Corsair Community

MSI K7N2 Platinum & Corsair 1024TWIN-XMS3200C2

sharpey

Hi

Does anyone have any BIOS settings for this combination in dual channel?

The only way to get the system stable is to run both sticks in single channel mode (slots 1 and 2); when in dual channel I get transient memory errors in Mozilla Firefox 1.0 and frequent crashes in Half Life 2 (I know this game is very hardware intensive, but that's why I bought Corsair...).

I can't even set the Corsair specs of 2.5-3-3-6 in single channel - Windows XP Pro SP won't load up although the machine boots fine - and have to relax these to 3-3-3-8 to get stability. Other specs are:

MSI K7N2 Platinum

XP3000+ 200fsb (x10.5) - stock speed 2100Mhz

TWINX1024-3200C2

Sapphire 9600XT

Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm

Antec Sonata 380W

I'm not interested in overclocking - but I'd like the ram to do what it says on the tin! By SPD gives me 3-3-3-8 - is that correct? Voltage is defaulted to 2.6V - I'm not an overclocker (too scared :bigeyes: ) but would increasing this to 2.7 help at all?

Any help/suggestions gratefully received,

Chris

I would contact MSI on this one. Most likely it is a function of their bios forcing you to run at relaxed timings with 2 DS DIMMs in slots 1-3. IIRC, most NF2 MOBOs try to revert by default to DDR333 with the configuration you have. So, if you are running at DDR400, I suspect the bios wants you to relax the timings.

You can probably test this if you like. Set the system to run at DDR333 and then see if you can run at the lower timings. Also, make sure you have the latest bios loaded.

Mike.

Thanks very much for the tips Mike.

You are correct - it's the BIOS forcing the relaxed timings at DDR400 - I can run 2.5-3-3-7 at DDR333. The BIOS version is dated 16/08/2004 and on MSI's site the latest is 18/08/2004 (!) - worth flashing? Also, the same "relaxation" occurs in both single and dual channel configurations.

Hmmm. So am I right in thinking I can run the CPU fsb @200 and the Ram @166 adjusting the ratio accordingly? Or should I run the CPU and Ram at same fsb? Which is better - relaxed timings but 200fsb or tight timings at 166?

BUT - if I bought 400fsb ram and the m/b is supposed to support it - why won't it work? I feel a bit cheated seeing as I don't even want to overclock. :(:

So many questions!!!

Thanks for any further input - it is very helpful.

Chris

Ugh.

Ok. I have an XP3000+ (400) Barton. When I set its fsb to 200 in BIOS and the DRAM to 166 to get the fast timings (2.5-3-3-7) I set the ratio to 6:5. I still get random hangs during or just after windows startup. Changing the CPU fsb to 333 solves these problems but that means I have to change the multiplier to retain the same 2100Mhz speed. If I change to x12.5 the CPU is recognised as XP2800+ by Windows, at x13 I get a weird 829Mhz (?!) on system tab. What gives? :mad:

Basically I'm tempted to send the whole m/b cpu and ram back as I'm fed up. They aren't fit for purpose. Where's RAM GUY when you need him?

My BIOS is up to date - checked with MSI Live Update - on v11.4. Is my beef with MSI or Corsair or AMD (Or all three :eek: ?).

BTW Thanks to anyone who has any thoughts on this!

Chris

In the past, the AMD rigs do not like asynch operation so I'd stay at 1:1 with both the CPU and the RAM at 200mhz/DDR400 respecitively.

And, I'd say your beef is a difficult thing to isolate. Since your MOBO and CPU and RAM will run 200/400 MSI/AMD/Corsair has met their obligation. MSI did not promise you any specific timings at any given speed. That is a subtle part of the spex that they conveniently omit.

Now, I am on your side in this. Personally, I think you have great RAM and a really good CPU. Changing the CPU will correct none of this so, the only option left is a different MOBO that will run your CPU and RAM better than what you have. However, the small difference in timings is actually VERY VERY small in practical applications. So, if you are content with the system otherwise, you could just keep what you have.

Look around here at Corsair. Also, check in with us over at http://www.houseofmobos.com as there are some guys over there with much more AMD experience than I have.

Mike.

OK. I feel a little silly now... I'll go pick up my toys in a minute and put them back in the pram. :o:

I *know* that practically it makes little difference (well, I'd like the extra frames in HL2, but hey). Kinda upset that after building systems for other people using Asus boards I take a gamble on MSI (wanted the USB and firewire headers) and get caught out.

Thanks for your patience and help Mike.

Chris

Just thought I'd share this with everyone - might come in handy... ;):

Found a solution to the dual channel memory issues I was having with the K7N2 Delta2 Platinum and Corsair TWINX-3200CTPT (2x512). I was getting memory errors and failed boots - see my other thread with "MSI K7N2" in the title. This fix also allows me to play HL2 without crashes!! WooHoo!

Anyhow, to fix:

1. Flash BIOS to B30 instead of the supplied B40 (sounds weird I know). This fixes issues with memory timings and allows you specify manual settings. I used the AWFL833D utility from the MSI website on a floppy - you have to specify /f as a parameter as the BIOS is protected.

2. Set CPU to [Manual] to allow memory timings entry. Leave other settings as default. I'm using an XP3000+ (200fsb in BIOS).

3. Set memory timings to 2.5-3-3-7.

4. Increase DRAM to 2.65V.

Weirdly, running at the MSI default of 3-3-3-8 caused HL2 to crash with sound loops, but at the optimal settings this does not happen. :confused:

Um. I think that's it!

Cheers to everyone on the forums (esp. SpecMike who took the time to help me) - see you online for CS:Source :D:

Chris

Just thought I'd share this with everyone - might come in handy... ;):

Found a solution to the dual channel memory issues I was having with the K7N2 Delta2 Platinum and Corsair TWINX-3200CTPT (2x512). I was getting memory errors and failed boots - see my other thread with "MSI K7N2" in the title. This fix also allows me to play HL2 without crashes!! WooHoo!

Anyhow, to fix:

1. Flash BIOS to B30 instead of the supplied B40 (sounds weird I know). This fixes issues with memory timings and allows you specify manual settings. I used the AWFL833D utility from the MSI website on a floppy - you have to specify /f as a parameter as the BIOS is protected.

2. Set CPU to [Manual] to allow memory timings entry. Leave other settings as default. I'm using an XP3000+ (200fsb in BIOS).

3. Set memory timings to 2.5-3-3-7.

4. Increase DRAM to 2.65V.

Weirdly, running at the MSI default of 3-3-3-8 caused HL2 to crash with sound loops, but at the optimal settings this does not happen. :confused:

Um. I think that's it!

Cheers to everyone on the forums (esp. SpecMike who took the time to help me) - see you online for CS:Source :D:

Chris

That is strange that an older bios works but, who cares if it works eh? Just curious, where did you find this tidbit of knowledge? It may come in handy for others.

Mike.

Hi Mike

Yeah I know it's strange, I've never heard of a newer bios being a bad thing before. I found some posts on the MSI forums at PC Perspective.

There were lots of others that all said b30 BIOS was the way to go. Maybe you can inform RAM GUY as I'm not the only one with this solution; I have already mailed MSI.

Chris

Archived