Corsair Community

3000+ winchester and XMS3200C2v1.1 don't work together

hchu

I've narrowed down my problems (BSODs during Windows setup) to the CPU and memory. It's not the board because the memory controller is on the CPU. Then again, it is also the board's fault because it doesn't supply enough VDIMM.

I know my ram contains Winbond BH-6 ICs, these like lots of voltage ~3.0V. But my board doesn't allow voltage adjustments, and I am pretty sure that it only supplies 2.5V.

So the question is, if I returned the memory to Corsair to get a replacement with the new version that has Samsung TCCD IC's, will the new memory work correctly with the CPU?

Also as a side question, is it possible to get a replacement for the reason I stated above?

I have this motherboard: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/redesign/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=CK804K8MA-KRS%3Cbr%3EAlso%20known%20as%20CK804K8MA-KS

and an Antec TruePower 430W.

I've narrowed down my problems (BSODs during Windows setup) to the CPU and memory. It's not the board because the memory controller is on the CPU. Then again, it is also the board's fault because it doesn't supply enough VDIMM.

I know my ram contains Winbond BH-6 ICs, these like lots of voltage ~3.0V. But my board doesn't allow voltage adjustments, and I am pretty sure that it only supplies 2.5V.

So the question is, if I returned the memory to Corsair to get a replacement with the new version that has Samsung TCCD IC's, will the new memory work correctly with the CPU?

Also as a side question, is it possible to get a replacement for the reason I stated above?

I have this motherboard: http://www.foxconnchannel.com/redesign/products_motherboard_2.cfm?pName=CK804K8MA-KRS%3Cbr%3EAlso%20known%20as%20CK804K8MA-KS

and an Antec TruePower 430W.

i think is motherboard...I have the same memories and a a8n-sli (view my post) and a winchester amd 64 3500+.Memories works at 333mhz dual channel (but not at 400Mhz the mb not as the possibility to manually set frequency!!!)Check the timings (2,5-3-3-8 at 400mhz).

• Corsair Employees

XMS3200C2's are made with Promos or Mosel currantly. But we might be able to check the SPD on your modules if you like. Can you tell me the complete part# and revision of your modules?

Should be like:

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3202 Rev 1.1

i think is motherboard...I have the same memories and a a8n-sli (view my post) and a winchester amd 64 3500+.Memories works at 333mhz dual channel (but not at 400Mhz the mb not as the possibility to manually set frequency!!!)Check the timings (2,5-3-3-8 at 400mhz).

i have sent my motherboard back for a replacement, just to make sure.

the default timings were 2.5,4,4,9 at 400mhz.

XMS3200C2's are made with Promos or Mosel currantly. But we might be able to check the SPD on your modules if you like. Can you tell me the complete part# and revision of your modules?

Should be like:

CMX512-3200C2

XMS3202 Rev 1.1

I do not have the memory to hand at the moment. Both modules were purchased at the same time in December of 2002. Both modules have part number CMX256A-3200C2, XMS3202 Rev 1.1. The last number I don't know at the moment. SPD at 200MHz is 2.5,4,4,9.

The memory used to run in my Epox 8RDA+ (nForce2 first generation). It was able to run 166MHz dual channel, but only 200MHz single channel (after Vdd mod to 2.0V). I still haven't worked out whether the problem was the memory or the nForce2 chipset - raising Vmem above 2.77V did not help.

I really need to know the rest of the information to know what the SPD is or should be set too. And I am not clear on the problem. Is the system just not stable or will not run at DDR400? Or are you getting errors in http://www.memtest.org?

I was able to retreive the part numbers after contact with home.

They are:

CMX256A-3200C2PT

XMS3202v1.1

The problem is not very simple. On the first try I tried to install Windows XP onto a Western Digital 7200rpm 30GB ATA100 hard drive. This failed readily when setup tried to detect IDE devices, or during fomatting, or even during the graphical install. The failures were in the form of BSODs or reboots.

