Corsair Community

Retail memory revision relavance?

pctechtv

Looking at ram in retail stores, I notice a lot have different revisions (e.g., rev 5.39). My question is if you mix these does it matter? I was in a store trying to buy 4 x 8GB of DDR4 ram. They were selling them in packs of 2 x 8GB. The only two in stock had different revision numbers. I waited until I could ask the question. Thanks

Yes.

Generally, there is better chance of inter-module compatibility if the module revision is the same, but there is no guarantee.

If wanting 4 memory modules (4 x 8 GB), then it is strongly recommended that a quad channel kit be bought as all four modules within the kit have been tested for and guaranteed to be compatible with each other.

It is possible to get two 2 x 8 GB dual channel kits (with the same module revision, or with different module revision) to work together (compatibly) in some cases by making some adjustments in BIOS, but there is no guarantee of success. It may require trying several 2 x 8 GB dual channel kits until a compatible combination is found.

Archived