Corsair Community

Help! Keyboard troubles

zarrona13

I spilled a bit of water on my keyboard, mainly just the bottom row where the window's key, spacebar, and a bit on the home row where G and H are. Now i cleaned up all the water, and it wasn't much to begin with. This happened last night and it was working flawlessly, now this evening I was using it and i noticed that some indicator lights on the top right part with the audio buttons and all of that were green. Even though i had the profiles where the lights stay off until they have to light up, like wave and rain, or since i have the on type lights, they stayed green. When i switched to solid red, they stayed a different hue of red, almost yellow/orange or even spiral rainbow those lights went into a different hue . I unplugged the USB connection, and pressed buttons and the green did start to dim, but now i noticed the lights stay on only when num lock is off. Even now after i messed with it a bit more, it's only switched to when scroll lock is on. So the lights are green and even that one key next to the right window's key is now lit with a dimmed green. Anyone know any solutions? This barely started happening, when it was fine last night.

Hi Zarrona.

The reason it wasn't "showing" signs of water damage last night was probably because the water hadn't had a chance to seep into the crevices under the switches.

I don't know alot about these boards yet, but the fact that you mentioned the water was spilled near the bottom row, and now you notice the lights near the top where the media keys are, would mean there is water in a trace wire or connection that leads up to that area. And it makes sense because the lighting profiles depend on each other to produce....say a wave effect profile.

Solution......hmmmm obviously any electrician will not help. And this is DEF out of any computer store repair department's league. Now given the fact that spilled water is NOT covered under Corsair's warranty, you now have nothing to lose with regard to trying the most obvious fix first, then escalate to a more costly option. So it would seem to me you have 3 options

1. ******BEFORE YOU TRY THIS, MAKE SURE YOUR HOME'S AIR IS NOT DRY****Otherwise, you run the risk of a static charge and possibly "bricking" your board.....IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THIS FIRST OPTION, THEN PROCEED TO OPTION #2, or option #3.Now that we got the cautionary stuff out of the way, see if you can remove the cover on the back of the board. Then using a hairdryer, use it to dry the areas where your board is giving you trouble. This will get rid of any dampness if any, left around the electrical connections. There may be dampness that you cannot see, so take your time and be thorough. Do NOT use a cloth or paper towel in an attempt to wipe it up. This is a long shot ok?....as the damage may already be done, but like I said, since spilled liquids are not covered under Corsair's warranty program, you have nothing to lose right?

OPTION #2. Contact Corsair support, tell them your problem and ask if you can create repair ticket....[YES that means you will have to pay for it]....then send in your board for repair and throw yourself at their mercy. Be sure to ask for an estimate if you can, before they do any repairs to it.

OPTION #3 Throw yourself under the proverbial bus [not literally], and pony up another 200 USD.... or $304.08 Cdn go out and buy another one....but not before you say 100 Hail Mary's, and swear to the almighty "GAME-GOD", that you will NEVER drink any liquids around your rig again.

Edited by paybax