Corsair Community

Corsair h110i GTX - possible blockage in tubing

YOYO1626865679

Hey guys, so I decided to make a forum account in the hopes of someone helping me shed some light on an odd issue that I'm having with my 'Corsair h110i GTX'.

I have found that my cooler runs fine for a day, to two days, and then it begins to run hotter for no reason whatsoever. I was doing some trouble shooting and I had a thought - what if there was something blocking the tubing, as everything else seemed to check out. I opened up my PC case and wiggled / tapped on the tubing. Lo and behold, my temperatures dropped down to their usual (this was about two days ago).

Today I noticed that rise in temperatures again. I repeated the above process and the temperatures dropped down to where they should be once again.

My question is, could I have excess air in the system, to the point of a blockage, and could messing with the tubing be dislodging the air for a certain amount of time, thus unblocking the cooling loop?

Thanks for reading, any input is greatly appreciated.

That does sound like some kind of blockage. These things don't typically get better, only worse. I would recommend that you start the RMA process.

You are probably right, and I think I will take your advice and contact Corsair directly about an RMA. Sadly this would make it the second RMA for this cooler, the first being a bad fan right out of the box. I realize that these things do happen no matter what brand you buy, but it's nonetheless disappointing.

Thanks for your input.

The only problem with the AIO RMA is that postage is almost half the cost of the cooler!!!. I wish Corsair would cover postage for these things. In the future I think I'll stay away from AIO's. I have the same H110i GTX. Worked OK for almost 2 years but now it keeps my CPU nice and warm while I'm under-volting and under-clocking.

The only problem with the AIO RMA is that postage is almost half the cost of the cooler!!!. I wish Corsair would cover postage for these things. In the future I think I'll stay away from AIO's. I have the same H110i GTX. Worked OK for almost 2 years but now it keeps my CPU nice and warm while I'm under-volting and under-clocking.

Oh wow, really?! Pffttt.... what kind of RMA / Warranty is that? I mean I can totally believe that the postage will be a bit, since the coolers do have some heft to them, and I'm located in Canada as well, so that shipping cost would be compounded.

I will see what they tell me, but I would rather just buy a newer generation cooler than waste my money on shipping. I wonder if they would upgrade me to a new 'H115i PRO' for some additional cost, though I doubt it.

I have actually spent some time looking at air coolers again as they are just more reliable, but I have four sticks of G.Skill Trident Z, and the height of that RAM does not play nice with the majority of the serious air coolers out there. I would actually prefer something that quieter than my current cooler, but I would also like to keep things aesthetically pleasing inside my case as I have glass side panels that show off the interior of my machine.

I pretty much boiled it down to the Cryorig R1 Universal and the new Corsair H115i PRO. The new PRO is supposedly very quiet, so I'm leaning towards that at the moment, but I'm worried about reliability, since my experience with the h110i HTX has been anything but good.

;943074']

I will see what they tell me, but I would rather just buy a newer generation cooler than waste my money on shipping. I wonder if they would upgrade me to a new 'H115i PRO' for some additional cost, though I doubt it.

I don't think that they do that unless they can't replace your cooler.

;943074']I pretty much boiled it down to the Cryorig R1 Universal and the new Corsair H115i PRO. The new PRO is supposedly very quiet' date=' so I'm leaning towards that at the moment, but I'm worried about reliability, since my experience with the h110i HTX has been anything but good.[/quote']

the H115i PRO is very, very quiet and does an excellent job, primarily due to the ML fans that it ships with. As for long term reliability ... it's a bit too early to tell just yet.

Yes I assumed as much, which is fair. On the readability front, I realize it's a toss up as well, so I will have to give it some thought.

Would you happen to have any idea which cooler is the quietest of the PRO series - The 115 or the 150? I have been trying to read through reviews but results have been mixed. If I'm going to invest in a new cooler then I don't mind spending the extra bit of money if the 150 is the quieter of the two.

;943086']Yes I assumed as much, which is fair. On the readability front, I realize it's a toss up as well, so I will have to give it some thought.

