Corsair Community

Corsair and Mac G5

meridian

Bought 4 sticks of Corsair VS512MB400 for use in my (backordered) Mac G5 dual. Someone on Apple support posted that Corsair RAM is incompatible with the G5 for some reason. The details specifics from Newegg: [QUOTE]CORSAIR 512MB PC3200 VALUE SELECT. VS512MB400 DDR RAM - OEM 184-Pin. CL=2.5-Unbuffered 2.5V. 64x64[/QUOTE] Did I buy the wrong RAM??? Thanks in advance . . .

• Corsair Employees
We have never tested our memory in a Mac system. I have had a customer call in to let me know that he was running 2 sticks of the 3200 memory with no problems. It should be the same with 4 but there are no guarantees as we have never tested it. Ram Guy

Hi RAM Guy! I really appreciate the quick reply. I guess I was mistaken to think that these are all standardized(?) I'd read such good things about Corsair, I was looking forward to trying the brand. I guess I have 30 days to return it, so I will wait for my G5 and see what's what. Thanks again.

Here is some more detailed tech info from Apple: • 400MHz, PC 3200 • 2.5 volt • 84-pin module • Maximum number of memory devices on DDR SDRAM:16 • Nonparity • No error correcting codes (ECC) • Unbuffered (registered or buffered DDR SDRAM cannot be used) Does my Corsiar VS512MB400 RAM meet these specs??? Thanks again.

Yep, you bought the wrong RAM. (As did I...) Dual 2GHz G5, 4 sticks VS512MB400. No joy. When I first put them in, the computer didn't recognize them at all. I then took all the memory out, and put 2 sticks of the Corsair in the 2 slots that had the factory RAM, and the machine wouldn't boot. I tried different sticks in case one was defective, no luck. The only acknowledgement I got from the computer that it saw them at all was that it would flash the power light in a sequence of 3 flashes when only the Corsair RAM was installed, vs. a sequence of 1 flash when no RAM at all was installed. Now to see what NewEgg will do about that restocking fee...:/

• Corsair Employees
I am very sorry that these did not work for you both. But they would technically meet that spec. I would suggest a JEDEC complaint module for this system or any OEM system for that fact just simply because they will not support Cass 2 or 2.5 in most cases. The JEDEC compliant part would be CM64SD512-3200 or CM64SD256A-3200. But since we do not test Apple systems I would suggest that you use the memory suggested by them.

• 3 months later...
I just bought 1GB of Value Select memory for my Dual 2Ghz Power Mac G5 (VS1GBKIT400) on Friday and installed it as directed. I'm running Panther 10.3.2. It seemed fine at first, but then I ran the Apple Hardware Test (2.1) and it failed the Quick Test and suggested that I run the Extended Test to verify the result. I ran the Extended Test and, lo and behold, IT PASSED! I've been using it successfully all weekend doing some photo editing using Graphic Converter and doing an iMovie project and I haven't had any problems yet. It's too bad Corsair doesn't test Mac systems because I believe that it wouldn't be too hard to get that work done. Apple usually sells its systems with minimal amounts of RAM and charges obscene rates for upgrades. They leave the door open for third-party vendors. While I am having success, I'd have a hard time recommending Corsair memory to friends and family since they don't officially comment on whether their products work with Macs. Does anyone care to speculate on what's changed between the time all those people had failures with Corsair memory and my current success? Is it Panther? Did Corsair do something that brought it into JEDEC compliance?

• Corsair Employees
Our Value Select line changes frequently and the IC's that are used have different properties. While you may have gotten IC's that are compatible with you MAC, other's may not have such luck. I have argued the fact that if we had a MAC compatibility sheet we would attract potential business. I however do not make the business decisions. Thank you for the feedback. It helps when trying to make a point.

• 11 months later...
So I'd like to buy some Corsair memory for my Dual 2.0 G5 (original 120nm model) but this thread scared me a bit. Is there a definitive answer as to which Corsair memory will work and which won't? I'd like to get the VS1GBKIT400 but only if it's going to work. According to specs, it should work... Is anyone else successfully running this memory in a dual G5?

I called Corsair a couple of days ago, and the person I spoke with told me that the VS1GBKIT400 would work fine in the dual 2.0 G5 alone, but not with Apple memory. If I put both of them in togethere, it would reconize the ones in the first memory banks. I'd never heard of that before, but per his confirmation, I went ahead and ordered the VS1GBKIT400 since I don't currently have any RAM in this machine. I'm crossing my fingers that it works out.

Archived