it's either the motherboard or another device that DigitalStorm installed. I didn't see that they had an option for installing the Commander Pro so I doubt that's it. What cooler option do you have?

And ... to reiterate ... the RGB Fan hub is only for RGB. There are two separate connectors on the HD fans ... 1 for RGB and 1 for fan power and control.

I uploaded the Configure (top, bottom) and Home screens for Link.

Two separate rgb/control connectors from HD fans, huh? I only see a single 4-pin wire coming from those fans. Those wires are then a bit hard to follow, but they appear to then connect to the hub. I found an installation manual for these fans and discovered there's supposed to be a controller. After some hunting I actually did find that controller in my system - pic attached. The controller has 3 buttons: speed, color, mode. The last 2 buttons solved another problem - I fixed the annoying pulsating rainbow thing on my front fans. Unfortunately, the speed button seems to do nothing. Apparently there's an optional cable that can attach to the controller which can provide control via other sources, but it's not attached in my system, and I didn't find it in my box of parts.

As far as I can tell my front 3 fans are not connected to the motherboard. Only CHA_FAN2 and M.2_FAN are occupied, CHA_FAN1 and EXT_FAN are unoccupied. Using the BIOS (Q-Fan Control) I was able to determine CHA_FAN2 and M.2_FAN control the top rear and front fans, respectively. Those 2 top fans have different, random colors as opposed to the front 3 which have a continuously changing colors, so they're probably bypassing the hub and going directly to the motherboard. I also tested all the other fans visible in the bios, and the front 3 fans were never affected, only the top 2. So I think if anything's controlling the front 3 fans it's Corsair-related. Note also that before upgrading Link to the latest version, I was able to make those fans run really loud and fast by selecting any profile other than "balanced" (including "quiet").

So I really don't know how those 3 front fans are being controlled. They do vary in speed (and volume), so something's going on.

967785925_LinkConfigure-Top.png.a0a7fc4798b5646614a5d75be7afb436.png

1939134203_LinkConfigure-Bottom.png.7f65b2389065d4120b8e9bd4062b1934.png

1802966855_LinkHome.thumb.png.cf321a6267807127955d53ea13eeb9b9.png

Controller.png.16579688cbd79ad10b819623c24760e6.png

So ... here's the deal.

The fans that you see in Link are your motherboard fans. They are not controllable by Link.

Now, you do have an H115i and apparently you also have iCue installed. You'll be able to control the fans attached to the H115i (assuming that DigitalStorm installed them as per instructions) in iCue. If those are the fans that are causing noise, you can certainly take care of that there.

Your HD fans' lighting is controlled by the HD Push-Button Controller. You cannot control the RGB from Link or iCue; you'd need a Commander Pro or a Lighting Node Pro to do that.

I've looked at DigitalStorm's website and they have their own control software and devices. I don't know what they are, how they work or how they are connected.

Beyond that, your best option is to contact DigitalStorm. I'm not trying to blow you off ... I just can't help you and there's not likely going to be many, if any, folks on this forum that can unless they are familiar with how DigitalStorm sets up their machines.

Yes, I agree with all this, and I am in touch with DS support (wish they responded as quickly as you!). One new thing: I discovered I had confused the 2 fans on the H115i cooler with the 3 front case fans. The 2 cooler fans sit just behind those front fans and have only 1 wire coming out of them, which confused me because I expected 2 from RGB fans. I can't get a good look at the front case fans yet, I need to remove the front panel. I expect to find rgb and control wires coming from each. I know the rgb wires go to the hub: unplugging cables 1-3 at the hub turns the color off (not the power) for the 3 fronts fans.

The big question is where do the power/control wires go and how are they controlled; via some DigitalStorm software perhaps?

I can't seem to control the front case fans from the CUE using the H115i device. There's a performance section with quiet, balanced and extreme options but selecting them seems to have no effect on any fans, including those on the cooler. Maybe I'm not using it right.

