Corsair Community

Random Shut Off Problems

MOUSECORD

I recently baught Corsair TwinX 1GB (2x512) PC3200 Xtreme-LL DDR Memory And it seems when I am gaming my computer will just randomly shut off. I never had this problem with my old 512ram i had in but I baught this ram about a week ago... These are my specs:

Neo2 Plat

a64 3200+

rx9800 pro

380watt powersupply...

I tried running the ram at different voltages, it said it was tested at 2.75 so i tried and no improvement...I ran memtest and i'm failing after 20cycles every time. I'm not sure whats going on I updated windows, my bios everything...I thought it may be heat but I was told the ram should not overheat at lower voltages then tested at. And my CPU is running at about 35-38degrees. Do you have any idea what could be going on? :sigh!:

I have no larger PSU and i ran memTest.. not the booting one.. i have no floppy drive... and i tried each stick seperate so i don't see how a PSU would change anything... i ran onefor 2 hours on prime95 the other runs for 1-2 min...

The test i did before that you did not understand was this

http://www.hcidesign.com/windows/

but prime95... one stick totally failed out

• Corsair Employees
And with a PSU that is maxing out or weak, as they reach their limit they will start to allow more AC noise to bleed into the DC voltage and some MB's will do strange things, but I have seen this scenario cause errors in memtest and if you do a search for PSU I think you will see several posts where this has been confirmed. I would if you can suggest testing the modules in another system, as that would help isolate that. With the PSU it's not so much what it is rated at as it is the max continuous out put and most 350-380 Watt PSU's Max Continuous out put is about 240-280 Watts, and with the config you gave your system would need about 300-320 Watts Minimum.

• Corsair Employees
Some modules will run without any problem at a lower voltage, and some will simply not run on it; Yes you have changed the voltage settings on your BIOS, but if your PSU is not producing constant power to the system then applying 2.8 volts will still not solve your problem since maybe it is only producing 2.6 or 2.7 volts.

Ok so some sticks will need more power then others even though they are suppost to be the exact same sticks and run together?... I ran this system on a 300 watt supply until recently i got the 380 i do not see the Power supply being the problem... one stick fails the other dosn't thats it :[pouts:

It must be defective. When i run them together it crashes, when i run the defective Module alone it crashes, when i run the Module that is not defective it runs flawlessly... If you would like I will take it to where I baught it and ill have them test it so they can see also...

I am running the one that does work and since i did the tests and found that the one failed i havn't had one single problem... but i'm only running 512 and the other one is just sitting there...

THANKS! i've been a big help in finding what was going on but is it possible to get a ticket# or something.. for proof I talked to you because i always end up running out to the place and them telling me something else and me leaving... is that possible? For The RMA form?

Archived