Corsair Community

H115i: Probably bad thermal sensor? (Non-logical, too high temps)

BeatPlay

So after my H110i GTX having a pump failure I got a H115i, pretty good cooler for my CPU, but I have spotted the thermal sensor of it resist the laws of physics, the cooler has a higher temperature (32C), than the CPU (27C) in idle.

How I understand physics two objects with a set amount of energy will equalize said energy between them and not suck them out of one object. Am I wrong there? :confused:

but I have spotted the thermal sensor of it resist the laws of physics, the cooler has a higher temperature (32C), than the CPU (27C) in idle.

You would expect those to be the other way around tbf., my cooler is at 29.4 and my cpu package is at 33.0...

Also remember your CPU socket -> cores -> CPU lid -> TIM -> cold plate -> coolant fluid -> H115i temp sensor all have adjacent relationships rather than existing in the same space. Heat is transferred and retained at different rates, mostly based on material composition and how much there is of it. In theory it could all be the same temperature, if the thermal transfer was perfect both ways and we could measure it hyper accurately. In practical terms, I am not sure you will ever be able to really get a hold of the real core temp data on something that voltage applied to it an incredible number of times per second, during which most monitoring programs will check exactly once, if that.

I would see this a lot with my HW-E CPUs. When at the desktop with most of the power saving features on (adaptive voltage, c-states, etc.) and the frequency down, my cores would drop several degrees below the coolant temperature. However, coolant temp would mirror my "CPU temp", which was a sensor in the lid and most influenced by the coolant temp. On those CPUs, I have a CPU package temp (socket temp), CPU core temps, and CPU temp (lid). Or at least that is how AIDA displayed them. Different programs may attach similar labels to some or all of those values. You can try a different monitoring program to compare (with Link full exited). This never happens on my 8700K, probably because those cores never stop moving, even with full power saving features.