Yes, I agree with all this, and I am in touch with DS support (wish they responded as quickly as you!). One new thing: I discovered I had confused the 2 fans on the H115i cooler with the 3 front case fans. The 2 cooler fans sit just behind those front fans and have only 1 wire coming out of them, which confused me because I expected 2 from RGB fans. I can't get a good look at the front case fans yet, I need to remove the front panel. I expect to find rgb and control wires coming from each. I know the rgb wires go to the hub: unplugging cables 1-3 at the hub turns the color off (not the power) for the 3 fronts fans.

Yup, that sounds exactly right.

The big question is where do the power/control wires go and how are they controlled; via some DigitalStorm software perhaps?

Yeah ... that is the big question.

I can't seem to control the front case fans from the CUE using the H115i device. There's a performance section with quiet, balanced and extreme options but selecting them seems to have no effect on any fans, including those on the cooler. Maybe I'm not using it right.

If iCue is showing fan speeds for the cooler, then the cooler fans are connected to the pump, as they should be. At low load/usage, you really won't notice a difference between the different performance modes; they kick up the radiator fan speeds as the temperature of the coolant increases. This is not a sudden thing; it takes a while. You also need to click the mode and then click the fan to apply the mode to the fan. You can also create brand new fan curves if you like.

Ok, I think it figured it out. I believe the front fans are connected to CPU_FAN, probably via a splitter, and I can indeed control them from the BIOS. I intentionally avoided messing with the cpu fans as I didn't want to screw up the cpu and never imagined the front fans would go there. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the Asus bios to run the fans lower than 60% so I still have the noise problem, but that's for another forum. Thanks for your help!

Ok, I think it figured it out. I believe the front fans are connected to CPU_FAN, probably via a splitter, and I can indeed control them from the BIOS. I intentionally avoided messing with the cpu fans as I didn't want to screw up the cpu and never imagined the front fans would go there. Unfortunately I can't seem to get the Asus bios to run the fans lower than 60% so I still have the noise problem, but that's for another forum. Thanks for your help!

That's not correct. The pump should be connected to CPU_FAN; this provides the pump RPM as the tach signal to the motherboard. If the pump fails completely, you'll get a CPU Fan warning.

If they won't go below 60%, that usually indicates that they are configured as DC mode, rather than PWM. These are the HD fans, correct? If so, they are absolutely HD fans. Also, the fan curves for fans connected to the CPU Fan header can only be tied to CPU temperature, which probably isn't ideal.

Hmmm, that sounds bad. Adjusting the CPU FAN in the BIOS (via "Q-Fan Control") definitely changes those front fan speeds, but maybe there's more to it. I could ask DigitalStorm.

Note AIO_PUMP is occupied but W_PUMP (water pump+) is not.

Yes, these HD fans can only be used in DC mode, PWM just runs them at full so I assume it's not supported. I found I do have the option to reduce some of the fans from 60% down to around 30% by running the tuning program in the BIOS. But the settings don't always stick for some reason.

Asus AI Suite will not install and SpeedFan detects no fans. Any other options for fan control from Windows?

If I recall correctly, the H115i is SATA powered. So putting it on the AIO_PUMP header does no good - this is just a standard fan header that has speed control disabled by default. AIO_PUMP header is best for AIOs that require full power and also require fan control from the CPU Fan header.

The Corsair HD RGB Fans are PWM fans and are best controlled as PWM. They can be controlled in DC mode but it's not optimal. Now ... if they are using a splitter that doesn't have the 4th pin, that would be a problem - and certainly cause the symptoms that you describe. I'm not saying that's what they did but it does sound like it's possible.

Consider yourself lucky that AI Suite doesn't install. I'm not familiar with SpeedFan except that I know of it's existence. Other options would be the Commander Pro. It also looked like DigitalStorm had their own control software and system ... but you'd have to ask them about it.

Lol, the DS guys also warned me strongly against AI Suite. Oh well. I'm discussing the fans/cpu slot thing with them. I will most likely be unraveling their wiring tomorrow to see what the heck goes to what. I'm hoping to get fans PWM-connected a non-CPU slot, but will also keep the Commander Pro in mind. I'll also discuss the pump issue with DS and try to make sure that's configured optimally. Thanks!

You do need something connected to the CPU Fan to give it a tach reading. Verify that your pump is SATA powered; then you can connect it to the CPU header without any other action on your part. If it's not SATA powered, then you can still connect to that header, you just need to make sure it's running at full speed.

I'm beginning to unravel cables. I had assumed the 3 front fans were connected to CPU_FAN based on what happened when I changed the CPU FAN speeds in the BIOS. They're not. The 3 front fans plus the rear fan are grouped into a single cable connected to CPU_OPT. I'm not that experienced but the way this is done looks pretty weird. The 4-pin F fan cables are forced into 3-pin M slots by physically breaking those slots, as well as some other odd concoctions.

The single side fan is connected to CPU_FAN.

I have a question: would it be typical for CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT to be controlled in the BIOS by the single "CPU FAN" option? The motherboard manual doesn't seem to answer this. This would be consistent with what I see from manipulating "CPU FAN" in the BIOS. If so, would all those fans then have speeds determined by the CPU temperature sensor?

I'll see if I can figure out the pump...

I'm beginning to unravel cables. I had assumed the 3 front fans were connected to CPU_FAN based on what happened when I changed the CPU FAN speeds in the BIOS. They're not. The 3 front fans plus the rear fan are grouped into a single cable connected to CPU_OPT. I'm not that experienced but the way this is done looks pretty weird. The 4-pin F fan cables are forced into 3-pin M slots by physically breaking those slots, as well as some other odd concoctions.

I would agree that this is pretty unusual. The 4 fans to a single header would have me concerned with max current draw when all 4 fans are at max. Putting 4-pin cables on 3-pin slots isn't that unusual; most (not all) 4-pin PWM fans can also be controlled as a DC-controlled fan but it's not ideal. That's more for backwards compatibility with older motherboards and fan controllers.

This also means that the fans are exclusively controlled by CPU temperature, which isn't necessarily ideal, especially in a liquid cooled system.

The single side fan is connected to CPU_FAN.

Also quite odd.

I have a question: would it be typical for CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT to be controlled in the BIOS by the single "CPU FAN" option? The motherboard manual doesn't seem to answer this. This would be consistent with what I see from manipulating "CPU FAN" in the BIOS. If so, would all those fans then have speeds determined by the CPU temperature sensor?

I'll see if I can figure out the pump...

It's actually pretty common for the CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT headers to be linked; the typical use case for these headers is for 2 fans on a tower air cooler or 2 fans on a "standard" AIO (without smart controls like the Corsair coolers have). So this actually makes a good deal of sense. The way DigitalStorm is using these headers is, however, a bit different from what I'd expect, especially when you have other fan headers available on the motherboard. You can also go into the BIOS and enable Q-Fan control for the AIO_PUMP header, which would give you an additional fan header to use for fan control - after putting the pump on the CPU_FAN header.

I count 7 wires coming out of the pump. One of them, a single wire, connects to a 3-socket plug which connects to the 4-pin AIO_PUMP. If I followed it correctly, a group 2 of wires connects to what appears to be a power cable coming out of the SSD drive - maybe that's the SATA cable? Finally, there's a 4-wire group that I had trouble following, I believe these connect to the radiator fans.

As you said before, the pump manual specifically says "connect the power cable to the CPU_FAN".

One possibility would be to move the plug currently in AIO_PUMP to CPU_FAN, and plug the fans into more appropriate sockets like CHA_FAN. Does that make sense?

Do you know if the 3-hole pump plug will only fit into the 4-pin CPU_FAN socket one way? If not, and 1 of the 2 ways is incorrect, how do you orient?

I count 7 wires coming out of the pump. One of them, a single wire, connects to a 3-socket plug which connects to the 4-pin AIO_PUMP.

Yes, this provides a tachometer signal. Only one wire is needed for that.

If I followed it correctly, a group 2 of wires connects to what appears to be a power cable coming out of the SSD drive - maybe that's the SATA cable?

Yes, that's what it sound like. The connector should be wide and relatively flat.

Finally, there's a 4-wire group that I had trouble following, I believe these connect to the radiator fans.

This is most likely the USB connector that allows Link/iCue to communicate with the cooler and should connect to a USB header on your motherboard. The wires should be Red/Green/White/Black.

As you said before, the pump manual specifically says "connect the power cable to the CPU_FAN".

It does, yes, and it's beneficial to understand why. This cooler (unlike some others) isn't powered from the fan header. But it does provide a tach signal to the CPU_FAN header. This eliminates a CPU Fan speed warning from your BIOS ... except in the case of a total pump failure. If the pump isn't operating, you'll get a CPU Fan warning when you boot. And that's a good thing.

One possibility would be to move the plug currently in AIO_PUMP to CPU_FAN, and plug the fans into more appropriate sockets like CHA_FAN. Does that make sense?

It sure does.

Do you know if the 3-hole pump plug will only fit into the 4-pin CPU_FAN socket one way? If not, and 1 of the 2 ways is incorrect, how do you orient?

It'll only go on one way. There will be a tab on the CPU_FAN header and a corresponding slot on the fan connector from the cooler. To put it on the wrong way, you'd need to be breaking tabs off and forcing things. And if you find yourself doing this to connect things, you're doing something very, very wrong.

Edited by DevBiker

Ok, I did some rewiring as follows:

ORIGINAL

• 3 front fans + rear fan: 3-pin CPU_OPT
  • Side fan: 3-pin CPU_FAN
  • Top rear fan: 3-pin CHA_FAN2
  • Top front fan: 3-pin M.2_FAN
  • H115i monitoring wire: 3-pin AIO_PUMP
  • Chassis fans controlled by CPU temperature sensor in BIOS

NEW

• 3 front fans + rear fan: 4-pin CHA_FAN1
  • Top front fan + side fan: 4-pin M.2_FAN
  • Rear fan: 4-pin CHA_FAN2
  • H115i monitoring wire: 3-pin CPU_FAN
  • Chassis fans controlled by MOTHERBOARD temperature sensor in BIOS

I did some quick testing:

• Prime95 torture test 5 min: max CPU core temp 70C
  • AIDA64 system stability test 10 min: max CPU core temp 50C

The system is much quieter now, even when stress testing. I can now use PWM instead of DC in the BIOS, due to the 3-pin to 4-pin conversion I assume. It seems with DC the min fan power is 60% with around 20% for PWM.

I felt those chassis fans should be controlled by the motherboard sensor rather than the CPU in the BIOS but I'm not completely sure. Is that ok?

Hey there ...

First, overall, it looks much better. I am really quite stunned at the crazy connection scheme that they used.

A couple of comments - I'd be careful putting 4 fans on a single header. That gives you a potential to go over 1.0A, which is the standard max current for a fan header. You can use the AIO_PUMP header as a standard fan header by enabling Q-Fan control for the header in the BIOS.

The motherboard sensor is typically a better choice in a liquid cooled system. What you want to get is some sense of what the internal case temperature is as you'll need to manage that. If your cooler is configured as exhaust, the case temperature will have a direct impact on the coolant temperature and, therefore, the minimum CPU temperature. The stress tests that you ran don't test the heat load generated by the GPU and that's going to be the biggest heat source inside your case. I like to use ROG RealBench to test the full system load - you can go for something different but you'll want something that loads both CPU and GPU.

Thanks for the caution about the 4-fan config. Actually my motherboard did suddenly stop. Almost like a power failure: system suddenly completely off. But I have it on a UPS so I know there was no power failure. Would an overload do this? Working ok now fortunately. I'll rewire those fans...

Yes, my GPU gets to at least 75C, you can really feel it. So thanks, I'll look into testing that too.

Unfortunately, the BIOS did not provide an option to monitor AIO_PUMP with the motherboard sensor, only CPU and some other sensors I'm unfamiliar with. And I can't rearrange CHA_FAN2 without removing the GPU. So for now I did it this way:

• 3 front fans: CHA_FAN1
  • Top Rear fan: CHA_FAN2
  • Top front fan + rear fan + side fan: M.2_FAN

Can those slots handle 3 fans? From what I found the Corsair HD RGB fans are 0.3A. Only the rear and side fans are not HD. I'm not sure what they are. Hopefully those two sum to less than 0.7A.