Corsair Community

Brand New H115i pump going bad already?

MazrimCF

I purchased the H115i to replace an x61 Kraken that I was moving to cool my i7 6800k system. After mucking about getting the right version of Link downloaded I had to go to work and didn't have time to test out the cooler under a benchmark load. When I got home I installed Link set the cooler to

performance and started a quick Realbench stress test on my i7 8600k at 5.0Ghz and 1.3 Vcore.

Temps were a little higher than normal but I noticed the pump making a funny noise every 30 sec so I took video and put it on youtube is it just getting the air out of the system or should I start the RMA process?

[ame=

]
[/ame]

Yes it is doing it in balanced mode under load when in quite mode I don't run benchmarks as the cooler doesn't speed up the pump even though the cpu temps hits 80c

I think we need to get into specifics about coolant temp. You should not hit 80C on a delidded Coffee Lake at that voltage. In fact, aside from the 8700/8600 difference, we are running the same combination and I can barely break 60C using Intel Burn Test at max.

What is your coolant temp at idle (H115i PRO Temp)? How does this compare to room temp (typical is +4-7C above)?

When you run a load, play a game, stress test, what is your coolant temp delta? How much does it go up in 10-15 minutes? I have yet to go past +6C with the same hardware combination and voltage settings.

I do think your sound is off. It can be tricky recording in close proximity without amplifying otherwise non-intrusive sounds, bu the overall rhythm is different to mine. Regardless, better to do a quick physical check up to make a return a slam dunk rather than something subjective.

Mine makes this noise in performance mode.

At 0:23 in the noise when i change speed.

Knives, I think you are OK (thankfully). All of these coolers will make noise at the 3000 rpm Performance setting. They should probably rename it "Maximum" because you are unlikely to get any more "performance" out of the 3000 rpm speed vs 2000 and it is absolutely above the noticeable noise threshold. For what it's worth, my $180 EK pump is also quite noticeable at 3000 RPM, while very hard to detect at 2000. There also is a 0-1C difference in coolant temp between those speeds with a steady 350W GPU load. At less than half the wattage and a fairly non-restrictive AIO loop, you won't see improvements with high pump speed. Somewhere in between those two speeds is the noise floor for pumps. I would set it at Balanced and leave it. If you do some really quiet desktop work in a really quiet environment, then you can manually switch to Quiet if you can hear it at Balance's 2100 rpm.

I think we need to get into specifics about coolant temp. You should not hit 80C on a delidded Coffee Lake at that voltage. In fact, aside from the 8700/8600 difference, we are running the same combination and I can barely break 60C using Intel Burn Test at max.

What is your coolant temp at idle (H115i PRO Temp)? How does this compare to room temp (typical is +4-7C above)?

When you run a load, play a game, stress test, what is your coolant temp delta? How much does it go up in 10-15 minutes? I have yet to go past +6C with the same hardware combination and voltage settings.

I do think your sound is off. It can be tricky recording in close proximity without amplifying otherwise non-intrusive sounds, bu the overall rhythm is different to mine. Regardless, better to do a quick physical check up to make a return a slam dunk rather than something subjective.

My house is at 78f which is like 26c and this is what temps are like after 3 minutes with the pump set to quite

https://imgur.com/aShgcec

On balanced the liquid temp never go above 33c but the fans and pump sped up to handle the load.

Even sitting here typing this post with the pump/fans still set to quiet the liquid temp is 33c and cpu is 40~ and only when I switch to balanced does the unit react to the cpu temp everything speeds up till the temps drop to 30c on the liquid 33on the cpu then the unit slows back down.

I used thermal grizzly kryonaut as my TIM and have 3 120 MasterPro fans and the two 200 fans that came with the case as intake (until i can get the mesh front for this case sigh) with the 2 ML fans and one 140 MasterPro fan as exhaust.

I updated the bios on the motherboard and even though I have adaptive voltage set to 1.3v with LLC at 4 Link/CPU-Z and AIDA64 all say 1.44 under load. That said under the balanced preset the cooler is doing it's job with the exception of that noise.

OK, either 2 or 3 separate problems. Let's see if we can make it 0.

1) Voltage overshoot. This is why you hit 80C and now you know you can run 1.44v if needed. LOL. This is an extremely common problem on Z270/370 boards and Asus in particular. There are a few things you need to do in the BIOS.

a) Go into the Advanced BIOS (F7 from reg bios). Extreme Tweaker column -> right at the the top set Multi-Core Enhancement to OFF and SVID behavior to "Best Case Scenario".

b) Half way down the Extreme Tweaker column is CPU Internal Power Management sub menu. Select and drop down to the bottom of the new list. Set IA and DC Load Line to 0.01. This is absolutely critical if running adaptive voltage. It should not matter when running fixed/manual voltage, but I leave mine on regardless. This should cut down the overshoot. I need to run LLC 6 for mine, but that is still only a 0.01-0.015 overshoot. This should resolve the instant high temps. Also take a look at the Asus Z270 Overclock guide when you can (270 and 370 same thing). In particular, page 3 will describe the above.

2) Run the AIDA blend test again with the pump set to Balanced. While going up to the higher speed makes little difference, quite a few people report noticeable worse testing when on Quiet. It is meant to be for soft desktop work, not benchmarking. Do the voltage change first, then run a short 10 min test and let me know the coolant delta on Balanced.

3) Even if we resolve the first two issue, the noise still remains, but I would like to solve the first two regardless and then you can make an evaluation on the third.

The pump on the H115i Pro and H150i Pro are not dynamic in nature. It is essentially a low/medium/high toggle. All Corsair AIO coolers a fixed speed or fixed preset.

Edited by c-attack

https://imgur.com/VMwSJ5B

I followed your tips and got the voltage under control I already had MCE off but the other step were new to me thanks.

It can be tricky recording in close proximity without amplifying otherwise non-intrusive sounds

Got me to thinking and I started trying to get rid off all other sounds except the cooler to that extent I shut off all of the case fans took the panels off so the cooler could get some fresh air and ran Aida and what do you know the noise stopped. I turned on each fan one by one and ran Aida and best I can figure it's the 200mm's vibrating.

I have to reconfigure the layout but the cooler is good to go, Now if CM would just release the mesh front panel for sale.....

Good, that's more like it. The extra chunk of voltage was likely contributing some of the higher coolant temp, but benchmarking at the slower 1100 Quiet speed will add a few degrees to most things. All of your numbers look in line now. I am glad it was relatively simple.