Then I tried installing to a Seagate 8.4GB ATA66 hard drive. This was successful, but I did not run stability tests to see how stable this was. I suspect it would probably not have passed the Prime95 torture test.

Finally I tried installing to a Samsung 7200rpm 160GB SATA hard drive. This was successful up to the graphical portion of setup, where it would readily BSOD during detecting devices.

Finally I tried setting timings manually to 2.0,2,2,11,2T. This corrupted the BIOS, prompting me to return the motherboard for a replacement.

Extra info: I ran one pass of Memtest86+ at 400MHz dual channel without error. During the first try at installing XP to the Western Digital I tried lowering the memory frequency to 166MHz (still at dual channel) and this was successful as far as the saving settings portion of windows setup.

• Corsair Employees

I would try and manually set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the memory Freq. to DDR400 then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If you have problems we will be happy to replace them.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

I would try and manually set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and set the memory Freq. to DDR400 then test with http://www.memtest.org to be sure. If you have problems we will be happy to replace them.

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Thanks RAM GUY. I think voltage may be the problem, but unfortunately I cannot change the VDDR through the BIOS, it is stuck at 2.5V. When I get my replacement motherboard I will try those timings, and if memtest fails I will arrange to RMA my memory.

• Corsair Employees
Please let me know, but the suggest voltage for JEDEC defined spec for DDR400 would be 2.65 Volts +- 1.0 Volt, so if they don’t give you the option to set the voltage I would try another make of MB, if you can just to test them.

Hi,

I have the same board called WinFast CK804K8MA-KS made by FoxConn (µ-ATX-Size).

My RAM is TWINX1024-3200LL (2-3-2-6)

This RAM is not in the list of pretested Modules suggested by foxconn (like yours)...

And I had the same problems (BSODs or reboots), when I was installing XP OS. It looks really like that there is not enough VDimm (only 2,5V). The RAM was not working with 400Mhz on that board! I have seen more guys with the same problems with that board on forumdeluxx.de

solutions for now:

- With 333Mhz everything works fine up to 221 reference cycle. I know I'm loosing speed but now the system is absolutely rockstable! Because of the higher reference cycle the RAM speed is somewhere about 360Mhz in DC-Mode -> not to bad.

- change RAM

possible solutions for future:

- Some guys are working at the moment on bios- and/or hardware-mod to fix that and other OC ;-) problems for that particular board.

- Maybe Foxconn will give us a bios-update some day...

• Corsair Employees
Well I am sorry, but aggressive modules like these do require that you use a MB with more options in the bios sometimes. Foxconn is from the OEM segment so they are not used to an enthusiasts requirements. I think they make a good quality product but maybe not the best suited for over clocking or running with aggressive non standard memory!

Well I am sorry, but aggressive modules like these do require that you use a MB with more options in the bios sometimes. Fooxconn is from the OEM segment so they are not used to an enthusiasts requirements. I think they make a good quality product but maybe not the best suited for over clocking or running with aggressive non standard memory!

100% agree !

The problem is, that in the small-form-factor-sector (like Micro-ATX) the air is very thin for a powerfull lan pc (Socket 939, PCI-Express).

Foxconn has released three µ-ATX Boards with really nice features (look on foxconnchannel.com).

BTW: The small fan on the northbridge of these boards is running with 7000 rpm and is making a lot of noise. In my opinion these boards are not for HTPC. In my small LAN-PC a X850XT is running on that board.

So, if the pressure from the customers comes up hopefully we will get better bios versions.

• Corsair Employees
Yes, I would agree. You might send them an email and explain the situation too them and maybe give them a link to this thread. We will be happy to help them and or make suggestions. But as I said they seem to be in another planet sometimes. Not putting them down, just this is not a segment of the market they have focused on, at least it appears that way. However, I know they have been more aggressive in general and would probably be more open to realistic and constructive suggestions. And I think they have some of the best quality control in the industry.

Archived