Corsair Community

A few questions about H110i GT

RodrigoDRT

So I've a H110i GT that i've bought about 1 and a half years ago, I use it along a 4770K running at 4.4ghz 1.240 V and I think it's running a bit too hot. I've decided to overclock it just now, and back then at auto settings, without OC, i didn't even cared much about temps.

So the thing is, I completely removed it, cleaned, swapped the fans since the originals were rattling and i received new ones from RMA. The radiator had a lot of dust, so I cleaned it with compressed air, also removed the block, cleaned with iso alcohol removing the original thermal tape, and re-applied a rather 3-years old Akasa 450 silver compound wich visually was perfectly fine still, and the weird result is that my temps increased.

while I used to get 71C peak while gaming and 81C'ish while stress testing with Aida64 with it horribly dusty and with the rattling fans. Now with it clean and with the "new" compound (I tried to re-apply 3 times, using different methods, spreaded, center pea-sized amount, 5 dots it didn't mattered much, im just sure the processor is all covered) I get:

76C peak while gaming and 88C'ish on the very same stress tests, TI could blame the thermal compound straight away but I'm also wondering if the fans could also be to blame since i noticed their max speed is 2000 rpm while the old ones were 2200.

also, should the radiator be somewhat hot?

is there a way to measure the coolant temperature?

since it came with a thermal tape instead of compound, would it be better to buy a tape instead?

I can't really tell if my H110i is working at its peak performance, so I'm wondering what should I check to confirm that it is, or at least get some hints on this matter.

Ty very much in advance.

Edited by RodrigoDRT

Your coolant temperature is the "H110i GTX Temp" box in Link, on the right side. This is the key to determining if things are slipping. You should see an idle coolant temp of +4-7C above your room temp. A CPU only load should raise it +6-8C over a short duration. When you get into really long tests, your case design and layout complicate the issue, so keep your load testing short (10-15 min) to focus on the cooler.

Your coolant temperature is the "H110i GTX Temp" box in Link, on the right side. This is the key to determining if things are slipping. You should see an idle coolant temp of +4-7C above your room temp. A CPU only load should raise it +6-8C over a short duration. When you get into really long tests, your case design and layout complicate the issue, so keep your load testing short (10-15 min) to focus on the cooler.

That's definitely something I'll check, plus, my case is a Corsair 780T, I made sure to organize the interior so there's no cables or anything obstructing any air flow. Thanks for the reply.

Update, on corsair link the H110iGT box reads 30.1ºC, fans are both at 1700RPM, pump at 2320i'sh RPM, IDLE. The ambient temp is actually 30.3ºC, so it is slightly bellow.

As soon as i start AIDA64 stress test, it rises quickly but settles at 34.3ºC max on a 15 mins run.

I can assume it's working as intended? I suppose my next step will be to try a new thermal compound, one thats not too old and see if i can lower these temps... sigh...

Update, on corsair link the H110iGT box reads 30.1ºC, fans are both at 1700RPM, pump at 2320i'sh RPM, IDLE. The ambient temp is actually 30.3ºC, so it is slightly bellow.

As soon as i start AIDA64 stress test, it rises quickly but settles at 34.3ºC max on a 15 mins run.

I can assume it's working as intended? I suppose my next step will be to try a new thermal compound, one thats not too old and see if i can lower these temps... sigh...

That does sound like it's working as designed.

Can you verify your max vCore during your load test? As for paste, I recommend the Noctua NT-H1. It has excellent performance, is easy to apply and can be gotten for a reasonable cost.