Corsair Community

Abit AV8-3rd eye

TidyBhoy

Abit AV8-3rd eye, AMD Athlon 3500+, and Corsair CMX512-3200XLPRO

With both sticks of RAM in absolutely nothing happens, with 1 stick in I get a Screen up saying press TAB to enter post screen, press DEL to enter setup. Then it freezes and bios wont load.

Is this a common Problem?

this is a pc i built myself, it has been sent away to experts in the field who tell me the ram is faulty, is there assessment accurate?

You can try several things when you have the box in hand. 1, run the test from http://www.memtest86.com on each stick indivdually. Also, set your RAM voltage up to but not over 2.8v, 2.7v to 2.8v is fine. If you continue to have this problem with 2 sticks try setting your RAM timings more conservatively for testing purposes. I'd suggest using 1 stick to get into the bios and then set the timings manually to 2.5.3.3.7. In the past, some Intel chipsets have had problems running the RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) at 2. You can probably run this at 3 and be fine with both sticks.

Mike.

3 things then....

1. Have you tried resetting the CMOS? If you do this, try rebooting with only 1 stick of RAM and see if you can get to the bios. If this fails, reset CMOS again and then reboot. While you are booting constantly tap the INSERT key and see if it will boot and allow you into the bios. This method should put the board into its most conservative defaults and will hopefully allow you to boot.

2. If this does not work, do you have access to a single stick of any type of DDR RAM other than the PC3200XL? I have seen in the past on Intel MOBOs where users had to boot and set up the bios with a slower stick of RAM and then add the LL or XL type memory after the bios is setup properly. If you can do this, simply load the setup defaults and make sure the RAM is at 2.5,3,3,7 timings for now so you can reboot and then tune the bios with the XL.

3. Load the test from http://www.memtest86.com . This runs in DOS so you should be able to tell if the RAM is running properly. And, if you have any other DOS based program you can load from a floppy or bootable CS, see if the system will boot and run it.

Mike.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I have 1Gb TwinX1024 3200C2 fitted to a Abit AV8 Third eye mobo in DIMMS 1 & 2.

Unless I'm reading it wrong the bios only shows 256mb but when XP loads it sees the whole 1Gb. Also can't tell if the memory is running in dual channel mode and at the right settings in the bios. Have I got the memory in the right slots and what are the correct bios settings to get it running in dual channel mode?

Archived