Would you happen to have any idea which cooler is the quietest of the PRO series - The 115 or the 150? I have been trying to read through reviews but results have been mixed. If I'm going to invest in a new cooler then I don't mind spending the extra bit of money if the 150 is the quieter of the two.

I think I replied to this on another thread. The 115 is probably a little quieter but it's not going to be by much. The 150 will have more cooling capacity.

;943074']Oh wow, really?! Pffttt.... what kind of RMA / Warranty is that? I mean I can totally believe that the postage will be a bit, since the coolers do have some heft to them, and I'm located in Canada as well, so that shipping cost would be compounded.

I have actually spent some time looking at air coolers again as they are just more reliable, but I have four sticks of G.Skill Trident Z, and the height of that RAM does not play nice with the majority of the serious air coolers out there. I would actually prefer something that quieter than my current cooler, but I would also like to keep things aesthetically pleasing inside my case as I have glass side panels that show off the interior of my machine.

I pretty much boiled it down to the Cryorig R1 Universal and the new Corsair H115i PRO. The new PRO is supposedly very quiet, so I'm leaning towards that at the moment, but I'm worried about reliability, since my experience with the h110i HTX has been anything but good.

I'm located in Australia. The RMA address is in Taiwan. Shipping cost is $66 based on 2.5Kg weight and $63 based on 2.0Kg weight. A new cooler is about $160-$170 so yeah this RMA really sucks.

I organised for an Express RMA or Advanced RMA because I can't be without a cooler for weeks on end. They didn't have a H110i-GTX in stock so they'll send me a H115i instead. In all fairness there is little to no difference between the two.

I find the H110i-GTX to be very quiet. I have the pump running in performance mode and you can't hear it at all. I have the radiator fans set up on a motherboard fan curve program and under normal use you can't hear them either. In total my PC has 5 fans + 1 PS fan + 2 VC fans and it is dead quiet under normal operation. During gaming the VC fans are the loudest.

All in all, I'm becoming a bit disappointed with Corsair regarding RMA's and also disappointed with AIO's in general. They are great when they're new, they cool extremely well, they look great in the case and they are reasonably quiet but after a while they start degrading. Not sure what's causing this. As far as I can tell, the pump works as it should but the cooler does not cool anymore. There could be some blockage somewhere but from what? Corsair radiators are aluminium. Could this create some residue with time? Then again, a car radiator is aluminium and I don't see much residue in that coolant. If/when this RMA goes on me, I think I will be going back to air.

No, the shipping cost is an issue and you certainly should factor reliability into your purchase decision. Unfortunately, costs of that nature are a fact of life in AU/NZ and several other places as well. Even in the US, the East to West coast shipping cost gives me pause to consider buying something else instead.

There does seem to be more forum traffic regarding partial blockages on the H100i GTX/v2 and H110GTX/H115i models. This was never a dominant issue on past coolers and hopefully will not be one for future models. Best guess is many of these may be "gummed up" from combinations of excess sealant/glue and anti-corrosive salts. I doubt Corsair likes handing out new coolers and paying the shipping back to you either, so it's pretty logical they would like to stop this too. Also, remember there is a patent holding manufacturing partner as well. In general, it feels like reliability across all brands has decreased in recent years. The root cause of this is likely something a lot of people take an interest in, besides consumers. I do wish for a higher degree of quality control and durability in some areas, particularly the pump. That would have to come with a cost and it is unclear if the market would bear it. My EK pump costs more than a H150i total package with fans, radiator, and far more intricate LEDs. These parts exist and can be had, for a cost. It does raise an interesting point whether people in far off locales like Australia are better off with component cooling systems, taking the initial cost on the chin but with a long term cost benefit. A good deal of that may depend on how often you change cases or hardware that might need additional components. I just put together a loop for my GPU. The price stung a bit, but it is a massive improvement on every level from the single 120mm noisy AIO (non-Corsair) it replaced. Still, the advantages for AIO are the flexibility, interchangeability, and no hassle removal. With this set-up, I won't be changing my fans out monthly anymore.

Edited by c-attack

I'm located in Australia. The RMA address is in Taiwan. Shipping cost is $66 based on 2.5Kg weight and $63 based on 2.0Kg weight. A new cooler is about $160-$170 so yeah this RMA really sucks.

I organised for an Express RMA or Advanced RMA because I can't be without a cooler for weeks on end. They didn't have a H110i-GTX in stock so they'll send me a H115i instead. In all fairness there is little to no difference between the two.

I find the H110i-GTX to be very quiet. I have the pump running in performance mode and you can't hear it at all. I have the radiator fans set up on a motherboard fan curve program and under normal use you can't hear them either. In total my PC has 5 fans + 1 PS fan + 2 VC fans and it is dead quiet under normal operation. During gaming the VC fans are the loudest.

All in all, I'm becoming a bit disappointed with Corsair regarding RMA's and also disappointed with AIO's in general. They are great when they're new, they cool extremely well, they look great in the case and they are reasonably quiet but after a while they start degrading. Not sure what's causing this. As far as I can tell, the pump works as it should but the cooler does not cool anymore. There could be some blockage somewhere but from what? Corsair radiators are aluminium. Could this create some residue with time? Then again, a car radiator is aluminium and I don't see much residue in that coolant. If/when this RMA goes on me, I think I will be going back to air.

Yes that shipping cost does look painful, I agree. Personally, I can't have any down time on my machine as it's not just my gaming rig, it's my workstation that I use every day.

My GTX usually runs on the quiet side, up until it gets some heavier CPU load of course. What has frustrated me with it for a while now is that inconsistency of cooling and the exponential fan noise associated with it, due to this possible blockage somewhere inside the system. I mean, I can still deal with it for the time being I guess, but I keep having to open up my case to play with the tubing in order to bring temperatures back down to normal. It used to happen every few weeks, but now its something that occurs more often.

Corsair has contacted me back with a request to provide them with some proof of purchase info. I'm about to send that their way and I'll see what happens from there on.

No, the shipping cost is an issue and you certainly should factor reliability into your purchase decision. Unfortunately, costs of that nature are a fact of life in AU/NZ and several other places as well. Even in the US, the East to West coast shipping cost gives me pause to consider buying something else instead.

There does seem to be more forum traffic regarding partial blockages on the H100i GTX/v2 and H110GTX/H115i models. This was never a dominant issue on past coolers and hopefully will not be one for future models. Best guess is many of these may be "gummed up" from combinations of excess sealant/glue and anti-corrosive salts. I doubt Corsair likes handing out new coolers and paying the shipping back to you either, so it's pretty logical they would like to stop this too. Also, remember there is a patent holding manufacturing partner as well. In general, it feels like reliability across all brands has decreased in recent years. The root cause of this is likely something a lot of people take an interest in, besides consumers. I do wish for a higher degree of quality control and durability in some areas, particularly the pump. That would have to come with a cost and it is unclear if the market would bear it. My EK pump costs more than a H150i total package with fans, radiator, and far more intricate LEDs. These parts exist and can be had, for a cost. It does raise an interesting point whether people in far off locales like Australia are better off with component cooling systems, taking the initial cost on the chin but with a long term cost benefit. A good deal of that may depend on how often you change cases or hardware that might need additional components. I just put together a loop for my GPU. The price stung a bit, but it is a massive improvement on every level from the single 120mm noisy AIO (non-Corsair) it replaced. Still, the advantages to AIO are the flexibility, interchangeability, and no hassle removal. With this set-up, I won't be changing my fans out monthly anymore.

I agree with you on the decrease of reliability across all brands. It's very much hit and miss on whether or not you will get a product with a proper life span or one that fails prematurely.

I built my current machine at the end of 2016, and a good friend of mine did so at the same time. We picked out very similar components for our systems, with many of the core pieces being the same. He also has the H110i GTX, and his has been running flawlessly since day one. With mine I had to RMA a fan right out of the box, and now this blockage problem that has been plaguing me for a good while now.

Corsair replied to me last night so I will see where we go from here. Hopefully this gets resolved in a painless manner.