Corsair Community

Weird issues with H90 and CPU temps

davyg

eh up peeps, Have been using the Corsair H90 cooler for a few months now, all has been working fine until today when I noticed very high CPU temps, I have double checked all settings in the BIOS and I have never overclocked the ASRock 990fx Extreme6 Socket AM3+ 7.1 CH HD Audio ATX Motherboard

AMD FX 9370 4.4GHz Socket AM3+ 8MB L3 Cache.. the CPU temp normally floated between 30c-34c on idle, but for some unknown reason these temps shot up to over 50c !!!

I downloaded a small HI-DEF 1920x1080 @29fps as a test bed for use in Premiere Pro CC 2017, and then exported it as is.. the CPU temp shot up to 64c .....is this normal? or has the H90 developed a fault...if it has then this will be the 4th Corsair product that has gone tits up on me in the last few months.....:sigh!::sigh!:

410596137_hightemp.thumb.jpg.ce2413d09b095ea3f70afc1abcc8b81b.jpg

No direct way to see coolant temp on the H90, but you can approximate. If you cold boot or wake, can you watch the CPU temp creep up? If you are idling at 50C, that would normally correspond with a coolant temp of around 45C. That also means the exhaust coming off the radiator should be 45C — very warm. Does the exhaust feel warm or cool? Also see if you can get a pump speed reading from the bios or other monitoring program. A H90 should have a pump speed of approximately 1500 rpm.

CPU temp now idling at around the 28c mark.....crept up to 32c whilst I was composing this reply..... something weird is going on with the H90..I have the cooling fan blowing cold air from outside the PC case onto the radiator, I have the pump hooked up to the cpu header and running at full tilt, the cooling fan is hooked up to a chassis header as is the 2nd case fan...

That appears to be back to normal. It is possible the pump glitched and did not start or something simple like an air bubble momentarily was choking the flow rate. Just keep a look out to see if it happens again.

Regardless of orientation, the air coming off the radiator will be roughly equal in temperature to the coolant fluid. So if you idle at 50C with standard power settings, then the coolant and air off the radiator should be nearly the same temp. This is an easy way to diagnose a flow restriction, with fluid trapped near the cold plate and pump. The only trick is you have to be sure the CPU is really at rest and not running a strong background program like a virus scan or similar that might raise CPU temps in an ordinary manner.

aye, hopefully.... booted up this morning at temps were stable at around 22c, now sitting at 27c while composing this reply.....perhaps it could be down to a Mobo/BIOS glitch and that the temps are being misreported as all is very cool with the system, rad/pipes/pump are cool to the touch...no heated air from rad fan evident when I place my hand in front of the radiator, parts of the mobo are hot though (as I found out to my shock/horror and excessive use of profane words...LMAO)...... I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my original post......cheers :-)

Hmmm ... if parts of the motherboard are that hot to the touch, it might be worthwhile to look at your overall airflow. That heat has to go somewhere, right? So it'll warm up the interior of the case. That will wind up being pushed through the radiator. If that air is warm, the radiator won't cool off. In fact, if that air is warmer than the coolant, it'll actually heat, rather the cool, the coolant.

Hmmm ... if parts of the motherboard are that hot to the touch, it might be worthwhile to look at your overall airflow. That heat has to go somewhere, right? So it'll warm up the interior of the case. That will wind up being pushed through the radiator. If that air is warm, the radiator won't cool off. In fact, if that air is warmer than the coolant, it'll actually heat, rather the cool, the coolant.

Yep, I have 2x140mm exhaust fans hooked up to the system... the Corsair fan is pulling cool air from outside the rear of the PC case and pushing it over the radiator, air from the rad fins is not warm at all.....will keep an eye on things to see how it all pans out...:D: